Barners SW Primaris Progress

sbarnby71

As usual I'm procrastinating by looking for more close combat weapons instead of finishing up my current painting projects, but I had to share this with you folks:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Chaos-Chain-Axes-Chaos-Marines-Warriors-Two-Variants/154212292721?hash=item23e7c4d871:g:t3IAAOSw2gBfvl1s

That's 10 axes for £4.99 on eBay including P&P - now I love Pop Goes the Monkey and what he does, but this is such a bargain, ok they are chaos, but I don't mind that, once I clean of the Chaos arrow from the head and add a wolf skull, they will look awesome.

Took some pics for size comparison the eBay axe has had a wash applied to show the detail (from left to right)

• Axe from eBay
  • OOP Chaos axe, must be 30+ years old!
  • SM Close Combat axe
  • OOP SW Axe

Ebay Axe 1

Ebay Axe 2

I think the seller also does bigger axes, so they would be double handed.
Edited by sbarnby71

• 2 months later...

Not done any updates for a while as I moved house a month ago and have no hobby room (yet), but have been working with a guy on ebay for getting some custom pieces for the Rout, main focus at the moment is for Shields with generic SW symbols, Blood Claw and Grey Hunters.  Hoping to have some images soon. 

But what he has done is created handles in hands, basically I have so many Wulfen axes, but don't want Wulfen hands, don't want to clean them off or faff around, so he created axe handles in hands with a hole at the top so you can pin an axe head easily, but also a hole at the bottom with an extension bit so you can have a longer handle.  I've not got any of them yet, but the images look great so I'm well pleased, go check them out here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15x-Gripped-handles-for-custom-conversions-Marines-bits-accessories-sci-fi-28mm/154406193353

@sbarnby71 that's a really nice idea - something a lot of us have probably wanted at some point.  I printed off a couple of axes in 3D resin, but the designers don't really account for how thin and fragile / brittle they turn out when in resin.

Was the ebay guy easy to work with in your request for these?  I wondered if they would do the same for breacher shield arms etc!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my handles and hands over the weekend and I'm very happy :biggrin.:.

You get 3 different angles of the hands both left and right.  Each handle with a hand has a hole in the top and bottom and each handle extension has a peg at one end, so you can fix it to either the top of bottom of handle with a hand.

Handles2

Here's some size comparisons:

Handles3

From Left to Right:
eBay Handles from DynamicPrints (you would have to pin the handles together (or glue them) to make this)
DeathWatch Heavy Thunder Hammer
DynamicPrints
SW Frost Axe
DynamicPrints
SW Thunder Wolf Cavalry Thunder Hammer
SW Wulfen Thunder Hammer

• 2 weeks later...

Those look pretty cool, Barnby!  The two handles together is a bit long for my taste for anything not a two handed weapon, they look longer than the heavy Thunderhammer bit is, but a short extension (maybe half that haft length) that can be used for metal would be awesome.  I’ll have to check into this guy - I’ve wanted to do some heavy axe and hammer stuff for Marines, but the Wulfen hands throw that off each time I think about it.

Those look pretty cool, Barnby!  The two handles together is a bit long for my taste for anything not a two handed weapon, they look longer than the heavy Thunderhammer bit is, but a short extension (maybe half that haft length) that can be used for metal would be awesome.  I’ll have to check into this guy - I’ve wanted to do some heavy axe and hammer stuff for Marines, but the Wulfen hands throw that off each time I think about it.

I agree the 2 handles is a bit much.  I have spoken to them creating a longer handle and they are looking at making one that is 40% longer which I think would be just about right, I'll keep you folks posted when they start making them.

After a few months of chaos of moving house, my hobby room is finally finished!

office 1

Thought I'd share it before it gets cluttered with all my junk.  I did treat myself to one of those spray booths, so I'm really looking forward to using that. 
Hoping to actually use it in the next few weeks. :biggrin.:

Just got the updated grips from Dynamic Print Studio.  They are 40% longer and we worked out about 10 different hand positions and added rivets to the base pommel.  Also they created a curved handle in the original length.

From Left to right (Original Handle, New Longer Handle, New Curved Handle):

grips mkII

I'm really pleased with these new handles (and the shorter ones too).  I've found that the hole in the handle is 1.56mm in diameter which fits the brass tubing I can buy in my local hobby store, so I made up a new spear using the shorter handle, brass tubing and a Rune Sword from Puppets War:

Spear

The guys are now working on some new ideas for me "Teeth, Tails & Totems", I'll give an update once I have some pictures.

Edit: Adjusted the picture so you can get a better idea of the detail:

grips mkII   2

Edited by sbarnby71

Got the 3d renders for the Teeth, Tails & Totems I've been asking for today.  As we have a lack of Primaris Wolf goodies, I noticed that things like wolf tails and the like are going for silly money on ebay and the Primaris SW Upgrade works out expensive if you want more than one necklace with a tooth on it, so here we go this is what Dynamic Print Studio have created for me:

Wolf totems 2

Wolf totems 3

Wolf totems 4

Wolf totems 5

The pieces I'm really happy about are the bits with the flat attachment so they can be added to the bottom of gun handles.  So I hope you guys like the ideas and they help with making your SW that more wolfy.  Still working on price, but it's looking like £10 including delivery for about 38 bits

Love ‘em!

That’s part of what makes it so frustrating to me - GW could definitely have designed bigger upgrade sprues that are more useful than what we’ve got, and they likely would have made quite a bit off of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Settled into my new painting room and finally finished some pieces:

Some kinda long fang:

Thud1 1

Thud1 2

Thud1 3

And I guess this guy now counts as a Bladeguard Vet (as I put a shield on his back):

Assault9 12

Assault9 13

Assault9 14

Assault9 15

Rest of my Assault Guys:

Assault7 4

Assault7 5

Assault7 6

Assault7 7

Assault6 11

Assault6 12

Assault6 13

Assault6 14

Assault6 15

Assault8 8

Assault8 9

Assault8 10

Assault8 11

Assault8 12

Assault8 13

Edited by sbarnby71

Finished my Judicar and I'm pretty happy with the way he turned out, got the wolf (hopefully) looking like he's walking next to him and this was my first go at painting a wolf.  Biggest pain was getting the angle right of the wolf, then his shoulder, then I had to play around with an armoured hand and do some trimming and filling with green stuff to make it look more like a glove.  Then using Greigor Fellhand's shoulder pad and removing the wolf claw and replacing with a SW symbol.

Judiciar 3

Judiciar 4

Judiciar 5

Judiciar 6

Judiciar 7

Judiciar 8

Judiciar 9

Great job on the Judiciar! Is his frost axe blade made from a Tyranid's lower jaw?

Thanks!  So the axe came from a chaos warrior that was in the very first Age Of Sigmar box set, been wanting to use it for ages.

So the axe came from a chaos warrior that was in the very first Age Of Sigmar box set, been wanting to use it for ages.

In-universe, say he had to kill a Tyranid combat form with his bare hands, after the foul xeno shattered his original power ax's blade; afterwards, he took the Tyranid's head as a trophy, asking a favor of an Iron Priest to make its lower jaw a new ax blade (the rest of the skull is displayed in his room at the Fang). That will make him seem BADASS, as appropriate for a Son of Russ.

A prize taken from a Chaos warrior? That will invite suspicious looks from everyone around him- including Logan Grimnar's Wolfguard, wondering if the Judiciar's actions state he's the Great Wolf's equal, and deserving of that position (i.e., the Judiciar plots to usurp Grimnar). NOT a good thing.

So the axe came from a chaos warrior that was in the very first Age Of Sigmar box set, been wanting to use it for ages.

In-universe, say he had to kill a Tyranid combat form with his bare hands, after the foul xeno shattered his original power ax's blade; afterwards, he took the Tyranid's head as a trophy, asking a favor of an Iron Priest to make its lower jaw a new ax blade (the rest of the skull is displayed in his room at the Fang). That will make him seem BADASS, as appropriate for a Son of Russ.

A prize taken from a Chaos warrior? That will invite suspicious looks from everyone around him- including Logan Grimnar's Wolfguard, wondering if the Judiciar's actions state he's the Great Wolf's equal, and deserving of that position (i.e., the Judiciar plots to usurp Grimnar). NOT a good thing.

I don't actually play, but I do have a narrative in my head when I'm building or painting and I did have a few ideas of the axe.

• He is Marked for Death due to a failing that lead to the death of his brothers, he takes up a Chaos Axe that was taken in the same battle ago and wields it against Chaos only, knowing one day his soul will be taken too.
  • After losing his own axe in a duel with a Chaos warrior, he took it from him and defeated him with his own weapon.  His unwavering faith in the Russ and the All Father make the runes in has armour glow and rage, but it keeps the axe in balance allowing him to wield it in battle.
  • The white wolf is the light to dark of the axe and allows him to wield it.

I basically just like the idea of my Wolves using Chaos weapons that have been wrapped in Runes that keep them in check, but still allow the blades and edges to obliterate Chaos when ever it finds it.  I see the weapons having trapped demon souls that hate being contained and they howl and curse the Wolves who wield them. So deep in the Fang there is a vault that contains these demon weapons and they are only released when Chaos rears it's many heads.

Next up I had planned on an Iron Priest with a couple of Battle Droids or a squad of Outriders, but I got sucked into an idea for another Assault dude:

Assault10 1

Parts run-down:
  • Assault Body (sergeant I think), Aquila removed, empty holster removed, helmet removed from hip armour
  • Assault left arm, chainsword removed and hand has been cut off to change the angle slightly, assault emblem removed from the wrist guard Shoulder pad is MKIII from Burning Propero set.
  • Spear is using the Mortex Guard handles I've used so many time before, with a Frost Sword blade from Spellcrow.
  • Head is Wulfen.
  • Wolf teeth necklaces and diamond on the belt from Dynamic Prints Studio.
  • Right arm is Reiver and shield is Wulfen.

Assault10 2

Assault10 3

Assault10 4

Assault10 5

• Added some Beastmen skull to backpack.
  • Dwarven Axe on the belt with a wolf teeth added to the pommel from Dynamic Prints Studio
  • New pistol added that was made by removing the grapple bits from the Reiver Grapple gun 

Edited by sbarnby71

I don't actually play, but I do have a narrative in my head when I'm building or painting and I did have a few ideas of the axe.

• He is Marked for Death due to a failing that lead to the death of his brothers, he takes up a Chaos Axe that was taken in the same battle ago and wields it against Chaos only, knowing one day his soul will be taken too.
  • After losing his own axe in a duel with a Chaos warrior, he took it from him and defeated him with his own weapon. His unwavering faith in the Russ and the All Father make the runes in has armour glow and rage, but it keeps the axe in balance allowing him to wield it in battle.
  • The white wolf is the light to dark of the axe and allows him to wield it.

I basically just like the idea of my Wolves using Chaos weapons that have been wrapped in Runes that keep them in check, but still allow the blades and edges to obliterate Chaos when ever it finds it. I see the weapons having trapped demon souls that hate being contained and they howl and curse the Wolves who wield them. So deep in the Fang there is a vault that contains these demon weapons and they are only released when Chaos rears it's many heads.

I appreciate your imagination, your efforts at worldbuilding and character development.

I'd been scrolling through some of the 3D rendered figures on eBay and came across some sort of scout in a kneeling pose, so I had to try my own version:

Kneeling Reiver

One thing we are short of is Primaris kneeling legs, so after a long time searching I realised I had the Eliminators from the Shadowspear boxed set.  It took me 2 evenings of carving and Dremelling to get the arms in the right place, then a lot of rebuild of the cloak, but it worked out ok, was a bit annoyed that I could not sit the pistol flat on his supporting arm due to the clip, but I now prefer that slight gansta lean I ended up with:

Assassin1 3

Assassin1 4

Assassin1 5

Assassin1 6

Assassin1 7

Parts rundown:
  • Eliminator body (heavily carved up)
  • Head from Puppets War
  • Pistol from Assault Intercessor, that was cut and switched to the left handed grip.
  • Short sword from Death Watch set with the purity seal carved off as it would sit upside down.
  • Pommel is from a SW Chainsword - but the more I look at it, it makes the handle look too long, so might adjust it.

Will add a few more Wolf trinkets once the base painting is done.

Parts rundown:

• Eliminator body (heavily carved up)
  • Head from Puppets War
  • Pistol from Assault Intercessor, that was cut and switched to the left handed grip.
  • Short sword from Death Watch set with the purity seal carved off as it would sit upside down.
  • Pommel is from a SW Chainsword - but the more I look at it, it makes the handle look too long, so might adjust it.

Thank you for the info. It will be useful if I ever pose a Marine kneeling down to scalp a defeated enemy or take other trophies.

• 2 weeks later...

After working on the kneeling Eliminator, I just wanted more of that and I've wanted to do a Superhero landing pose for ages, so set about carving up an Assault Intercessor.  The pose is not 100% perfect, but I think a bit more carving and I can get pretty close:

Landing1 1

Landing1 2

Landing1 3

I think I need to straighten his power fist arm out so he is not leaning as much, or I could cheat and build the base up in that area.  It's going to be tricky putting him together as both legs and his left arm need supporting so I think I'll use some wire in the joints, then build up the joints with GS and try not to get all the joint work done in one go, build it up in stages.

I'm thinking spear in his right hand or a double handed sword.