Barners SW Primaris Progress

sbarnby71

One thing though... If he is left alone on that planet, how did he keep such a clean haircut ?

I know, I know, it's bugging me too, he needs to have a massive bushy beard or a true Son of Russ can shave with a Terminator Axe. :wink:

Had a few hour on this over the weekend and created the weapons he'll be carrying.  Had a mangled SW Terminator Axe, cut the handle off and created a new one using a spring I bought in Japan earlier in the year that is reinforced by a paper clip:

Warlord1 18

Then added the tooth and stone from a SW Power Sword as a pommel:

Warlord1 19

Then used the rest of the Dark Elves spears to create handles and made blades from a SW Power Sword with some chips added and a Chaos Warrior sword.  And in the top of the picture his main spear has it's head now:

Warlord1 20

Want to paint these up before they are added to the quiver so I can get all the detail as they are gonna be a little cramped.

Did some work on the loin cloth Wolf Pelt and then started wolfing the Warbeast with a Long Fan Skull:

Warlord1 21

Then added some Dwarf shields and wolf skulls, then added some damage and bullet holes:

Warlord1 22

Warlord1 23

The red paint was just a tester, but I'm going with a light tan for all the leather work as I want to look like he made the saddle or it was made by a local, so nothing too lavish.

Added a skull to the Warbest's mane (taking the inspiration from the Stonehorn):

Warlord1 24

• 2 weeks later...

Been getting a little obsessed with spears at the moment so been trying our some different poses with Reivers and then I thought I'd try and create a pay-back for the Alpharius model from FW.  This is my start:

Alpha1 1

Unlike the cowards of the Alpha Legion, my proud son of Russ won't be stabbing his enemy in the back, no he will be looking him dead in the eye as he runs him through!

Just got to find an Alpha legion looking model that is not a hella expensive FW one.

Finished the bits and bobs on the saddle an started laying down some colour, but I'm not 100% sure on the red on the padded part of it, I would darken it down more with more shade, but not sure if he would have access to a colour like that if I'm going for the theme of he made it himself or maybe a local tribe made it for him for saving them or just plain old worshipping him like a god cause he's 7 or 8 feet tall:

Warlord1 25

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great buddy, I'm really enjoying how this is all coming together :yes:  I feel you on the weather though, here's hoping for a nice big thunderstorm soon !

Thanks mate,  just wish I could get more done, but we'll soon be moaning when the cold weather kicks in!

Brothers, I need some inspiration for my warbeast:

Warlord1 28

Warlord1 27

I can't get my head round how to do his mane... My thoughts were to go really white with just a light grey for the shading, other option is to go for a Mechanicus Standard grey with highlights.  I did do some Mechanicus grey on the nose and mouth, but it just looked to severe, but I wanted it to have that wet look most pack animals have around the nose and mouth.  Any suggestions?  

Had a bash at trying some extra colour on the face, started out my dry brushing Vallejo Basic Flesh, that looked a bit gank, so added some Apothecary white back to it to tone it back down, then some Black Templars Contrast paint in the nose and eye sockets with a little water to make it streak, still not 100% sure.

Warlord1 29

Started to put all the bits together now and I'm not sure on the Shoulder pads - they are from Pop Goes the Monkey and I think they were Tartaros pattern and they just look like they are sitting too high, maybe if I file down the tops of the shoulders on the arms they will look better.  If I do use them I will add some fur coming out from underneath, which may make it look less like they are just balancing on his shoulders:

Warlord1 30

Warlord1 31

Warlord1 32

Excuse the dodgy looking hand, I didn't want to use a decent TDA hand as it will be hidden by the shield, but wanted something (think this came from a 80s SM).
Edited by sbarnby71

Went back and did some new tones on the body, started with some dry brushing of basic flesh, and then just mucked around with some thinned down Contrast paints, started with Black Templar, then Space Wolves Grey.  I used water to thin them as I know it messes them up and I wanted some streaks from the Black Templar as I wanted it to look more like dirt.  I think it makes the skin look more natural now, all the different shades - when I was an art student many years back I was inspired by Boris Vallejo and I always remember him saying human skin is not pink, but made up of blues, purples, red etc.

Warlord1 33

I think I'm going to have to re-visit the face now.
Edited by sbarnby71

sbarnby, that is a very interesting and other-worldy beastie that Lone Wolf is riding, great job! It does look like the Wolf will have a hard time staying seated, but as long as he's not fighting directly from beast-back, it's probably not too big a deal (could be hard to get leverage throwing or thrusting a spear though).

Do his feet have caked-on ice?

Is the weapon rack going on the side of the saddle?

I really like the shields and the dangling rune stones! You were concerned that the Tartaros pauldrons riding too high, but IMO they look great - if you want to fill the space, it would probably look great with some leather straps or even chain dangling down beneath them.

Keep it going, he's going to be a great piece!

sbarnby, that is a very interesting and other-worldy beastie that Lone Wolf is riding, great job! It does look like the Wolf will have a hard time staying seated, but as long as he's not fighting directly from beast-back, it's probably not too big a deal (could be hard to get leverage throwing or thrusting a spear though).

Do his feet have caked-on ice?

Is the weapon rack going on the side of the saddle?

I really like the shields and the dangling rune stones! You were concerned that the Tartaros pauldrons riding too high, but IMO they look great - if you want to fill the space, it would probably look great with some leather straps or even chain dangling down beneath them.

Keep it going, he's going to be a great piece!

I was not 100% happy wth how he is sitting, I should have brought the knees a bit higher so more like a jokey pose, but it was such a pain hacking the legs at the groin I left them.  My idea was the spear would be a simple throwing weapon as he would just use the warbeast to just cover ground as he is on a endless hunt.

Ah the feet are where I added a tread pattern to the bottom as most models have just a flat surface.

I'm still toying with the position of the wepaon rack, I like the idea I was given of having it being like a rifle holster from the cowboy days, but I think because of the length of the spears it might end up looking too odd or even looking like it is blocking his leg so getting on/off the mount would be impossible, so I think once the pose is done and his throwing hand is set I will have a better idea of where it should sit.

I think with the pauldrons I will set them at a slight angle outwards and just file down a few mill from the joint so they sit like a mill or 2 lower as at the moment I think they would obscure his line of sight.  But for sure I'm going to add some detail to them, the chainmail would also look good!

Thanks for the encouragement. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Paint job is now finished so I started to look at where his quiver of spears will sit and the cowboy rifle idea does not work as it would impede movement I think, so for the rule of cool, it's going to have to go on his back:

Warlord1 36

Added his spear and worked on the chain next:

Warlord1 37

Warlord1 38

Warlord1 39

and had my first go at weathering, not 100% sure on it, maybe some slight highlights to the chipping will help.

Edited by sbarnby71

I had a very rare full day to devote to my Wolves this weekend, so while my Warlord on Warbeast was drying etc, I made a start on this guy, I shall name him Master of the Hunt:

Hunt Master 1

Hunt Master 2

Hunt Master 3

Parts run down:
Kor'sarro Khan (removed the severed head from his right hand, removed his left hand).
Shapeways head.
Shield from Maxmini and added a Blood Angel clenched fist to hold it.
Wolf Shoulder pad icon from Pop Goes the Monkey on Shapeways (I will admit I saw someone else do the same, fits perfectly) on the belt buckle.
Wulfen axe head (currently pinned to get the handle length right).
Carved up the base to make it more craggy and will extend it for the axe to be resting on.
Removed the laurel from the left leg and White Scars symbols removed from knee and shoulder pads and trophy rack.
Removed the purity seals from the inside of the cloak.
Edited by sbarnby71