Barners SW Primaris Progress

sbarnby71

Thank you brothers! I take a lot of inspiration from you all. :yes:

So my plan to do the dreaded shading on my latest pieces on Sunday went out of the window because of a kraken of a hangover, so my shaky hands turned to spears once again and I started to build my first Shadow Hunter (Shadow Hunter??? I have an idea of painting up a unit in black, like Death Sworn but not as solemn):

Shadow Hunter1 1

Shadow Hunter1 2

Body and head are Reiver.
Spear arm is SW Power sword arm with hand cut off.
Hand is from Deathwatch Power sword.
Spear comes from the Mortek Guard.
Shield is from Maxmini - who I've just read are closing up shop!
Wolf talisman was hacked from a SW body. 

I wanted to give him an axe and tried various locations on him, but none felt right so I thought it would work as the handle to the shield:

Shadow Hunter1 3

Shadow Hunter1 4

The arm is from the old metal body SM.
Axe is from the Dwarf quarrellers.

My idea it so add some sort of strap to the axe handle so it looks like the shield is held on with the strap and he can just drop the shield or switch to the other hand easily. I positioned the axe so it can just be seen over the lip of the shield so it does not obscure his vision or get in the way:

Shadow Hunter1 5

Shadow Hunter1 6

I want to make 3 or 5 in this theme (which is unusual for me doing an actual unit and not a single standalone mini).

Edited by sbarnby71

Inspiring and breath taking! I just decided to main Space Wolves as my primary army and I was lamenting over the lack of primaris options to fill out the Wolf Priests, Rune Priests and how to generally wolf things and units up. You have lit the way sbarnby71. Thank you!

Keep up the great work! The conversions are quite amazing! Have any updates on the conversion from the Chaos Lord with Thunder Hammer? I may have missed it when I was going through the thread. If so I apologize. I also absolutely love that models pose and wanted to do something with it as well.

Inspiring and breath taking! I just decided to main Space Wolves as my primary army and I was lamenting over the lack of primaris options to fill out the Wolf Priests, Rune Priests and how to generally wolf things and units up. You have lit the way sbarnby71. Thank you!

Keep up the great work! The conversions are quite amazing! Have any updates on the conversion from the Chaos Lord with Thunder Hammer? I may have missed it when I was going through the thread. If so I apologize. I also absolutely love that models pose and wanted to do something with it as well.

Thanks brother!  I was unsure at first with the Primaris and the lack of Wolfness (I think it will take GW years to get us back to the level we saw in normal SW SM), but after hacking a few around I saw lots of potential to mix the ranges and push the limits a bit more (more conversion work than just bit swaps).

The Chaos Lord is still in his blister pack, unopened, sat in a dark cupboard.  I was so hyped when I saw him and thought I'm gonna do great things with him, then when I got him and saw just how much Chaos tenticle bits, I felt a little deflated. But I'm not giving up, he will be done, next year (possibly).

The Chaos Lord is still in his blister pack, unopened, sat in a dark cupboard.  I was so hyped when I saw him and thought I'm gonna do great things with him, then when I got him and saw just how much Chaos tenticle bits, I felt a little deflated. But I'm not giving up, he will be done, next year (possibly).

Well take your time. I am positive that what ever you end up doing with him will look spectacular! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new Chaos Warriors came out over the weekend and I've always had a soft spot for converting the old ones into SW, so I did a quick test run.  Not sure if this guy is going to be a tracker/hunter or maybe another Wolf Priest.

First thing about the new minis are the shields are mostly already moulded, so not many options to attached a SM backpack, second is they have a lot more holes in their cloaks and boots, so for me, I'm going to have to do a bit of filling.

That 8 pointed star has got to go:

Headsman 1 1

I really liked the axe he's carrying but, it didn't tie in with the menacing look he pose has, so tried a few ideas of wulfen axe heads, etc, then I remembered this monster:

Headsman 1 2

The hand comes from Conversion World (the pose-able resin hands).

Head comes from the White Scars Master of the Hunt and a wolf skull I clicked from an old SW torso:

Headsman 1 3

I thought about posing him stood still and the axe base resting on the ground, but I think the look of it trailing behind him makes it look heavier.

Then I played around with some more wolf talismans and tails and stuff, but went for a wolf pelt at the waist and some Wulfen token to hold the cloak:

Headsman 1 4

With the shield cleaned off I added a cast from the Venerable Dred shield, this just need a bit of green-stuff filling at the edges:

Headsman 1 5

Headsman 1 6

Scale wise, these figure stand a few mill higher than Primaris, but a little slimmer.

Hope you like.

Edited by sbarnby71

Excellent work on the former Chaos warrior's shield, but do you intend to make the model into a carapace armored Wolf Scout? If not, he needs a backpack generator to power a suit of power armor.

Thanks brother.  He might be like a tracker/scout due to the lack of real power armour (I just build and paint for fun). :biggrin.:

The shield looks great and the little bits additions help the model, but that axe is too much IMO - I like me a big axe as much as the next guy, but that one is just a bit too much. I do think if you want to add some additional weight to it, you could model the base like the bottom of the axe has been acting like a plow and separate a snow furrow behind it.

How do you do your press-molding? You look like you have a lot more success than my attempts produce.

Overall, thinking that the paint scheme will help sell it and tie it into your existing force.

The shield looks great and the little bits additions help the model, but that axe is too much IMO - I like me a big axe as much as the next guy, but that one is just a bit too much. I do think if you want to add some additional weight to it, you could model the base like the bottom of the axe has been acting like a plow and separate a snow furrow behind it.

How do you do your press-molding? You look like you have a lot more success than my attempts produce.

Overall, thinking that the paint scheme will help sell it and tie it into your existing force.

I do agree the axe is MASSIVE, but I do like the idea of him dragging it through the snow, like it is too heavy even for a superhuman warrior.  Maybe I can call the axe "Burden".

• 2 weeks later...
Finished my first Shadow Hunter:

Shadow Hunter1 11

Shadow Hunter1 12

Shadow Hunter1 13

Shadow Hunter1 14

Shadow Hunter1 7

Shadow Hunter1 8

Shadow Hunter1 9

Shadow Hunter1 10

I wanted a black that looked more like Vulcanised rubber (like Batman), so I started out with Eshin Grey and then 4 or 5 coats of Nuln Oil, there are probably easier ways, but I think the effect works.  The runes on the shield we a total pain to work with as they are so small and tightly packed so I ended up with more of a haze of blue instead of tight lines.  You might just be able to make out the black runes on his chest, they only just show up against the black but when there is not too much glare from the lights it looks good.

Hope you like.