Barners SW Primaris Progress

sbarnby71

Fantastic thread brother!

Some truly unique stuff going on here. That Terminator riding the beast with the various hunting weapons is superb!

Great to see you still doing all this. What happened to your massive terminator wolf lord with the thunder hammer?

Thank you! :biggrin.:  That Terminator on the beast is one of my all time favs (it's in my display case and whenever I look at it I think, flippin'-heck I made that!).

So the Terminator Wolf Lord I think you are talking about is this guy?

Step 45

If so, he's in a different thread:

Good stuff. Could you please tell how you do the casting stuff? The skull on the shield? Iv been trying to do some casting, but dont seem to be all that good of it.

Thank you!  I think I'm gonna have to do a bit of thread on how to do the press-moulds with some pictures, I'll get it done in the next week!

Good job. Is that a severed Dark Eldar/Drukhari head he holds, or that of a foul mutant (Chaos or Genestealer cultist)?

I was thinking the head came from some Chaos scum, thought maybe a Nightlord as his skin is so pale. I did trim his pointy ear down a bit as he looked to Elfish to start with.
That's one wimpy-looking Night Lord. If the Space Wolf wants to display it as a trophy, I think he should have a female serf tie pretty pink bows around the severed head or skull, to humiliate the traitor for eternity.

Started working on the Alpha Legion dude who will make up my next piece - I'm going to flip the FW Alpharius model idea and have a proud Space Wolf spearing an Alpha Legion warrior whilst looking him in the eye!

Duel1 1

Duel1 2

Duel1 3

You might be able to see my Space Wolf in his Shadow-Hunter black armour limbering up for the fight in the background!
Edited by sbarnby71

• 2 weeks later...

Making very slow progress on my Duel characters, but here we go, the fight is almost on:

Duel1 4

Like the new Ragnor model, my guy lost an arm, but he's hella tough and will fight on without it. :wink:

Painting up Alpha Legion is soooooo easy with the new Contrast Paints.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stuck on the pose for my Duel. 

Idea 1 would be a quite flat pose between the 2 with the spear tip piercing the joints under the chest armour:

Duel1 5

Duel1 6

Idea 2. having the Alpha Legion dude higher up (on a outcrop) and my guy boosting up to push the spear under the chest armour.

Idea 3. my guy coming down and striking the throat.

Idea 4. Alpha Legion dude on his back and my guy jumping down to spear him.

In all the poses I'm not sure if the spear tip should be piercing the Alpha Legion dude or just about to.  If it has pierced him then it job done, he is gonna die, if not then it's could the spear be deflected and fight is not settled yet.

• 1 month later...

Next on deck is my Wulfen Terminator Lord:

gallery_86970_14901_147464.jpg

Parts rundown.

Wulfen Head (back braid of hair removed to allow it to sit in the TDA cowl).

DA Deathwing TDA body (with some clipping done).

SW TDA legs.

Twin Wulfen axe heads with handles made from 2 Chaos TDA sorcerer staff handles.

Left arm DA Deathwing TDA.

Right arm Grey Knights TDA.

Hip armour plates were filed down and Wulfen Shoulder pads added.

I'm thinking of adding the SW TDA cloak/wolf pelt but not sure if it will look too "regal", at the moment I think he looks brutal and cloak might detract from that. Also thinking of adding a Wulfen Stormfrag launcher.

Shoulder pads will depend on if the cloak is added, then simple GW style, if not then maybe Puppetswar Norse pads.

Edited by sbarnby71

Started working on a few more Reivers and wanted to create a new spear for one of them.

Started off with the Wolf Head from Terminator Hammer with about an hours worth of trimming, then drilled through the mouth to add the Blade from a SW Rune Sword:

Spear4

I hindsight I should have moved the pin higher up as I feel the blade is sitting a little low.

Next up one of the resin hands from Conversion World, heated it up and then used a bamboo skewer to open the fingers up and used some 1.57mm brass tubing to make the handle.  I based the handle length on the height of the Reiver.  Once the hand was in the right place, I applied super glue to the palm to hold the tube:

Spear5

Then heated up the resin hand again and closed the fingers around the shaft:

Spear6

Added a 2mm ball bearing to the pommel of the spear and dry fitted the wolf head, won't fit this properly until I get a final fit on the arm as I want to keep the wolf head at the best angle for full effect:

Spear7

I wanted to see if I could replace the Mortex Guard Spear blade with a SW Power Sword, so I started trimming:

Bone Spear1

With a bit of fiddly cutting and some very thin pinning I got to this:

Bone Spear2

And I think with some very small green stuff work to do this will look pretty good:

Bone Spear3

Been playing around with some poses for my spear chucker and I wanted to do something without a weapon in each hand pose (or weapon and shield), so I came up with these two poses:

1st is the way I would imagine most people would throw a spear, left arm being pulled into the body to help with the twist of the torso:

Spear Test1

Spear Test2

2nd was more along the lines of the new Ragnor model, with a hand outstretched (I would remove the pointy finger hand and replace it with the one from the previous pose, the grabby hand):

Spear Test3

Spear Test4

I'm leaning towards the 2nd as I could maybe have him gripping something, maybe a wall or iron rebar and look like he was about to jump over something

• 4 weeks later...

I recently ordered some Norse looking shields from an ebay seller who makes them:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/winterdynecommissionmodelling

They are black plastic, I ordered the 2 different sets of the large size (normal and damaged 10 of each), that worked out to just under Edited by sbarnby71

Clipped the centre dome from 2 of the Norse shields and added some wolf icons:

gallery_86970_13620_629235.jpg

I had to trim both icons down a bit, the first one is more noticeable as I had to clip the diamond shape, second was just cutting down the chain links and taking a bit away at the top of the skull. But they should look fine once painted up.

I commend your skills as a sculptor.

I can't take the credit, they are made from press moulds with blu-stuff.

I've used the same technique but would value your insight re. how long you leave the green stuff in the blue stuff before removal. I've tried immediate, tacky and fully set with varying success. I am yet to try letting them cure in water while still in the blue stuff.

I commend your skills as a sculptor.

I can't take the credit, they are made from press moulds with blu-stuff.

I've used the same technique but would value your insight re. how long you leave the green stuff in the blue stuff before removal. I've tried immediate, tacky and fully set with varying success. I am yet to try letting them cure in water while still in the blue stuff.

I let it cure over night or at least a good 4 to 5 hours.  Never tried curing in water.  Are you having issues with the release of the green stuff from the mold or the quality of the imprint you get?

Finished the 1st of my spear wielding Reivers (using the spear I showed earlier), I added an extra piece where the shaft of the spear meets the Wolf Head:

Reiver Spear 1 1

Reiver Spear 1 2

Reiver Spear 1 3

Reiver Spear 1 4

Reiver Spear 1 5

Reiver Spear 1 6

Reiver Spear 1 7

Just need to clean up the edge of the base and he's done.

I might have taken too many pictures!
Edited by sbarnby71