How do you equip your Sternguard Veterans?

helterskelter

I would take a couple combi-meltas.

If you're looking for a platform for Combi-meltas, Company Veterans are a superior option as they get their look out sir ability (as situational as it may be).  Swapping weapons on Sternguard wastes their special abilities.

Their special ammo doesn't work for combi bolters ?

Special ammo doesn't exist for Sternguard.  They have a "Special Issue Boltgun" with better range and AP. 

When upgrading to a combi-weapon you replace the Special Issue Boltgun entirely.

I would take a couple combi-meltas.

If you're looking for a platform for Combi-meltas, Company Veterans are a superior option as they get their look out sir ability (as situational as it may be).  Swapping weapons on Sternguard wastes their special abilities.

I think they can also take a chainsword alongside the combi, which makes them also superior to Sternguard. 

Their special ammo doesn't work for combi bolters ?

Special ammo is a thing of the past for Sternguard. They are equipped with a special issue boltgun, not special issue ammunition like Deathwatch. A combi weapon uses the standard boltgun profile, not the improved special issue boltgun profile.

For Sternguards I'd go with their Special Issue boltgun, period. If you give them other weapons they lose the only thing that makes them Sternguard and you could just as well go with Devastators or Company Veterans and such.

This.

Depends on how mobile you want your Sternguard to be I guess. I think I'd rather have the Heavy Bolter on Scouts who sit on objectives turn 1 already or on Devastators who can double shoot the Mortal wounds for a turn.

You really want your Sternguard up close to rapid fire and charge to maximise their potential. Heavy Bolters are okay but really a waste of points if you're moving, rapid firing with Masterful Marksmanship and then charging.

Heavy flamers though...

Ultimately, I won't go less than 8 special issue Bolters. That kind of numbers means you'll hurt something at least. Plus it keeps costs down.

It's tempting to use Sternguard with Masterful Marksmanship on a heavy target and only get a few wounds or kills. This feels like a waste and probably is. Concentrate on infantry and you'll have a powerful spear tip unit.

If Rhinos come down enough Sternguard can lead some Tactical squads with their specials and combis and so some damage as a full on spear tip.

Fingers crossed there. That's a build we all miss.

It's tempting to use Sternguard with Masterful Marksmanship on a heavy target and only get a few wounds or kills. This feels like a waste and probably is. Concentrate on infantry and you'll have a powerful spear tip unit.

Yeah, Sternguard are an anti-infantry unit primarily. Masterful Marksmanship on a vehicle is fine, but should be used as an, "Oh crap, I want to kill/degrade that vehicle after my other anti-tank failed!" Against some light vehicles it's pretty good though (eg, Venoms, Raiders, Starweavers) as they're pretty fragile so getting a mass of wounds on them is solid for bringing them down.

I've been thinking of ways to use drop pods for some time, even with their ridiculous costing. One iteration is a shock unit:

2 Drops Pods

8 Sternguard in each, all with SiB.

1 Captain w. Storm of Fire, potentially chapter-master'd.

1 Lieutenant

1 Apothecary

1 Company ancient w. relic banner.

Drop in on turn 2, pop stratagem as needed, re-rolls of at least 1's on wounding and hits, medic support for the inevitable deaths, banner there to shoot again and depending on how you kit the lt. and capt. a bit of melee punch too (with the sternguard's 2 attacks each).

All tots up to around 740ish points depending on character loadouts.

Archived