New project choice

General Strike

So, I have Blackstone fortress on the way, and am waiting on better weather to paint my remaining knights, but in the mean time I have a few projects I'm debating between next. The first is to do some Thunder Warriors, the second is to convert Morathi and some snekk ladies into Fulgrim and some possessed. What do you think I should pour some time into? I plan to do a conversion and character focus, since I don't play much. I was also considering buying a few of the new robbits from blackstone and making a squad of MoI.

This is the first time I've had to jump back into the hobby, I had some health issues which I found out my last job was causing, which I left got a new and much better job. I'm also getting married, and she wants me to invest more creative time into the hobby instead of buying stuff and letting it sit in boxes. I am looking for a decent commission painter, just to like GW display standards. I find I have focus issues with painting, and have more fun building and writing.

I may be a tad biased, but have you considered Adeptus Titanicus? The kits are amazing and there's more stuff on the way. They've just previewed some alternative weapon sprues which come with different heads etc. If you're into gaming, it offers a different, arguably more immersive, gaming experience compared to 40k. You also get to play with stompy robots, which is a selling point all by itself.

I've started a slow grow project with AT, having got one of each of the Titan boxes (One Warlord, one Reaver and two Warhounds). This conveniently makes a 1250 point force, which is a nice starting point. Something I've struggled with in the past is keeping focused on any given project, so I'm hoping I can get four models painted. 

The low model count means you can take time to individualise each Titan, without it making the project drag on indefinitely. Another benefit to the low model count is that it's a more achievable painting goal than an entire army. That said, if you're going the commissioning route, well painted Titans look absolutely phenomenal. You mentioned you like building. If you want a challenge, try assembling a Reaver Titan's legs without gluing anything on backwards. :p You also get to play with magnets, if that's your thing.

You mentioned your Wife to be is getting you to pursue more hobby time. Never underestimate how valuable having a supportive partner is. If you can involve her in your hobby, all the better.

If it's something you're interested in, take a look through the Adeptus Titanicus sub forum to see if anything grabs your attention.

Hope this gives you something to think about.

Dallo

So, I have Blackstone fortress on the way, and am waiting on better weather to paint my remaining knights, but in the mean time I have a few projects I'm debating between next. The first is to do some Thunder Warriors, the second is to convert Morathi and some snekk ladies into Fulgrim and some possessed. What do you think I should pour some time into? I plan to do a conversion and character focus, since I don't play much. I was also considering buying a few of the new robbits from blackstone and making a squad of MoI.

If you like characters, I'd say Deathwatch. Every other army in the game is largely regimented and singular in look, DW marines can be as crazily different as you want from one another, even up to mixing various types of marines in a single squad. You can also use every single SM range in the game, even including tamer chaos bits, to represent either relics donated to DW or marines from these chapters joining. Even CSM bits work to a degree because of 'blackshields' (who are often suggested to be renegades or exiles), marines from outside of 'accepted' channels joining the Watch under obscured identities. Just look at DW section, particularly the individual conversion projects...

If you like characters, I'd say Deathwatch. Every other army in the game is largely regimented and singular in look, DW marines can be as crazily different as you want from one another, even up to mixing various types of marines in a single squad. You can also use every single SM range in the game, even including tamer chaos bits, to represent either relics donated to DW or marines from these chapters joining. Even CSM bits work to a degree because of 'blackshields' (who are often suggested to be renegades or exiles), marines from outside of 'accepted' channels joining the Watch under obscured identities. Just look at DW section, particularly the individual conversion projects...

I can confirm, Deathwatch is amazing if you want to make bunches of characters. Like, For example, I'm using Chapter-specific stuff to make a lot of my Marines. An example of one that's a kitbash of several kits, including a Chaos Marine kit, is most recently completed Deathwatch Black Shield, Zaron Devsalax, who's TOTALLY NOT a loyalist Night Lord.

Archived