A Custodes, Thunder Warrior, and Astartes walk into a bar...

b1soul

Have you guys seen this bit of artwork?

dj4o5khdner11.jpg

Does this accurately reflect the fluff? I always thought TW were the biggest of the three...ugly, hulking brutes.

The height difference between Custodes and Astartes seems a bit too much, but I seem to recall that Custodes are around a head taller than Astartes.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The eagle-head heraldry indicates participation in the Unification Wars. Only early Terran Astartes would have it (those who entered service during the late Unification Wars period). The World Eater doesn't. He's probably a a Great Crusade-era recruit.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The eagle-head heraldry indicates participation in the Unification Wars. Only early Terran Astartes would have it (those who entered service during the late Unification Wars period). The World Eater doesn't. He's probably a a Great Crusade-era recruit.

That is also my understanding :tu:

Seen it and I wish the models would follow this scale better. Especially the difference between regular human and Astartes. Also makes the Primaris roughly TW size I guess.

On the Astartes' sides, are these rips I see there under his arms? Astartes dont have rips, but a flat bone shell, havent they? 

I think the lore says the ribs fuse together, so you might see the outline of the ribs but from outside the skin you wouldn't see that the gaps in between are also infilled in bone.

Also, I'm not an expert on anatomy but you also have intercostal muscles around there which I believe go over the ribs, so that might be what you'd see.

While the custodes and astartes are representative samples of their type, I strongly suspect the thunder warriors were a lot less uniform in their appearance. Gigantism here, malformation there, everything you'd expect from a hastily-made, short-lived, non-mass-produced warrior caste which we know suffered from serious cellular degradation and bizarre cancers.

For every thunder warrior that looked like that dude, you'd have another that might look closer to an unusually swole version of that mortal and another that might look closer to an ogryn.

Typical. Only the glory-hounding supersoldiers are mentioned, but the extremly fit regular human, who actually had to work for all those muscles and didn't just get them from copious amounts of steroids, is ignored.

The Guardsman's life truly is harsh and thankless. :p

If thats the case why is the one on the far left the one with the most well-wrought tattoos as well as a Red Sash; akin to the red cloth Custodians typically wear?

Thunder Warriors were always bigger than Astartes, but I've never read a size comparison between TW and Custodes. But it doesn't surprise me that Custodes are bigger.

Basically the only detail we've 'always' had about Thunder Warriors was that they wore MK1 armour.

On the Astartes' sides, are these rips I see there under his arms? Astartes dont have rips, but a flat bone shell, havent they? 

Only very skinny people (like me) have visible ribs. Those are serratus anterior muscles.

While the custodes and astartes are representative samples of their type, I strongly suspect the thunder warriors were a lot less uniform in their appearance. Gigantism here, malformation there, everything you'd expect from a hastily-made, short-lived, non-mass-produced warrior caste which we know suffered from serious cellular degradation and bizarre cancers.

Hastily-made but non-mass produced? Um...

I can see custodes possibly not needing sockets for their armour but thunder armour was barely powered, it seems pretty plausible that some at least didn't need anything in the way of neural links and such.

Semi-agreed. Custodes probably have a black carapace but MK1 armour wouldn't need the same kind as latter marks.

Magnus has a black carapace so the other primarchs probably do as well.

Hey guys remember the carapace is sub-dermal.

"If thats the case why is the one on the far left the one with the most well-wrought tattoos as well as a Red Sash; akin to the red cloth Custodians typically wear?"

Thunder Warriors were battle pimps .

Archived