A Custodes, Thunder Warrior, and Astartes walk into a bar...

b1soul

Hey guys remember the carapace is sub-dermal.

"If thats the case why is the one on the far left the one with the most well-wrought tattoos as well as a Red Sash; akin to the red cloth Custodians typically wear?"

Thunder Warriors were battle pimps .

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, but it's fairly obvious to me that the Custode is to the left of the Thunder Warrior.

The artist writes "Primarch, Custodes, Thunder Warrior, Astartes" in that order...so Thunder Warrior is mohawk man

He must have made another mistakes besides not listing the guardsman in the comparison title . It is not official so who cares ?

The artist writes "Primarch, Custodes, Thunder Warrior, Astartes" in that order...so Thunder Warrior is mohawk man

He must have made another mistakes besides not listing the guardsman in the comparison title . It is not official so who cares ?

No need to be a jerk. Everyone knows what "average human" (IE: Guardsman) looks like. They didn't need to put "human" at the end because people can figure that one out. And since the artist wrote "Primarch, Custodes, Thunder Warrior, Astartes" in that order, that means that's what the order is.

Yeah...there you go.

I'm actually not aware that Custodes have no interface sockets on their bodies. Is this actually the case? I don't think it is.

I know Thunder Warriors wear relatively crude power armour without powered legs. So it makes more sense for the artist to draw the Thunder Warrior without sockets.

Yeah...there you go.

I'm actually not aware that Custodes have no interface sockets on their bodies. Is this actually the case? I don't think it is.

I know Thunder Warriors wear relatively crude power armour without powered legs. So it makes more sense for the artist to draw the Thunder Warrior without sockets.

We know nothing about custodes armour despite 2 pamphlet codexes, sign of the times I'm afraid

I think it's very likely they have some physical connection to their armour like Astartes. There's not really a reason why they shouldn't have the same advantages. On the other hand Thunderwarriors are of a much older design, more crude and not intended to be in use on the long run so it makes sense for them to not have such an interface.

We know nothing about custodes armour despite 2 panmphlet codexes, signn of the times I'm afraid

And Forge World's HH black book Inferno. In truth, I read the part about the Custodes' armour just last night, but I was so sleepy I can't remember what it said :blush.:

However, I am quite sure that their armour is powered, while the Sisters of Silence's is not.

While the custodes and astartes are representative samples of their type, I strongly suspect the thunder warriors were a lot less uniform in their appearance. Gigantism here, malformation there, everything you'd expect from a hastily-made, short-lived, non-mass-produced warrior caste which we know suffered from serious cellular degradation and bizarre cancers.

Hastily-made but non-mass produced? Um...

Not mass-produced at the same scale or with the same regularity as the astartes. Mass-produced in terms of pure quantity, yeah, but they were 'built' in cruder conditions by various unwilling geneticists without the standardised patterns that geneseed brought. The standardisation and reliability of the processes that made the astartes, particularly after the gene-forges of Luna could be turned towards the emperor's purpose, are mentioned in Betrayal and elsewhere as one of their strengths.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Custodian_Armour

"Custodian Armour is an advanced form of highly sophisticated, Artificer-wrought Power Armour utilised exclusively by the ancient Legio Custodes and the present-day Adeptus Custodes, the elite guardians of the Emperor of Mankind. Finely-wrought, Custodian Armour was customised exactly to task, and was produced without any regard to the consumption of resources or rarity of components or lore required; to arm and outfit the Custodians to the optimum, nothing was spared. This supremacy was evident from the auramite-alloy-reinforced armour the Custodian Guard wore, each a planet's ransom in worth.

"In the 41st Millennium, the panoply of the Adeptus Custodes represents the pinnacle of the armourer's art. Far more sophisticated than production-model Space Marine Power Armour, Custodian Armour is still fashioned with rare auramite alloy such as that used for the armour the Emperor Himself wore in battle, rather than the standard ceramite used in all other forms of Imperial Power Armour. Each suit is unique to the Custodian who wears it, as it is customised to its user, a suit of master-crafted battle-plate in the Custodes' traditional golden colour, each a work of art in its own right and highly individualised after the fact by its user. Custodian Armour is also fitted with arrays of proximity sensors and Refraction Field generators to further enhance its formidable defenses."

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Custodian_Armour

"Custodian Armour is an advanced form of highly sophisticated, Artificer-wrought Power Armour utilised exclusively by the ancient Legio Custodes and the present-day Adeptus Custodes, the elite guardians of the Emperor of Mankind. Finely-wrought, Custodian Armour was customised exactly to task, and was produced without any regard to the consumption of resources or rarity of components or lore required; to arm and outfit the Custodians to the optimum, nothing was spared. This supremacy was evident from the auramite-alloy-reinforced armour the Custodian Guard wore, each a planet's ransom in worth.

"In the 41st Millennium, the panoply of the Adeptus Custodes represents the pinnacle of the armourer's art. Far more sophisticated than production-model Space Marine Power Armour, Custodian Armour is still fashioned with rare auramite alloy such as that used for the armour the Emperor Himself wore in battle, rather than the standard ceramite used in all other forms of Imperial Power Armour. Each suit is unique to the Custodian who wears it, as it is customised to its user, a suit of master-crafted battle-plate in the Custodes' traditional golden colour, each a work of art in its own right and highly individualised after the fact by its user. Custodian Armour is also fitted with arrays of proximity sensors and Refraction Field generators to further enhance its formidable defenses."

Does not mention anything about interfacing via plug ins and even then, distribution of plugs would not necessarily have to be the same (Maybe custodes interface only via the spine?). Power armour can be used by regular mortals without a plug/black carapace interface (See sororitas and inquisitors), it just looses out on some technical capacities.

The distribution of ports for power armor hasn't even been consistent in depictions of Marines, and there are any number of configurations and possibilities as there are imaginations for Sci-Fi/Fantasy for the interface between human and machine, so trying to pin down whether this unofficial art is accurate is ultimately futile.

I think if their armor required plugs and sockets it would have been mentioned .

Why?

GW may have specifically not mentioned it because they themselves don't know and haven't discussed it, haven't made the decision to state something explicitly, have an internal argument over just this subject, or are operating on the assumption that they don't have to say anything - we should know how it works, etc. On top of that, there is the GW concept of "loose canon" for 40K.

The fact is, all we, the playing public know for sure is that it hasn't explicitly been stated. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" and all that. Since none of us actually work in the lore development for the company, none of us have the ability to officially determine if any of this is actually correct.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Armour

“The enclosing suits of armour worn by Space Marines are made from thick ceramite plates and would be cumbersome but for electrically motivated fibre bundles that replicate the movements of the wearer and supplement his strength. The last gene-seed organ to be implanted in a Space Marine -- the Black Carapace -- rests beneath the skin, itself fitted with neural sensors and transfusion ports. These plug-in points mesh with Space Marine Power Armour, linking the wearer's nervous system to his suit's mind impulse controls, turning the suit into a second skin that moves with all the speed and precision of the Battle-Brother's own body. Without the Black Carapace, Space Marine Power Armour is almost useless, and it is therefore the most distinctive feature of a Space Marine and the true mark of the Adeptus Astartes.”

Yes, thats a space marine and yes Primarchs don't normally have interfaces because they are just that strong(Extra organs etc) but I do not think it is ever mentioned at all about Custodes. You cannot just make up lore by willing your ideas to be right. If you want to verify your hypothesis I would ask GW.

I would think custodes are closer to Space marines than Primarchs. 10,000 Mini Primarchs running around seems like its a little too easy. 10,000 OP refined space marines sounds alot more manageable.

Plus Custodes die all the time, a dying Primaarch is a big thing :D

The picture is just fan art.

Yes, I think that this fact has been established a couple of times now. There was a link even provided back to the origin earlier and it's not a GW source. That was the reason I said in my initial post on this subject:

trying to pin down whether this unofficial art is accurate is ultimately futile.

(bolted for emphasis added after the fact)

As far as whether the Custodian armor uses some kind of ported interface connection, it's unclear - however, in the artwork for the Adeptus Custodes Codex, there are clearly ports depicted on the side of the head, both left and right, in several images in that Codex, as well as other images of helmetless Custodes with wiring of some kind running into their craniums. Whether these are for the armor or some other purpose does not appear to be stated anywhere, but the depictions are there, but again, whether these are only for those specific Custodes or apply to the whole is not stated.

I could easily see those being a direct connection to their armor allowing them the same level of integration as a Marine has with his armor, but that's just my imagining of it, not necessarily an explicitly defined truth.

While not stated, I don't think it is that unfeasible that custodes have a similar way to connect to the armour as space marines. The black carapace allows the marines to move in armour as naturally as if it was a part of them, so I don't see why the custodes shouldn't have access to the same kind of technology. As it is mentioned in one of the above wiki citations, custodes armour is considered a mastercrafted suit of power armour, so I think it would not be unreasonable to assume that it works in a similar way to space marine power armour (even uf other kinds of power armour do not require direct neural connection).

Archived