A Custodes, Thunder Warrior, and Astartes walk into a bar...

b1soul

As far as I'm aware, we don't actually know what enhancements Custodes have, the process is clouded in secrecy in both 40K and the real world. Arguing they do or don't have something just because they aren't explicitly said to have it once again falls under that "Absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence" concept. For all we know, they have an upgraded "Black Carapace" that is grown out of golden wires that thread through their entire nervous system completely internally. The key is that no one knows whether they do or don't interface with their armor through some biomechanilectrical way...

Typical. Only the glory-hounding supersoldiers are mentioned, but the extremly fit regular human, who actually had to work for all those muscles and didn't just get them from copious amounts of steroids, is ignored.

The Guardsman's life truly is harsh and thankless. :tongue.:

Seriously.

Those guys haven't had a carb since 2004.

You keep saying that, but haven't offered ANY evidence to back that up, so saying it more doesn't convince anyone.

You have provided any real evidence either though - just saying ..

I refer you to:

As far as I'm aware, we don't actually know what enhancements Custodes have, the process is clouded in secrecy in both 40K and the real world. Arguing they do or don't have something just because they aren't explicitly said to have it once again falls under that "Absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence" concept. For all we know, they have an upgraded "Black Carapace" that is grown out of golden wires that thread through their entire nervous system completely internally. The key is that no one knows whether they do or don't interface with their armor through some biomechanilectrical way...

+++

Otherwise I will just mention at this stage to keep it civil and on-topic.

You keep saying that, but haven't offered ANY evidence to back that up, so saying it more doesn't convince anyone.

You have provided any real evidence either though - just saying ..

I haven't provided evidence because I'm not making a case, just pointing out that it is reasonable that they could use plugs.

As has already been pointed out, we know the Custodes do use plugs, it's depicted in their Codex. So if the argument is that they don't use plugs, we know that isn't true.

What they use them for is a completely different issue. They have plugs, and clearly are depicted using them in the artwork in the Codex.

But you are, you can't help it. The majority of this topic's contributers have pretty much decided the order of the picture but you keep coming back with no evidence and saying your way is the right way. If you want to believe your hypothesis please go do that but the rest of us know what the artist intention was. There is no evidence that we know of that goes against this and most of us are happy with that.

We have your data, we have other peoples data and I believe that the Custodes is bigger than the Thunder warrior, they helped the first Space Marines cull them so I think they are bigger. Can we move on please with something like... I don't know like where are they actually made :O

I think to a degree you are unintentionally misrepresenting what you refer to as plugs in regards to are they connected to their armor. :) We know their helmets provide some form of psychic defense so this would make the most sense... it's all in the mind right ?

Thunder Warriors wore Mk.I power armor so it stands to reason they had plugs and sockets like Space Marines .

What does a helmet interfearing with psychic powers have to do with interfacing with a suit of power armor. This isn't the Halo Universe with neck interfaces. The 40k Universe already has an established way marines interface with their armor and its the Matrix way. I do not see why we should just throw everything out of the window because someone feels that it would be cool if it was different.

Typical. Only the glory-hounding supersoldiers are mentioned, but the extremly fit regular human, who actually had to work for all those muscles and didn't just get them from copious amounts of steroids, is ignored.

The Guardsman's life truly is harsh and thankless. :tongue.:

If the sockets/plugs are only there to be used by the helmets, there five different art depictions of helmet-less Custodes, two bare-headed power armored models and two bare-headed Terminator armored models that are all depicted in the Codex with wiring going into their sockets in their heads. This would lead one to believe that those sockets are used for something other than connecting up a psychic-dampening function for the helmet alone.

The wiring for the helm-less Terminators is clearly running back into their armor, although I will concede that it really doesn't have anywhere else to go on those models, since their heads are enclosed around the back anyway, even without their helmets. The wiring on the art depictions from the head sockets also appears to be running down into their armor, but that's only because it generally disappears around the back of the head/neck and appears to be running downward, but there are no clear depictions from above or the back that actually does show where the wire bundles are running. To me, the implication is that the wiring is running into the armor for some purpose, but your mileage may vary.

Conversely, there are only two Custodes depicted in the Codex with the head sockets without their helmet and with no wiring connected to them (one is Valdor's art depiction). So the weight of art and model evidence does seem to lie with the Custodes using sockets, at least in their heads, and since there are more depictions of those sockets being used without their helmets attached/being worn, the implication is that the sockets are not simply used for the function of the helms or the psychic dampening in them.

Now, oddly enough, Trajan Valoris's model and art do not bear these head sockets at all - so it's still unclear what they are for, because if they are for the psychic dampening inside the helm, then Valoris's depictions either had them left off by mistake or he doesn't have a way to connect to his helm, leaving him exposed (which is unlikely). If they are used to connect to his armor, then either the art/model depictions imply other connection methods or some Custodes don't use the head sockets in that way (for whatever reason), maybe spinal socketing like one of the original Marine Mark 6 power armor cross-section images showed.

Can we agree to disagree ? I feel like you are making some rather hasty implications based upon a few pictures. :) We know that from their rules Custodes have a feel no pain save versus mortal wounds inflicted by psychic powers .

If you agree that you are dismissing potential evidence in favor of a lack of an explicit statement on armor connectivity, sure, we can agree to disagree.

If you can't agree you are dismissing potential evidence, then probably not, since your argument would then hinge on being able to offer some counter-argument that rectifies the assertion that the plugs are probably for the operation of their helms when there are clearly images of the plugs being used without helms being on the Custodes. Without that, you have no argument made, as it's refuted by GW's images.

After all, these are images selected by GW for the Codex, it's not fan art.

I would like to think that the handcrafted Custodes are differentiated from the Astartes by having a more elegant aesthetic. So no messy, invasive black carapace or body plugs - just a single neural connection grafted in the base of their skull. Completely altered on the genetic level, they have no need for such ugly technological crutches.

+++ MOD VOICE +++

Congratulations, this is the second warning from a Mod to stop being argumentative. There won't be a third.

I know, some of you are thinking how clever you are with picking apart other posters comments. You aren't as clever as you think you are.

The next Mod intervention will be less pleasant.

So, everybody break and go to their separate corners and then come back smiling.

Make the decision to provide constructive comments.

Archived