A Custodes, Thunder Warrior, and Astartes walk into a bar...

b1soul

*oops wrong quote, hidden for ref...

Hidden Content

I was thinking: Using the original image as a guide; do you think the disparity between the Thunder Warrior and the Astartes would be akin to the scale between a Primaris and an Astartes? I wonder where the Primaris would fit in that line-up.

Primaris should be similar height to Thunder Warriors according to that picture, yeah.

*this is what I meant to quote*

I was thinking: Using the original image as a guide; do you think the disparity between the Thunder Warrior and the Astartes would be akin to the scale between a Primaris and an Astartes? I wonder where the Primaris would fit in that line-up.

Based on the minis, a Primaris is nearly a head taller than an Astartes.

If your average Astartes is 7-7.5 foot that'd make primaris between 8 and 8.5 feet tall.

Custodes a foot taller again, and your 'average' Primach 10 foot or more (but I'm given to understand the Primarchs themselves vary a lot).

don't recommend using the minis and a basis as its pretty much accepted that the scale between marines and IG isn't right to begin with. And GW has just shown us 2 chaos astartes as well as the recent DG releases that are all much closer in height to primaris.

Not that their height disparity isn't a valid discussion. Simply that the current astartes line does not represent them well especially since the models have clear internal scale issues as well as being the same height as Imperial guard and other humans.

My recollections are that in the old days I thought the size difference between IG or a basic Necromunda ganger (f'instance as a typical human) and a space marine was about right.

But it seems like everything has grown since then, and as I don't have any IG models for reference maybe they have got bigger disproportionately to marines.

Seems to me though if your standard SM is taller than say about 7.5 foot then all the other types shown on that drawing (Thunder warriors, Custodes & Primachs, plus Primaris) quickly end up totally (and unbelievably?) immense.

I don't know the fluff writers intentions on their size are though - perhaps giantism rather than just 'big' is what they are describing now. 

My recollections are that in the old days I thought the size difference between IG or a basic Necromunda ganger (f'instance as a typical human) and a space marine was about right.

But it seems like everything has grown since then, and as I don't have any IG models for reference maybe they have got bigger disproportionately to marines.

Seems to me though if your standard SM is taller than say about 7.5 foot then all the other types shown on that drawing (Thunder warriors, Custodes & Primachs, plus Primaris) quickly end up totally (and unbelievably?) immense.

I don't know the fluff writers intentions on their size are though - perhaps giantism rather than just 'big' is what they are describing now.

Iirc, there's an official statement by GW that a Marine is 7'6" out of armour, and Power Armour only adds between one to three inches to the Marine's height. There's a 'full-sized' poster on GW's walls at the headquarters that has the 7'6" marine. All video games also keep that, the Space Marine game made by Relic had the Marines' 7'6" (Nemeroth was much taller, but he's also a Sorcerer in Terminator Armour :lol:). Compare scenes where Titus and Mira are next to each other.

Now, the Dark Imperium books, iirc, mention Primaris are about a head taller than a regular marine. A "head taller" is usually six inches or so. so Primaris being around 8-8'6" makes sense.

Now, the Dark Imperium books, iirc, mention Primaris are about a head taller than a regular marine. A "head taller" is usually six inches or so. so Primaris being around 8-8'6" makes sense.

Possibly butchered your quote, phone user, sorry.

Which book mentions this height difference? I have the first DI book in paperback and do not recall it saying that Primaris were bigger at all. The models yes, but in universe where does it say they are bigger? I'm not looking to pick a fight, I'd love a source for this info.

The new Crimson Fist poster had Primaris and Legacy marines fighting side by side, looking badass, and they did not look different sizes at all. I love that poster, hanging in my office at school.

Archived