Servitors

UnkyHamHam

I know this is probably a silly request, as on paper they look just horrible. But does anyone have any thoughts for the uses or merits of Servitor squads? Either for Marines or Admech. I have 3 Squads, and am just curious if anyone has thoughts on them.

For Marines the only thing I've come up with is to help fill a brigade or fill an elite slot for a FW relic unit.  Can also camp them near a thunderfire gunner to help defend him with a couple heavy bolters.  He does have the TECHMARINE keyword, so that's something.

Admech tho, I'm at a loss.  They really should have been troops.  And why the heck did they remove their ability to support repairs??

I've got a unit built and painted with two heavy bolters, and they're trash now. The requirement to have two armed with servo arms kills them, as you pay more for the arms than the bodies. They can't hit anything, even with the Techmarine nearby, and when they do it's only at S6.

They're not even resilient enough to just eat overwatch for another unit.

Sadly, they are indeed poop. They can't shoot well, they can't fight well, they're not durable enough for any defensive purpose...I mean, maybe as backfield filler to choke off deep strike landing zones? Maybe?

I mean a scout squad is 5pts cheaper than the cheapest servitor build (2 arms 2 HBs) and with another wound/body. And for 5pts more than the servitors they can get a heavy bolter. So it still doesn't seem worth it. Because even with 2 heavy bolters, you still have to dedicate a Techmarine to help them shoot.

In Admech it's worse because rangers are even cheaper than scouts.

• 4 weeks later...

The changes in CA 2018 seem to have given them a new lease on life.  Servo-arms are now 0 points, so even with the increase to the bodies you can take an un-upgraded squad of 4 for just 20 points. 

They're obviously not going to hurt anything, but it's a pretty cheap way to hold an objective hidden in the back or simply spread out to hold board space and restrict deep striking or act as a speed bump.  I think I may try fitting a squad or two in and see how they do.  Interested to hear if anyone else has given them a second thought.

40pts for a pair of Heavy Bolters and 4 wounds essentially, taking up space in a Vanguard Detachment orneven a Brigade if you're feeling adventurous.

Techmarines can hide at the back and fix tanks, which are a little cheaper depending on which you go for. Whirlwinds are 90pts for a vengeance launcher for example.

The cheapest Vanguard that can actually contribute tona battle that we can do now is:

Techmarine - Bolter and Chainsword 45pts

3× 4 Servitor units with 2 Heavy Bolters 120pts.

So 165pts for an extra CP and 6 Heavy Bolters hitting on 4+ (because they're in range of the Techmarine) with 12 bodies plus a character who can restore wounds on a vehicle.

Archived