Loooong Break - want to get into 8th...

Portman

RobWrath, on 19 Nov 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

This may be slightly off-topic - but for a kid who is collecting a Space Marine army and seems to like the primaris concept; is the best value way of doing it just do buy the Dark Imperium box set?

At some point I'll want to get the 8th ed rules; by the time I've forked out for that I'm halfway towards the price of Dark Imperium anyway.

I don't want the Death Guard bu as I worked it out you get them free once you've added up the value of the SM's plus the rulebook.

Both the armies on Ebay are about £40-50 so yeah, that and the rules book will be a bit less than buying it new, but when you factor in the 20% reduction from an online distributor then I would buy the Dark Imperium box set. You can always sell the other side if you later want to.

If you want to be very specific with the units you get you can buy parts of the armies on ebay too.

There are also other box sets but none have the full rule book.

Thanks for the responses guys - It's appreciated!

I understand the thoughts on KT, it does seem a totally cool game, but as I already have a couple of copies of earlier 40k and SH I think I have enough to introduce her - not saying I won't get IT at a later date though :-)

So it IS still the main rule plus codex route - ok that's not too bad. She's actually quite interested in both the Orks and the Genestealers I have so I'll start there.

Thanks!

I don't have any advice to offer beyond what the sages here have suggested, but I thought I'd post as I'm in exactly the same boat as you.

My son found some of my old models in a box in the attic and was instantly fascinated. I haven't touched a mini or thought about gaming really since 3e came out and I stopped, but all of a sudden I'm totally enthused again. 

Sitting cutting up plastic and getting paint on my clothes is a nice counterpoint to my other, more energetic, hobbies I suppose. 

My lad is only 7 so the games are a bit beyond him for the time being, but he loves having a few models of his own (Codex Space Marines, obviously) and he's totally fascinated by the 40k universe. 

Have you thought about Space Hulk? I can't speak for later editions but 1st and 2nd are REALLY simple to pick up and should be OK for him to play (to an extent). Maybe even the old Space Crusade game from MB (on ebay) - that was a great intro when I played it back in the 80's. 

He's 8. We play a kill-team/small board/8th edition mix at the moment. He loves making lego vehicles/tanks and I have to defeat them, somehow.

Yep, did that with my 8 year old as well (he's 23 now and on a submarine :smile.: ). We also used "green army men" for IG and plastic M48 tanks for Leman Russes.

Great times indeed.

and Orks are very bad in Index, I can't see why you would do that. I'd grab her the Codex and some starter set instead of wasting money on Index,

Let's keep in mind that this isn't ITC or some other competitive show, he just wants to have fun with his daughter.

So, low cost to have some fun should be a consideration.

I should point out that I have about 150 mini's in all to be painted, SM, Orks and Genestealers - all are 2nd edition except one box of 3rd edition Tactical Space Marines. My Daughter loves the old 2nd edition boxed Orks and the Monopose 'stealers. 

and Orks are very bad in Index, I can't see why you would do that. I'd grab her the Codex and some starter set instead of wasting money on Index,

Let's keep in mind that this isn't ITC or some other competitive show, he just wants to have fun with his daughter.

So, low cost to have some fun should be a consideration.

But that's exactly what I said - kids don't have much fun if they constantly lose. Seeing she isn't some sort of hardcore OoT player, capable of optimizing Index junk into playable levels, giving her book that will boost her army a bit (and also contain all the new, cool models, while not having old, legacy stuff that can't be bought anymore) is more conductive to fun, IMO. Plus, there are better ways to limit spending than that.

It's not saving money if you waste all of it on inferior product that ticks no boxes. Honestly, as of now, I'd really only touch an Index if you can have it secondhand for pennies. Buying new one is straight waste of money, especially seeing that if you really care about fun, I'd imagine colorful book with stories and art would be more appealing to a kid than dry tables with numbers and nothing interesting to give you a break or inspire you.

That's a good point and thankfully a friend has lent me his index's so I can start her off before buying the codex's. I'm going to start her off with the old stuff she has and then add new stuff if she get's into it. 

I really appreciate all of the comments guys. 

I received my copy of the 8th Rulebook today.... mmmmmm.... It's about the same size as my 3rd edition rulebook (that I played the hell out of when it came out) but I was shocked by how much fluff/filler 8th contained - two thirds of the book at least! I was also surprised by the lack of any additional rules for vehicles? So do they move and shoot the same as foot troops? I mean, ALL of the previous books contained fluff but...

That being said, I'm not going to be negative about it - I've not played it yet and I can see that it does look a good solid game. I love the fact it has a psychic phase in it and as a whole I think the book is beautiful to flick through. I CAN understand the masses of lore etc. in it if it's aimed at new starters but I do think they could've added a little bit more to it. The intro's to the various factions is great - but they COULD have included stats for the basic battle squad just to get you started - but ho hum I digress, it'll certainly be interesting to see how the lore has moved on. The Eye has split?!? When did that happen!?

I do think that if it was just me playing, I'd stick to 1st - 3rd editions, but I'll try and move with the times. I do like some of the new (to me anyway) sculpts and I have this idea in my head of painting up some of the new Space Marines to my 2nd edition codexes - I love the idea of mixing old and new....

I'll let you know how I get on - hopefully fun time ahead! 

The rules look a bit baren at first but the spice comes from combinations of unit rules and strategems. The game is a lot more streamlined and you generally avoid rules disagreements to the extent you got them in older editions.

Some things are worse, a lot of things are better.

The Eye has split?!? When did that happen!?

Long story short...before 8th there was a trilogy of campaign books called Gathering Storm.  Abaddon the Despoiler's 13th Black Crusade from a long time ago was, in fact, never over, people in the Imperium simply didn't understand his plan.  It turned out all this time he was knocking out ancient Necron pylons that had been holding the Warp back all this time, many of them just outside the Eye of Terror at Cadia.  So Abaddon crashed a Blackstone Fortress on Cadia, blowing it up, and the Warp spilled everywhere.

Long story short...before 8th there was a trilogy of campaign books called Gathering Storm.  Abaddon the Despoiler's 13th Black Crusade from a long time ago was, in fact, never over, people in the Imperium simply didn't understand his plan.  It turned out all this time he was knocking out ancient Necron pylons that had been holding the Warp back all this time, many of them just outside the Eye of Terror at Cadia.  So Abaddon crashed a Blackstone Fortress on Cadia, blowing it up, and the Warp spilled everywhere.

Cool - thanks for that. 

When you say campaign book, are you talking BL fiction or actual 40K rule books? 

Cool - thanks for that. 

When you say campaign book, are you talking BL fiction or actual 40K rule books?

Like the Battle for Armageddon World campaign. Gathering Storm was a MASSIVE amount of releases with 40k rule books.

Gathering Storm part 1 had, iirc, the assault on Fenris by the Thousand Sons lead by Ahriman and MAGNUS THE RED. Gathering Storm Part 2 had the battle of Cadia, which had the new Saint Celestine model releases, along with two new Imperial characters, Inquisitor Greyfax (Ordo Hereticus) and Archmagos Dominus Belisarius Cawl (aka: The guy who shoved the plot forward hardcore because he's fixing all of the Imperium's tech issues because he's a blatant heretek), and the Ynnari, who are Eldar who brought about the (partial) birth of the Eldar god of death, Ynnead (the models for them is the Triumvirate of Ynnead, which is Yvraine, the Visarch [her bodyguard] and the Yncarne, which is the avatar of Ynnead). Finally, Gathering Storm Part 3 had the big reveal: Cawl had been working for 10,000 years and managed to make an armour that allowed Guilliman to be resurrected. The assault on Ultramar was aided on the Imperial side by the Grey Knights (new character: Grandmaster Voldus) and the Fallen, Cypher.

... yeah, the tail end of 7th basically said "hey, remember how we've been stuck at one minute to midnight for 20 years? Hold onto your butts, 'cause we're ADVANCING THE PLOT" :lol:

The Fall of Fenris was concurrent with Gathering Storm but separate.

The Space Wolves defeat was 2 books that came out months before Gathering Storm.

GS 1 was Fall of Cadia (Saint, Greyfax, Cawl)

GS 2 was Eldar Death God (Ynarri trio)

GS 3 was Primarch and Friends.

It realy depends if you are into the lore, if you want to be uptodate you need to read the Dark Imperium books, they push on from the events at Cadia about 1-200 years. If you just want to play game then happily ignore them :D

Archived