The Cult of Change

Brother Captain Ed

Do y'all use cultists? And, if so, in what capacity?

I haven't yet and I'm wondering if sourcing some Tzeenchian cultists are worth it.

On the one hand, I totally recognize and appreciate the value of dirt cheap troops units.

On the other hand, Tzeench doesn't appear to care much for his cults as they have no extra goodies like those in the Chaos Marine dex (no legion traits, no Tide of Traitors, etc.). At the end of the day, they're guardsmen without orders.

What do my more seasoned brothers think?

Competitive lists often use a batallion of chaos space marines with alpha legion cultists due to how much more utility they have, and add in a ton of thousand sons HQs through a supreme command detachment, or with some tzaangors. It's a bit of a missed opportunity - I'd love it if GW gave us access to more fluffy and cool ways to use them, like filling their brains with sorcerous fire we could remotely detonate, or using them as psychic batteries, as per the fluff. Just something to incentivise our thousand sons actually cultivating their own cultists.

I use them a lot but I'm also not playing in a tournament. If I was I would absolutely make them CSM cultists - they are strictly better. Same with vehicles and such - if you want to play competitively make them allies because they don't get anything for being TS.

Honestly with my Thousand Sons they always fill a role in the Batallion and sit on an objective. Really they just give me the ability to make other squads larger and as a troop choice their cost is what gets them in the list.

Yeah, it's a no-brainer as to why you see cultists from other gods being allied in via another detachment.  Luckily, I don't play in a meta where we are competitive enough to consider taking Alpha Legion cultists 100+ at a time.  So, I'm curious to see if people really use them in pure Thousand Sons lists or not.  (And how they use them.)

Honestly with my Thousand Sons they always fill a role in the Batallion and sit on an objective. Really they just give me the ability to make other squads larger and as a troop choice their cost is what gets them in the list.

So you take them for a cheap second and/or third troop slot and park them?  How many would you say you take for this?  10?  20?  And do you find it's worth it or just an option you might exercise during a tight points squeeze?

I have been tihnking to get them (so far I got none) but as it´s right now hard to buy actually cultist I´m forced to contuie to use tzaangors.

My plan with the cultist where to hold objectives in the back, trying to be cheap. So 10 with autoguns and one heavy stubber.  

Archived