Let's Play Stupid: Land Raider Excelsior

Kallas

Well they couldn't take a Frost Axe as they need one to trade in for Black Death, so that's not possible. But the Primarch's Wrath, replacing a Storm Bolter on an LRE? That's doable, and why is that any weirder than a random Lieutenant, Ancient, or Techmarine wielding it?

Also, having the relics as one specific thing? Well that starts to get weird: Armour of Russ was Russ'? How is it fitting any Space Wolf?

Armour Indomitus: is it a suit of Power Armour? How is a Terminator wearing it over the TDA?

And so on.

Again, I'm not arguing with you and have no quarrel with following the rules that allow you to give Armor of Russ or Helm of Durfast to a character landraider. I really do think it's fine.

But while I'm not arguing, I am saying that I think the game designers probably would. If they took relics away from dreadnoughts, then they probably meant to take it away from vehicles but forgot that there was a character landraider.

Again, I think it's fine. I may even try it out because it seems like a fun thing to throw at an opponent (even if for nothing else than just to see their reaction).

Now now guys, Kallas already made the disclaimer that this is meant to be a "stupid" idea, although rules wise viable. Up to you guys on whether you want to try it or not. For my part, a Land Raider with 4++ is still relatively easy to kill, if not disable with dedicated fire of one round of shooting, so its hardly broken. And as mentioned, many other people arm relics weapons and armour on their "vehicles" regardless if its meant to be for an infantry.

Besides, there are times when I'm tired that after wracking my brain, I can't find any easy or cheesy combos that can put the fear of God into my opponents like Captain Smash or Guilliman. So while stupid and undoubtly non-fluffy, I find myself very amused by this idea of a Land raider wearing Leman Russ armour. 

For bringing a smile to my face, I thank you Kallas.

Technically couldn't a crew member be wearing the armour? Presumable the tank commander.

Im all for it, especially if you model a particularly awesome spacewolf in the Coppola... Or heck even standing astride the landraider ala "strolling thru ultramar" (don't look it up it'll get stuck in your head)

Technically couldn't a crew member be wearing the armour? Presumable the tank commander.

Im all for it, especially if you model a particularly awesome spacewolf in the Coppola... Or heck even standing astride the landraider ala "strolling thru ultramar" (don't look it up it'll get stuck in your head)

I do agree, an awesome commander or someone standing on the Land Raider going "Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword" would be awesome.

Also, I took the liberty of linking it instead :p

To be fair, this idea seems a fun way of putting together an "iron wolves" type armour list, with a blinged out land raider as your centrepiece (as is actually nice to see a tactical representation of a 'wolf lord giving orders from tank' rather than the usual 'assault beatstick' we are otherwise pretty much forced to run).

Even with a 4++ (and if doing this list, i'd still probably put the AoR elsewehere...does it not already have a 5++??), its hardly a broken unit.

Sure you could setup a pretty mean castle around it....but other folk can already do this, and still do it better than us (DA castle with Azrael 4++ bubble???).

Shooting out a Landraider that you are also getting slaythewarlord for will not be that hard for most lists, unless you were hiding it behind other tanks...and then its not gonna be able to shoot back,

Also, youd be setting up an entire list around an index entry which will almost certainly disappear....

...........Everyone seems to have missed the most broken rule of all though......it can heroically intervene 6"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EAT MY TRACKS!

Even with a 4++ (and if doing this list, i'd still probably put the AoR elsewehere...does it not already have a 5++??), its hardly a broken unit.

...........Everyone seems to have missed the most broken rule of all though......it can heroically intervene 6"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EAT MY TRACKS!

Yeah, Armour of Russ is definitely better elsewhere. The LRE doesn't want to be in melee!

Although it doesn't get a 6" HI, I checked: only Infantry, Cavalry, Bikers and Dreadnoughts get Hunters Unleashed, unfortunately ☹️

To be fair, this idea seems a fun way of putting together an "iron wolves" type armour list, with a blinged out land raider as your centrepiece (as is actually nice to see a tactical representation of a 'wolf lord giving orders from tank' rather than the usual 'assault beatstick' we are otherwise pretty much forced to run).

Even with a 4++ (and if doing this list, i'd still probably put the AoR elsewehere...does it not already have a 5++??), its hardly a broken unit.

Sure you could setup a pretty mean castle around it....but other folk can already do this, and still do it better than us (DA castle with Azrael 4++ bubble???).

Shooting out a Landraider that you are also getting slaythewarlord for will not be that hard for most lists, unless you were hiding it behind other tanks...and then its not gonna be able to shoot back,

Also, youd be setting up an entire list around an index entry which will almost certainly disappear....

You don't need to shield it with tanks, it's a character so the enemy won't be able to target it unless its the closest unit.  Just throw something tough in front of it and march it up the field with the occasional sniper rifle plinking on its armor.

It's a character with 16w so it can most certainly be targeted but tbh a landraider is practically impossible to hide behind any other models.

I run mine with armour of Russ but really as long as you don't mind occasionally using a command reroll to ensure a successful psychic test storm caller is about as good against a lot of the most common AT.

I don't think this thing is in any way broken (though I could be a lil bias). To use it efficiently you have to spend the same points as you would on a gallant, it isn't as brutal as a gallant but does provide other buffs so probably comes out even. I just like that we have something like this available and this may be the only viable landraider I can think of.

Even with a 4++ (and if doing this list, i'd still probably put the AoR elsewehere...does it not already have a 5++??), its hardly a broken unit.

Yeah, Armour of Russ is definitely better elsewhere. The LRE doesn't want to be in melee!

Although it doesn't get a 6" HI, I checked: only Infantry, Cavalry, Bikers and Dreadnoughts get Hunters Unleashed, unfortunately ☹️

Aww scuppered!

It's efficacy is unimportant. The question is... How do you PAINT the Land Raider Excelsior that is wearing the Armor of Russ. Or at least the Gunner marine I guess if you wanna take the fun out of it

just do empty power armor tossed on the front of the raider

It's efficacy is unimportant. The question is... How do you PAINT the Land Raider Excelsior that is wearing the Armor of Russ. Or at least the Gunner marine I guess if you wanna take the fun out of it

just do empty power armor tossed on the front of the raider

I was thinking something like that too. A full suit of warplate chained to the front of the LR. could look cool if done right.

Still think I like the raider surfing idea better. I have a pretty awesome image in my head. But no I'm not starting a SW army just to model this madness that will surely be faq'd one day... Lol

I just see some wild astartes with his AXE held high in his right hand. While his left hand holds 2 chains that are attached to either side. Probably near the headlamps.

Alternatively the HQ LR kit had a special colander who stuck out the hatch with a special stick. You aught to model a SW equiv of that guy anyways. So there is your officer in armour of Russ...

For some reason I was actually imagining the landraider to be wearing the power armor. Maybe attach the treads to the legs where the feet should be, have the turrets attached to the ends of the arms where the hands should be, and put the antenna array on the top where the helmet should be... something along those lines.

Kallas,

I need to apologize for going neckbeard on you about the excelsior earlier in the thread

I just learned it has a native 5++ already thanks to the aegis field wargear (I never use the tank and assumed it had no invulnerable)

I agree the armor of russ improving to a 4++ isn't that big a deal all things considered

My bad

To add my two pence into the armour of russ option. 

When your other HQ choice is rhino primaris, who are you giving the 4++ invun to anyway? You might as well just take it on LRE as you probably aren't taking another HQ choice. 

A lot of people seem to have missed that invuns are better on high toughness multi wound models anyway. Because the value is marginal already thus worth more to you. If you're in a situ where you're having to make 3 invuns at d6 damage, it's better to only have to take 1-2 instead of 2-3 of those. When your model is so many point, that extra swing will pay dividends over multiple rolls. If you have it on a rune priest, you're only keeping 4 wounds marginally safer for it to then die horribly anyway because it's a really expensive model for the wounds.

Then there's the argument that this is a late game piece due to it's character rules and need to be protected. So you protect it in the late game too by giving it a 4++. This think will kill lots of stuff without you having to really worry about it dying until at least turn 3. At which point the odds of it dying are significantly lower to the point where it's not a viable target because you've killed all the stuff that will kill it... Except maybe a castellan knight. I hate those things.

And if it's a modelling problem then just cut a leman russ model in half a glue it to the front of your land raider. Sorted :) and sort of makes sense because it's only giving you a +1 on your normal save.

And if it's a modelling problem then just cut a leman russ model in half a glue it to the front of your land raider. Sorted :smile.: and sort of makes sense because it's only giving you a +1 on your normal save.

Personally, I rather use an elaborate commander hanging out of the Cupola of a LRE. But that's just me. DRIVE ME CLOSER! I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD!

Frost Fury replacing the pintle storm bolter seems like the best pick. 2pts for that gun seems amazing.

Alternatively, a Wolf Guard standing out of the cupola and actually aiming the Stormbolter aka Frostfang.

shouldn't really complain, but i still wish it had a higher strength.

Frost Fury replacing the pintle storm bolter seems like the best pick. 2pts for that gun seems amazing.

Alternatively, a Wolf Guard standing out of the cupola and actually aiming the Stormbolter aka Frostfang.

shouldn't really complain, but i still wish it had a higher strength.

Better yet, Wolf Lord dual wielding Frost Fury and the Combi-Plasma haha.

Archived