Coming out of stasis after 15 years

Man of Iron

med_gallery_127575_15005_295107.jpg
I already posted in 'New Members', but I feel I should report directly to my fellow Ancients.
I have played Necrons since 1998, when I read Rick Priestley's "Chapter Approved" articles.
med_gallery_127575_15005_1387570.png
When my gaming group broke up, I was forced to enter stasis in 2003 until such a time as the galaxy was safe for me to emerge.
I've been lurking these boards the past few days, reading many inspiring posts, and trying to decide on which army to begin with again.
The answer was looking right in my face, Necrons! They are one of my favorites, even if I do miss the older pewter models.
I know there are plenty of new rules for me to become accustomed to, so I'll be playing catch-up as I get the new rule book.
I am planning to get started with some model purchases soon. Oh, and paint - I'm looking forward to using my old favorite, Tin Bitz.
What? What's Tin Bitz?! So, no Tin Bitz. Oh well... :huh.: :biggrin.:
"I'm back!"

Just to warn you - Necrons are in a rough spot right now. If you're planning on playing in tournaments or something and you want to have a good chance, Necrons aren't it.

That said, they can be really fun to play. They struggle a lot with anti armor and are too expensive more or less across the board, but in casual games it's pretty great to see 15 dead warriors come back to wipe out a unit. Our army has strange synergies nowadays which is nice because we don't interact with our HQs the same way many do. I'd recommend buying Forgebane and selling/trading the Admech half, then picking up the Start Collecting box if you're looking for a decent core at a discount.

Just to warn you - Necrons are in a rough spot right now. If you're planning on playing in tournaments or something and you want to have a good chance, Necrons aren't it.

That said, they can be really fun to play. They struggle a lot with anti armor and are too expensive more or less across the board, but in casual games it's pretty great to see 15 dead warriors come back to wipe out a unit. Our army has strange synergies nowadays which is nice because we don't interact with our HQs the same way many do. I'd recommend buying Forgebane and selling/trading the Admech half, then picking up the Start Collecting box if you're looking for a decent core at a discount.

I appreciate the advice. I'm not looking for tournament competition, only to play casually. 

Forgebane, eh? I'll look for it. I was thinking of starting an Admech too, so that works. This and a few Start Collecting boxes should keep me busy for awhile. 

Thanks! 

Immortals are your friend for sure. They're better than Warriors 1:1 but also cost less (sort of) since they come in squads of 5 instead of 10 so I find myself always wishing I had more of them.

If you're looking for Forgebane in the UK - Element Games have it on sale for £76.00 at the moment which is a significant discount over the £95.00 RRP.

Thanks, but I'm in the United States. FLGS, GW, and online sites are being looked at. :woot:

Immortals are your friend for sure. They're better than Warriors 1:1 but also cost less (sort of) since they come in squads of 5 instead of 10 so I find myself always wishing I had more of them.

Thanks, that's good to know. 

From having an army that began with only the choices of 1 HQ, 1 EL, 1 TR, and 2 FA this is going to be very interesting with all the available units now. 

From having an army that began with only the choices of 1 HQ, 1 EL, 1 TR, and 2 FA this is going to be very interesting with all the available units now.  

That's exactly how I felt getting back into the hobby several years ago. Necrons are a lot more fun now than they were in the 90's, and they were pretty damn fun in the 90's :lol:

There's a huge army box coming out soon that may be worth waiting for. Big boxes tend to offer decent discounts, catch them on sale at 3rd party retailers and you have the potential for significant savings.

There's a huge army box coming out soon that may be worth waiting for. Big boxes tend to offer decent discounts, catch them on sale at 3rd party retailers and you have the potential for significant savings.

I just found out about the Necron Spearhead box set in another forum. It looks nice, and I'm torn for getting two different armies so a 3rd party retailer would be a great way to make that happen. :thumbsup:  

• 2 weeks later...

welcome back from stasis :happy.:

i remember reading that article and getting some blister packs of warriors and a huge immortal blister and i got that damned flying thing too (which had to be pinned in several places)

then i realised how much the whole army i wanted was going to cost $$...:huh.:  and only made a small force!

Luckily nowadays we're spoiled for choice with figures,flyers and vehicles :wub:

look forwards to seeing your army grow ! 

Cheers, Mithril

*Note - make the lychguard with the sword and board :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hail to the Ys'mam Star Goddess!
Deliveries have arrived, although the cryogenic drones are forbidden to disturb them yet.

I must be patient and bide my time.

New units incoming:

3 Necron Overlords
1 Annihilation Barge
24 Necron Warriors
15 Immortals/Deathmarks
1 Canoptek Spyder
6 Canoptek Scarab Swarms
3 Tomb Blades
1 Ghost Ark

med_gallery_127575_15086_76285.jpg

med_gallery_127575_15086_238970.jpg

How are you planning on painting them?

I was thinking "old school" at first, like their first appearance at 'Sanctuary 101'...

med_gallery_127575_15005_295107.jpg

...which I found out is the current Sautekh Dynasty.

med_gallery_127575_15005_1182809.jpg

My 3rd edition Necron army was painted in silvers with a heavy wash of 'tin bitz' to give them an almost rusted look.

I'm thinking of doing something like that again, or maybe something more 'Egyptian Pharaoh' in style with bold/multiple colors. I'm not sure yet.

I'd like them to contrast with my AdMech rather than be confused with them too much. Not sure if I'm going bold 'Red Mars' with them or "Black Stygies VIII' because of the current campaign beginning with Imperium Nihilus and Vigilus. I guess this is a problem with having two robotic armies. One should be bright and one dark?

Again, I'm not sure as I like the cold steel warrior look but thinking I should take them in another direction.

My main collection is Blood Angels, who have a mix of main armour colours. With whole sections of that army red, black, or gold I went cold metal with electric blue highlights for my Necrons. It's pretty easy on the eyes when units are out together for home matches.

You say your a fan of Tin Bitz (now Warplock Bronze, though I'm sure it's a little different to the old paint), what other colors are you drawn to? Do you plan on keeping the green rods, replacing them with another colour, or painting them over?

I've made a few more (epub) purchases:

sml_gallery_127575_15018_393968.jpg + sml_gallery_127575_15018_285272.jpg

Not that I've made an army list yet, but I'll need the right points to do it. I would've liked to have seen the Necrons in Vigilus against the AdMech (the other army I'm building). A little shared battle history between my armies would be nice. Considering painting my AdMech as being from Stygies VIII - as the Vigilus book accounts for them being there. Since it's a new campaign, I'd have liked building both armies represented in it. I was a big fan of the old Armageddon campaign and really got into playing the battle scenarios there. I hope this new campaign gives me the chance to play my Necrons.

Of course, if Vigilus falls... :censored: .

NTaW, I like the idea of multiple colors with the units. Even if I go for a steely look, shoulder or head colors can denote specific units. I may use multiple metallics: gold for HQ, silver for TR, bronze for EL, etc. I didn't think of changing the green rods, although I'd be more likely to paint over them. Not sure about fiddling with them even after the rest of the models are painted. I'll have to see how easy they are to build. The green plastic is distinctive for Necrons, so unless my paint scheme doesn't match it I'll probably keep them.

I'm torn between the distinctive uniformity, like a wave of metal skeletons, and breaking out of the mold and making them a bit more vibrant. That's why I mentioned Egyptian, to add a little faux culture of these long sleeping metallic undead.

NTaW, I like the idea of multiple colors with the units. Even if I go for a steely look, shoulder or head colors can denote specific units. I may use multiple metallics: gold for HQ, silver for TR, bronze for EL, etc. I didn't think of changing the green rods, although I'd be more likely to paint over them. Not sure about fiddling with them even after the rest of the models are painted. I'll have to see how easy they are to build. The green plastic is distinctive for Necrons, so unless my paint scheme doesn't match it I'll probably keep them.

I'm torn between the distinctive uniformity, like a wave of metal skeletons, and breaking out of the mold and making them a bit more vibrant. That's why I mentioned Egyptian, to add a little faux culture of these long sleeping metallic undead.

if you choose you don't like the rods...i went this way with my necrons -

med_gallery_9146_583_449861.jpg

but if you choose the rods use pva glue on them as super glue frosts em up ...unless you paint over them :laugh.:

i wouldn't go too crazy on multiple colours for different units etc...i tried it years ago and ended up not liking it after a while...

subtle stripes and head colours here and there go a long way to showing allegiance and/or unit type...

shiny metallic necrons still look really good with small tweaks here n there...contrasting bases helps make em pop too :thumbsup:

good luck with your scheme whatever you choose

Cheers, Mithril

With regard to the multiple colours I think you could have a good time there. Even if you found one colour you liked and incorporated shoulder/head markings to differentiate, like Warriors have a bronze head but Immortals are bronze with a <insert colour here> stripe, you could end up with something quite nice. I think simpler is often better for Necrons outside of royal court members and potentially their bodyguards. I painted all my plastic rods so that every weapon in my army has a coherent texture and look, even if I had kept them green I probably would have painted them green for that same visual coherency. 

If you're really gunning for a classic Egyptian look maybe consider doing something akin to the Nihilakh scheme with gold/bronze and thick line patterns. Rules do not have to match colour scheme for me though, so that advice may or may not appeal to you. I play blue Necrons and use whatever Code applies to my requirements (typically a blend of Mephrit, Novokh, and Sautekh).

If you're really gunning for a classic Egyptian look maybe consider doing something akin to the Nihilakh scheme with gold/bronze and thick line patterns. Rules do not have to match colour scheme for me though, so that advice may or may not appeal to you. I play blue Necrons and use whatever Code applies to my requirements (typically a blend of Mephrit, Novokh, and Sautekh).

not that you would know it but my troops in the pic above are actually Nihilakh (bad photography not helping) the gold helms with the turquoise/teal stripe is a little reminiscent of ancient Egypt (as far as necrons go) and is quite striking with minimal effort!! As NtaW says though, paint em how you like and tell your opponent whatever dynasty you would like to play (maybe not in tourneys,but friendly games is easy :sweat: ) the other half of my force is Novokh cause i love the red and white on my scarabs!!

med_gallery_9146_583_691921.jpg

Let us know what you go with,The more Necron overlords out there the better :thumbsup:

Cheers, Mithril

p.s go check NTaW's Force too ,very nice blues...

see here - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335538-ntaws-thokt-dynasty/

Archived