Least played Marines units in your local meta?

GreyCrow

Assault Marines, all Veterans, Terminators, Centurions, Land Speeders, Bikers of all sorts, most forms of battle tanks apparently.

Honestly feels like 3/4 of the Codex goes completely unused, I brought a Vindicator to the table back toward the end of 7th and a guy in his 30s who had played for decades said he'd never seen one the entire time he'd been playing.

Terminators, land raiders, assault marines, drop pods, centurions & vindicators. There are others but these are the ones that are most disappointing as they’re pretty iconic marine units and were (apart from assault marines) pretty good in the previous edition.

@Brother Lame, really surprised by your friend, vindicators were pretty decent in the past, they were one of my go-to units in 7th for just deleting marine and terminator units.

Not many people play Space Marines in my/our area. I think it's easier to list off what does get used:

Primaris:

Most primaris units get fielded, if no other reason than they are new and shiny.  I've only seen Reivers once, but most Hellblasters and Aggressors get used (stormy kind, not flamey kind).  Repulsors do see some play. 

HQs:

All combos of captains (jump, bike or foot), Libbys, and Lts get used. Don't think I've seen any Chaplains outside of BA lists.  No techmarines I can remember.

Troops:

I've seen scouts and tacs, mostly mine. Intercessors when someone is trying to do Primaris only list.

Elites:

Generally only dreads, vanguard and sternguard vets, ancients, company vets. Don't think I've ever seen terminators except in Chaos lists. None of the special niche characters like apothecaries, champions, etc.  No Assault Centurions.

Fast Attack:

Bikes. That's it. No assault marines, no scout bikes (no one seems to have them in my area), no land speeders.  Inceptors but only in full primaris lists. 

Heavy Support:

Devastatators and Hellblasters, a couple scattered Predators, Whirlwinds.  Never seen a Vindicator or a Land Raider except for my own Crusader.   No Centurions. And I do have a Raven Guard Hunter Tank, which I use all the time, and the thing is an MVP.  Consider it's 90 pts, has the same offensive power as a Tac squad with a lascannon, except it's twice as tough, twice as many wounds, and twice as fast, and rerolls it's own hits.  To me it's very worth it's points :-), but I know everyone thinks I'm crazy.

Flyers:

I have seen most of the Space Marine flyers (mostly my own)

Ded Trans:

Seen all the transports except land speeder storms.

Terminators, land raiders, assault marines, drop pods, centurions & vindicators. There are others but these are the ones that are most disappointing as they’re pretty iconic marine units and were (apart from assault marines) pretty good in the previous edition.

Terminators, a Land Raider, Drop Pods and Vindicators were a large portion of my army, and then 8th happened.  Oddly enough, I don't feel compelled to play now...can't imagine why. :teehee:

Seriously, my poor Vindis...why?  :facepalm:

Interestingly I'm starting to see units I've never seen before, like heavy bolter Devastators and scout bikes.

I'm a massive fan of Scout Bikes. I normally run a couple of units of 5 when I have left over points. They are super fast and cheap. Despite their fragility I find their speed great for late game if you can protect them.

With Chapter Approved on the horizon there is no 40k being played. Orcs fell completely flat here despite 30% of the player base plays orcs as a primary or secondary army because of the wait for Chapter Aproved, that and they were upset Orcs came out in November and not October.

Marines in general:cry:  …… for me, Assault Marines, Land Speeders, and Drop Pods were mainstays for many of my orders of battle for a long time, but no more...…. These days I and many of my fellow SM fans are playing Kill Team. It's fun, but...… "le sigh":sad.:

I played my first game yesterday in months. Against Orks. I got absolutely hammered. It may not have been the best list, but aside from razor spamming, I don't know what else I have that would have helped. My marines simply couldn't kill enough Orks before they hit me like a freight train. A train led by two nobs wielding two buzz saws, 30 points each and they dish out death like it's free. Two alone killed two entire backline squads.

The game just isn't fair. It reminded me why I haven't been playing.

I play scout bikes a lot. One of the few well priced, potent units in the codex.

Never see/use:

Termies

Vanguard

Sternguard ( except me but I’ve booted them)

Centurions ( both types)

Speeders

Landraiders

Whirlwind

Drop pod

Scout speeder ( I use it because I painted it in 7 th)

Bikes

Assault Marines

Chaplains

Thunderfire cannons ( I use 2 because I painted them in 7 th but they stink)

Stalker

Predators ( yes seriously I never see them anymore)

Vindicators

Any marine codex flyers ( all died after GW mega nerf)

Attack bikes

Redemptors ( easily worst 40k dread but again I painted mine so I field him sparingly)

Repulsors ( same as above for me)

Tactical marines ( only see kids, new players use them here... seriously)

Gees the codex is a bit of a mess isn’t it? I’ve never actually typed out or really thought how extensive the list is.

Assault Marines, all Veterans, Terminators, Centurions, Land Speeders, Bikers of all sorts, most forms of battle tanks apparently.

Honestly feels like 3/4 of the Codex goes completely unused, I brought a Vindicator to the table back toward the end of 7th and a guy in his 30s who had played for decades said he'd never seen one the entire time he'd been playing.

So, story time.  Vindicators used to be good when I started playing at the drop of 5th edition (good Lord, that was 10 years ago...) Anyway, I'd have to look up the year but early on I got to the top table (and won) at the semifinals of a major tournament that used to be run by GW called "Ard Boyz".  My list had two Land Raiders, two vindicators, 10 TH/SS terminators, Vulkan, some troops and some allied sisters of battle in Rhinos.  The vindicators were great for destroying everything.  Heavy armor, tough elite units, hordes of infantry, you name it. 

Anyway, I had work and couldn't go to the finals at the GW battle bunker, it's a major disappointment to me to this day.  

On the flip side, the guy I beat at the semifinals was a semi-regular opponent in the Las Vegas area tournament scene.  The next time I played him with the same list at a local monthly event, a vindicator shot of mine scattered the full 12 inches from its target onto one of my land raiders carrying terminators and Vulkan into his front line.  Sure enough, I rolled for Armor Penetration, penned, and then rolled the dreaded 6 on the damage table.  Vaporized something like 1/3 of my list.  

So it was hit or miss based on a few things, like, um, the scatter die.  But the vindicator was your easy button to the long departed but dreaded Nob Biker mob... 

Archived