Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Codex: Lost and the Damned?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Plasmablasts

Plasmablasts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 785 posts
With recent releases (especially Kill Team: Rogue Trader and Blackstone Fortress), there are more grounds now to speculate on a non-Astartes, non-Daemons Chaos Codex. I thought it could interesting to start a speculation thread, considering what we’ve seen, about what might feature in such a Codex.

We already have:

Cultists
Tzaangors
Poxwalkers

From KT:RT:

Nightmare hulks (big mutants)
Vox-Shamblers
Glitchlings
A variety of swarm-like creatures

From BSF:

Rogue Psykers
Traitor Guardsmen
Beastmen
Negavolt Cultists

So, a few of my thoughts:

I’m not sure if Tzaangors and Poxwalkers will be included or remain just in their current codices.

Traitor Guard and Cultists seem to overlap. Possible solutions could be:

- they merge: as long as there is an option for a heavy stubber, that’s easy enough;

- they remain separate with similar profiles, but Cultists get larger units and Chaos marks, while TG get access to better kit and Regimental Doctrines;

- Cultists become a Conscripts equivalent.

The Vox-Shamblers and Glitchlings look like variants of Poxwalkers and Nurglings respectively, so I don’t expect to see them as separate units.

Other units we might see:

Characters:
- a leader/Traitor General
- a priest/demagogue
- a Dark Mechanicum magos
- a Beastman Champion?

Some access to Astra Militarum vehicles.

Some weirder Dark Mechanicum warmachines (like stalk tanks for example).

In terms of subfaction keywords, they could use Regimental Doctrines but those wouldn’t seem to fit other elements like the Beastmen or Dark Mechanicum units. The only keywords I could see being more widely applicable would be god-specific marks.

In terms of style of play, it would be logical for it to overlap with Astra Militarum but probably with a greater assault and melee capability.

Any thoughts?
  • GreenScorpion, Exilyth and That_One_Scout_Sergeant like this

Daemon Prince Marbas

Daemon Prince Marbas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
I think, assuming a release is planned, it will be a more aggressive Chaos version of the Astra Militarum just like Chaos Space Marines are more aggressive in playstyle than Imperial Space Marines.
  • GreenScorpion likes this

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,048 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

I could see them slotting Questor Traitoris in, the same way the Adeptus Mechanicum codex featured Questor Mechanicus houses, despite there having been a separate Imperial Knights 'dex releasing in the future. Same goes for Dark Mechanicum content.

Goliath Truck/Rockgrinder from GSC could make an appearance. 

Cultists/Traitor Guardsmen could overlap in the same way Neophyte Hybrids have a kit for representing them as civilian miners and converted Cadians. Failing that, they could be separate units with differing equipment - Guardsmen could take HWT for example - and stratagems. 

I think we'll get God-specific cults rather than Regimental Doctrines, essentially the Covenants from Renegades & Heretics.

My guess is they'll put far more emphasis on Mutants rather than Spiky!Guard to prevent too much overlap with Guard and GSC. 

Edited by Lord Marshal, 18 November 2018 - 02:24 AM.

Daemon Prince Marbas

Daemon Prince Marbas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
I think they will want to overlap with Guard and Genestealer Cults. It's less work for them. They just have to make transfer sheets instead of sculpting different models and can just keep selling their current Astra Militarum and Genestealer Cults vehicles. It's low effort, high profit, and they can focus more time on designing the codex.

Nemerax

Nemerax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 79 posts
  • Faction: Cult of Nine Tailed Moon

I love speculating about this, since I would love to become real.

Two things to note first:

1. So far GW never brought rules in a codex for units that they do not sell right now. So I do not expect Mutants to be in, despite they could easily make an upgrade sprue, the times of GW encouraging conversions and kitbashing are over. Almost everything is snap fit now.

2. Rules wise they have always recycled stuff that was already there in this edition. That said, the codex will have altered already existing rules inside. So expect some kind of a merged CSM and Astra Militarum Codex, a bit oriented at Genestealers hopefully with civilian stuff. I assume we will get some kind of regimental doctrines and the chaos sigils will work similar to those of the CSM. I do not expect them to approach the matter the way FW did.

I am relatively certain it will contain these units:

As HQ choices:

Renegade Commander

Rogue Psyker 

Aspiring CSM Champion

Elites:

Disciples more like the Imperial Veterans

Renegade Scions

Negavolt Cultists

Ogryns

Ratlings (Hopefully)

Standard:

Traitor Guardsmen (10 per squad)

Beastmen (10-20)

Cultists (10-40)

Fast Attack:

All Imperial Units

Heavy Support:

All Imperial Units

Edited by Nemerax, 18 November 2018 - 07:56 AM.

Daemon Prince Marbas

Daemon Prince Marbas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
No reason there can't be daemon engines either due to the Dark Mechanicus.
  • GreenScorpion and Nemerax like this

Nemerax

Nemerax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 79 posts
  • Faction: Cult of Nine Tailed Moon

Not saying cannot or will not at this point. Daemonic Leman Russ Tank would be damn cool. There are endless options.

For my part Dark Mechanicus deserves their own Codex.msn-wink.gif

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,820 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
I don't know, but I do hope so. I'd love proper Chaos Knight rules that go beyond just "you can take double weapons". Like God-specific rules. Of course I'd also love Dark Mechanicum rules and a way to play just them.

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Plasmablasts

Plasmablasts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 785 posts
It’d be great if Dark Mechanicum got its own Codex but I think it more likely that they’d be mixed into a LatD Codex. That, however, could be a stepping stone to a full Codex in time.

Kevlarshark

Kevlarshark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 546 posts

Negavolt cultists do hint at a Dark Mechanicus HQ.

If a full R&H codex (or even a mini dex) is coming I don't see us getting full access to the Astra Militarum vehicle pool.  I think it will probably be restricted in some way to represent the low tech/makeshift nature of the renegades. 

• TheHaplessHeretic and GreenScorpion like this

"I saw your Emperor. A handful of times, back in the age before he betrayed us all...
And he was no god. Perhaps not a man, but never a god."

gallery_17264_1670_28658.jpg gallery_17264_1670_711.gifgallery_17264_1670_3292.gif

Azekai

Azekai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,874 posts
  • Faction: Warp Locusts, Traitor Guard

If a full R&H codex (or even a mini dex) is coming I don't see us getting full access to the Astra Militarum vehicle pool.  I think it will probably be restricted in some way to represent the low tech/makeshift nature of the renegades. 

I don't get the 'lowtech' angle, that is just one flavor of traitor (IE, the Vraksian renegades). The presence of the Dark Mechanicus means that many chaos factions are well supplied. They certainly wouldn't have all the same warmachines of the loyalist guard, but they could easily have access to the designs for old, Heresy-era vehicles or new daemon engines.

• Kevlarshark and GreenScorpion like this

Corruption is our armor.
Infection is our weapon.
Immortality is our reward.

gallery_48988_13169_3872.pngETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_LATD.jgallery_63428_7083_8312.png3DrnTQ5.png

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,048 posts
Apparently Blackstone Fortress' models are getting Kill-Team rules.

Now that could just end up being a <Servants of the Abyss> Kill-Team or an extension of Chaos Space Marines... but then, that would mean the non-CSM options heavily outnumber actual CSM options in their own Kill-Team. Of course why couldn't they just tell you to proxy them as Cultists? Why go to all the effort of making 'new' rules?

Really, uh, makes you think.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 21 November 2018 - 09:11 PM.

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,820 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company

If a full R&H codex (or even a mini dex) is coming I don't see us getting full access to the Astra Militarum vehicle pool. I think it will probably be restricted in some way to represent the low tech/makeshift nature of the renegades.

Dark Mechanicum would probably have access to better / archaeo / xeno technology due to not being held back by the superstitions of Mars. That's one of the reasons they rebelled.

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Daemon Prince Marbas

Daemon Prince Marbas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
Dark Mechanicus has better technology as they actively send out Warbands to excavate and find STCs in realspace. They also delve into Xenos tech and perform research forbidden by the Adeptus Mechanicus and would probably be going too far even for the T'au Empire. It's why the Dark Mechanicum won the Schism of Mars. They are more treacherous and they innovate.

Kevlarshark

Kevlarshark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 546 posts

Dark Mechanicus has better technology as they actively send out Warbands to excavate and find STCs in realspace. They also delve into Xenos tech and perform research forbidden by the Adeptus Mechanicus and would probably be going too far even for the T'au Empire. It's why the Dark Mechanicum won the Schism of Mars. They are more treacherous and they innovate.

Yes, this is very much the argument which should have been applied to the Traitor Legions too (especially Iron Warriors).  However, GW seem to equate Chaos with a Brutal and low tech sort of vibe.  It might not be what we want, but its probably what we will get. Look at the Chaos cultists or the Minis with Blackstone.  All clad in ragged cloaks, all battered equipment; even the higher tech Negavolt cult have a medieval fanatic aesthetic. 

• Juggernut and GreenScorpion like this

"I saw your Emperor. A handful of times, back in the age before he betrayed us all...
And he was no god. Perhaps not a man, but never a god."

gallery_17264_1670_28658.jpg gallery_17264_1670_711.gifgallery_17264_1670_3292.gif

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,995 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

The more I think about it the more I think the genestealer cult list represents chaos guard more accurately than the renegades & heretics list... -_-

• GreenScorpion and Soulhunter1995 like this

"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.pnggallery_61265_13249_83587.png

Daemon Prince Marbas

Daemon Prince Marbas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
It actually does, which is scary. A bunch of diabolical cults and Renegades using guerrilla tactics, horrific Psyker HQs, most cavalry is civilian/manufacturer vehicles, some captured military vehicles, and suicide bombers to win. That sounds perfect for the Lost and the Damned.

Daemon Prince Marbas

Daemon Prince Marbas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
They could do a Lost and the Damned codex like Drukhari in a spin off of the Raiding Party system with the multiple patrol detachments of either Traitor Guard, Dark Mechanicus, Mutants and Beastmen, and Chaos Cults.

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

To be honest both visually (except for the tyranid-like parts) and in terms of troop options the GSC give a heretics sense. The mining vehicles, the repurposed IG/AM vehicles, the minor/major mutations, psychers, civilian based weapons (mining equipment and so on) it all justs adds to a nice LatD army feel.

To be honest it gets my conflicted whether or not my bane of genestealers should follow GSC organization or R&H or even AM.

Regardless a proper LatD codex could help on this indecision.

Daemon Prince Marbas

Daemon Prince Marbas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
Yeah I don't know which codex to use.

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,048 posts

If you're going for the theme of a cult uprising and guerrilla warfare, then GSC.

If you're going for the theme of a standing Chaos-inclined army that's meeting it's enemy on (generally) conventional terms, use R&H/AM.

Depending on how the Brood Brothers rule turns out in the codex, you could mix and match too. Although the cynic in me says it won't survive.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 24 November 2018 - 07:55 PM.

Soulhunter1995

Soulhunter1995

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 124 posts
  • Location:The Darkest Depths of the Eye etc Cheshire, United Kingdom

Unfortunately, I`m waiting for the GSC codex to come out before making my choice unsure.png . Although there is still a small part of me that wants to stick with the R&H rules set happy.png

Blood Angels 3rd Company 8th Edition - Won /Draw /Loss : 2/1/3

Azekai

Azekai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,874 posts
  • Faction: Warp Locusts, Traitor Guard

I have used my renegade guardsmen as GSC or Lost n' Damned depending on my mood. It isn't like you have to marry a codex. 
My old renegade ogryn on 32 mm bases do sterling work as aberrants, for example. Both get access to Leman Russ tanks(!). Both have cult-y psykers in the form of malefic lords and magi.  

Also, GSC can be twisted by the fell powers of Chaos, so... just some food for thought.

Corruption is our armor.
Infection is our weapon.
Immortality is our reward.

gallery_48988_13169_3872.pngETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_LATD.jgallery_63428_7083_8312.png3DrnTQ5.png

Goreshed

Goreshed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 552 posts

I've given quite a bit of thought lately to our unique area of the 40k universe in this regards. And honestly as this point I kinda don't want a specific codex.

Want to play a uprising from the local populace? GSC is the way to go.

Want to play a horde of chaos cultists? Use the regular index from FW.

Want to play a Blood Pact/Sons of Sek/full scale army devoted to Chaos? Use the AM dex.

We have more options by not having a codex because we can use count as. If its one thing I've noticed is that many of us who are drawn to LatD is the fact that we convert so much of it, we don't just play it for the rules but for everything else that it entails. Why not embrace that fluidity?

• Greenz likes this

ETL_2016_Banner_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpgallery_29004_9303_844.png ETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_29004_12090_2245.pngETL_2016_Badge_11_Collegia_Titanicus.jpg

Daemon Prince Marbas

Daemon Prince Marbas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts

I've given quite a bit of thought lately to our unique area of the 40k universe in this regards. And honestly as this point I kinda don't want a specific codex.

Want to play a uprising from the local populace? GSC is the way to go.

Want to play a horde of chaos cultists? Use the regular index from FW.

Want to play a Blood Pact/Sons of Sek/full scale army devoted to Chaos? Use the AM dex.

We have more options by not having a codex because we can use count as. If its one thing I've noticed is that many of us who are drawn to LatD is the fact that we convert so much of it, we don't just play it for the rules but for everything else that it entails. Why not embrace that fluidity?

You make a compelling argument.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users