Codex: Lost and the Damned?

Plasmablasts

With GW attempting to move Chaos Marines further away from the 'Spiky Loyalists' it would be odd if they just put out palette swapped Guard, especially the Commissar (although that could be proxied as 'Traitor Officer' or some such).

Eh, I dunno. They just put out new basic CSM, Terminators and Havocs. I think the whole “Spikey Loyalist” thing is more of a fan concept than one that holds much sway in the Studio. Most of the Chaos lines come directly from traitor loyalists in one way or another.

More, GW has gone full speed ahead on making multiple lines of business from a singular development process. I can’t imagine they’d put out something like a full line of Traitor Guard in BSF without having larger plans for it in 40K.

Consider though that GW is doing everything they can to move loyalists away from OldMarines and into new Primaris only equipment. If Primaris do - well, more like when they do - get Terminator-esq gear it's probably going to look far and away from the existing kits.  In that way, CSM's going forward will have a far more unique aesthetic because loyalist marine kits will have long abandoned it. 

I suppose though they could do something like that for Traitor Guard. Produce a new posterboy regiment for the Guard whilst basing LatD off the Cadian aesthetic. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

With GW attempting to move Chaos Marines further away from the 'Spiky Loyalists' it would be odd if they just put out palette swapped Guard, especially the Commissar (although that could be proxied as 'Traitor Officer' or some such).

Eh, I dunno. They just put out new basic CSM, Terminators and Havocs. I think the whole “Spikey Loyalist” thing is more of a fan concept than one that holds much sway in the Studio. Most of the Chaos lines come directly from traitor loyalists in one way or another.

More, GW has gone full speed ahead on making multiple lines of business from a singular development process. I can’t imagine they’d put out something like a full line of Traitor Guard in BSF without having larger plans for it in 40K.

Consider though that GW is doing everything they can to move loyalists away from OldMarines and into new Primaris only equipment. If Primaris do - well, more like when they do - get Terminator-esq gear it's probably going to look far and away from the existing kits.  In that way, CSM's going forward will have a far more unique aesthetic because loyalist marine kits will have long abandoned it. 

I suppose though they could do something like that for Traitor Guard. Produce a new posterboy regiment for the Guard whilst basing LatD off the Cadian aesthetic.

Armageddon Steel Legion as the new posterboys please :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

the times of GW encouraging conversions and kitbashing are over.

This is overstated. There have been multiple recent warhammer tv videos & warhammer community articles showcasing various conversion & kit bash projects. If new traitor guard rules were introduced, I have no doubt that they'd get access to some IG vehicles, and we'd likely see similar videos and articles with suggestions for making them properly chaotic.

That said, I agree with the general point, that GW isn't going to publish rules for new units without some form of official model representation. So no new mutants without a new kit for them, though I see no reason why we wouldnt expect a release wave of new models to vcvoincide with any hypothetical new traitor guard book.

As for what I'd like to see? Well I *would have* liked to see such a book, as well as proper cult releases for the world eaters & emperor's children, *before" the basic csm update. Doing so would have allowed for several rules (we & ec traits & strats) and units (cultists) to be removed from the csm codex, making room for (and practically requiring) a much more significant update of existing rules and units than what we actually got in csm 8.2.

But that's water under the bridge now. As it is? I'd personally like to see a proper hodge podge of dark mechanicus, traitor guard, and mutants/beastmen, along with some options to encourage playing nice in mixed armies with daemon and csm allies. Maybe an unbound daemonhost unit that can remove itself as a casualty to max out a daemonic summoning roll while confering dome extra boost to the summoned unit, or a stratagem to auto-pass a morale check for a latd unit within 6" of any friendly heretic astartes models.

I did not say conversions, as with keeping the Emperor's Children Sonic Weapons and say they are compatible. But if I look at the CSM Sprue of the past compared to new ones there for me: First more detail, they look awesome and more weapons, but way less possibility to easily alter them. Often Torso and Legs are combined. The old CSM could be easily given to your Imps, now you have a CSM-hand holding every gun. While this is not a big issue. I could put an old Bolter on someone's Backpack, but now it would miss the handle.

We can no longer purchase a chaos upgrade sprue separately or does it give a chaos mutant sprue like back in the days.

I hope I could clarify my point here. You are right I overstated it and thanks for pointing it out.

Since GSC have their own Upgrade Sprue, they could that as well.

I think it is still more likely it will be complete new models, as you can see on the CSM and SM line start to differ more and more. Even GSC got more of their own stuff now. And seeing Hereticus Militarum mentioned in the last Vigilus book got my hopes up.

I 100% agree with the rest of your post.