CA Speculations

Frostglaive

I'm not sure if this was already brought up on here, so I apologize in advance if it has.

According to the rumor mill, CA 2018 will be adjusting AdMech to some degree or another. From my understanding, the biggest changes in CA will be geared more towards the SoB beta-codex and allegedly improving Marines (plus new missions and whatnot). So I'm not expecting too many changes for our cogboys.

But I want to know, what does everyone here think will get changed for our army? What does everyone want changed as well? Let's speculate.

Here is what I'm guessing will happen:

- Stygies VIII dogma gets changed to a constant cover save instead of the -1 to hit. I've heard a lot of rumors about that for the -1 to hit armies out there. I can see it happening. I don't want it to, but I believe it will.

- Kataphrons drop in points again. At the very least Destroyers will. For what they do and how squishy they can be, a points drop would be nice.

- There was a rumor not too long ago saying named characters would drop in cost. I doubt that Cawl will drop in points, but if he does I'd guess at most by 20pts. Because the rumor stated it'd be enough of a drop that many named characters would become auto-includes in armies.

Now here's what I'd like to happen:

- Various stratagems get reworded so they become viable. For instance, there's one (I forget the name) saying a vehicle can move and fire without the Heavy penalty. I'd like for it to say vehicle unit instead of model. That'd allow for Ironstriders and Kastelans to be able to viably use this strat.

- Secutarii get Forge World dogmas, and the Termite drill gets Canticles. It doesn't really make any sense for any of them to not have those rules, at least in my opinion.

- Ruststalkers either drop in points, or their weapons get reworded to actually become viable. And they get their old 7th ed grenades back, to at least give them some kind of ranged capability again.

- Infiltrators neurostatic aura gets beefed back up to how it used to be in 7th. I'll take a points hike for them if it means we get that disgusting bubble of nope again.

- Datasmiths become HQs

- We get a Skitarii HQ

- Dunecrawlers can be taken in squadrons again like in 7th ed. I never understood why we lost that capability.

- New warlord traits. Or at least reworded warlord traits to actually be viable. The only ones I can see that are actually useful are Chorister Technis, Necromechanic, and Static Psalm-Code. The rest just seem way too 'meh' in my opinion.

- The ability to take Imperium transports such as the Rhino or Chimera. AdMech builds them, why not be able to use them? Also, so that they don't need to make a brand new boxed kit for them, they could have an upgrade sprue for the turrets to have a Skitarii operator instead of a Guard or Marine operator. Or even have a different pintle weapon entirely. Just an idea.

What do you guys think? What are your speculations and wishlist items?

I doubt their will be much if anything, except points changes. GW do not change something unless there is a pretty big outcry from the competitive community(Space Marines are crap). Having said that I forsee points changes and obviously the change to Stygies, maybe a rewording or change to the Deepstrike Capabilities each forgeworld has.

Destroyers do need a points reduction so that it is an option to take them rather than a handycap. Also remember if all the minus to hit removeal happens we will only be overheating on 1s again so theres a plus already. I do think that will be reworded to only 1s as it is written in Kill Team.

It is rumored that all named characters will be reduced so I do not see why Cawl wouldn't be reduced either.

It has been GWs position that we are not getting transports so unless the "Guy" who controls Admech has a change of faith then we are not getting them. If Forgeworld has one I doubt GW will snipe those sales from them. Secutarii are in the same boat, it is FW so I do not expect much to change at all, they work at a Glacial pace right now. Maybe after CA, just before 2020.

If any unit is to get any kind of treatment it has to be the Rustalker. They are worst that useless right now, mainly because there is so many models that can do their job better. They need a Deepstrike or a big point drop to put them inline with what they are, a poormans Infiltrator.

Datasmiths are weird, they have kind of lost their job and havent had the memo to leave the building, maybe make them better with changing protocols at the start of the turn and remove the strategem, I would prefer this over being a new HQ. We do not need it to be a HQ, we need MOAR propper thought out HQs(omg Skitarii please).

Skitarii HQ, is again in the heavens and I do not forsee it, but we all want it. Just a simple re-roll range weapons Ranger and a re-roll melee Vanguard please.

I do not forsee Dunecrawlers changing unless they U-turn on the rule of three.

All I see is a points drop and honestly appart from HQs were reasonable right now so. You have seen how long it takes for armies to get sweeping changes unless they are fundamentally broken(Heres hoping for you Grey Knight players.)

I hope the FW knights get a points drop, and for the stratagems to affect them - relic/trait strats for example.

What I most hope for though, is to do something with the broken CP system

Multi soup lists shouldn't get as much as a mono list, there should be a positive benefit for going with a single book.

Things i want that i think may be addressed:

- Kataphrons/Destroyers need points drop

- Ruststalkers point drop (I don't mind the cost of infiltrators but will welcome a points drop)

- Kastelan fist/flamer option to be cheaper

- Reduction in HQ cost all round

Things i want that i dont think we'll see (as i really don't think we'll get anything but point changes)

- Better abilities for ruststalkers

- Destroyers overheat to cause a mortal wound, not remove entire 3 wound model

- Transport option

- Update to torsion cannons to make them viable (d3 shots?).

- Skitarri HQ option

- Flyer option

Stygies VIII dogma gets changed to a constant cover save instead of the -1 to hit. I've heard a lot of rumors about that for the -1 to hit armies out there. I can see it happening. I don't want it to, but I believe it will.

Interesting. When you say you dont want it to happen....how come?

having +1 to armour rolls armour wide would be pretty powerful no? Sure, not as powerful as preventing hits in the first place...but still...ill take my vanguard having 2+ in cover  :D

If a Stygies cover save stacked with Shroudpsalm, I feel like that'd be even more powerful than a -1 to hit. Because at that point, that a full turn (two if you spend CP to use the same canticle) of a 7pt or 8pt model having terminator armour... yeah I doubt that'll happen. It'd be awesome though

I've been told that a recent rumor engine is indeed some mechanicus thing: 2019 will see a new thing for mecha and some little love by GW

The CA will mostly address the points (lower them mostly).

What I'd like: better synergy with IK.

Better role for (actually) useless units. If a unit is suposedly good at CC, then make it really good at it GW!!!

Make a third build option for our dragons (like they were in the past): make them a light transport (for 6 characters for example). Can you imagine the number of dragon that GW will sell if it happens?

Make a third build option for our dragons (like they were in the past): make them a light transport (for 6 characters for example). Can you imagine the number of dragon that GW will sell if it happens?

No way its made for that, all I can say is clown car. Got to model 6 skitarii hanging off it.

I am mostly expecting very minor tweaks, I wouldn't really expect to see any new units, like a Skitarii HQ, or anything substantially changing existing units, like making the Datasmith an HQ. Cawl will probably drop in points some, Canis Rex may as well. The Castellan will probably go up a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if some units like Ruststalkers and Kataphrons went down some. Probably a few strategems or army traits will get changed to be in line with more recent trends, but otherwise I think that's pretty much it.

Unless GW really pulls out some surprises for this CA I expect we'll need to wait for either the next Codex or a Campaign supplement to add anything substantial.

Castellan can't be up. They are slow, even static in daka mode and too expensive in CC mode. I see them go down in points, their daka weapon beeing unchanged and the CC build going much more down in points.

Same for kataphrons.

Infiltrators are a bit expensive but ruststalkers are....hum who play them? If they are untouched, their points will need a serious cut.

If a Stygies cover save stacked with Shroudpsalm, I feel like that'd be even more powerful than a -1 to hit. Because at that point, that a full turn (two if you spend CP to use the same canticle) of a 7pt or 8pt model having terminator armour... yeah I doubt that'll happen. It'd be awesome though

true i hadn't even thought about shroudpsalm.

If both the stygies doctrine and shoudpsalm are simply 'count as being in cover' then thatd be a shame, as you'd literally have a doctrine that is already covered by shroudspalm (or looking at it the other way...you could roll a canticle that is utterly useless for your force).

Having them stack would possibly be too good...although saying that..you could only do it 1 turn without spending CP, and having cawl in to get better choice means you'd lose stygies anyway.

BolterZorro, on 19 Nov 2018 - 7:33 PM, said:

http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Make a third build option for our dragons (like they were in the past): make them a light transport (for 6 characters for example). Can you imagine the number of dragon that GW will sell if it happens?

Are onagers not used as transports in the fluff? Theyd make much more sense...take the main cannon away and fill with dudes instead. Would still look a bit small to be honest...but then..skitarri dont need comfort :smile.:

Damn, now i really want onagers with transport capacity...and throw on some volkite weapons too (wishlist much??? haha)

but yeah, without new models we wont get new units...and i really dont see us getting new models anytime soon (at leaest not with CA)

How much cheaper would fistellans need to be than dakkabots to be viable alternatives?

Similarly with Rustsstalkers vs Fulgurites?

Whilst it's plausible that some things will go down, I could see dakkabots going up a touch if the fistellan build comes down in cost accordingly. (Rather than everything down across the board.)

I might not be following the conversation correctly, but are the Castellan Knight and Kastelan Robots getting conflated somewhere?

I'd be shocked if there isn't a fairly thorough points rise for the Castellan - I think everyone is expecting that (and likely rightly), but I don't know whether I expect any dramatic additional taxes on real Ad Mech units given how they're placed currently.

My prediction is very little Ad Mech adjustment in CA, in favour of whatever is waiting in the wings for them down the line. The waiting game is getting a little tiring, but heart can be taken that at least thought is officially being directed toward them at times. Fingers crossed for 2019...

I will give a wish list for stuff that will probably never happen because I like being bitter and salty about my hobby.

1: ALL the 30k forge world stuff will get points and profiles for us to use and be happy with

2: Chimera transports will be given to us, and we can give them phosphor guns

3: Robots will gain +1 BS and WS and have a rule that allows them to ignore the -1 to hit while moving

4: Datasmiths and / or enginseers will be given a bubble of re-rolling ones to wound while beingin our army just to give them some meaning beyond a tax

5:  dunecrawlers in squadrons with the CCW we had in 7th edition

6: Arc Rifles wounding vehicles on a 2+ with d3 damage instead of a 5+, same thing for heavy arc blasters

7: more guns and options for out tech priests for the love of heaven! We just got a game where we can make techpriests into swiss army knives of guns, and yet we only have two loadouts to chose from

8: skitarii HQ that helps improve our dudes in some neat way, maybe by giving re-rolls to close combat to all admech

9: a strategem to give a magos a chapter master like ability

10: some dogma options of tech priests, like  an electromancer priest or an ordo reductor boi. Some variation of the vast array of cults withing the admech, like the archmagos in 30k.

there, now I can be sad I wont get what I want for this christmas! 

but in all honesty, I would like the more reasonable suggestions for the point decreases and the like.

1: ALL the 30k forge world stuff will get points and profiles for us to use and be happy with

I think we all want this except maybe someone who has a crying sentient wallet. Please allow me to buy your huge artillary robots...

Why does everyone always say Chimera? Is there some specific lore? I do not like the Chimera tbh but I really wish we would get access to the old stuff that Marines no longer have access to, Volkite heavy weapons servitors :P

3: Robots will gain +1 BS and WS and have a rule that allows them to ignore the -1 to hit while moving

If they get +BS they will loose something else or become an OP mess, but I agree the melee ones need some new tricks.

4: Datasmiths and / or enginseers will be given a bubble of re-rolling ones to wound while beingin our army just to give them some meaning beyond a tax

We do need a cheap captain but I would prefer a Skitarii HQ, so we haver a choice of repair or damage potential. Enginseers should be repairing and not fighting.

5:  dunecrawlers in squadrons with the CCW we had in 7th edition

Squadrons are just something that needs to either be across all armies or disapear entirely. Also the rule of three needs either to be for everyone or no one at all.

6: Arc Rifles wounding vehicles on a 2+ with d3 damage instead of a 5+, same thing for heavy arc blasters

Arc needs their reproductive organs back.

7: more guns and options for out tech priests for the love of heaven! We just got a game where we can make techpriests into swiss army knives of guns, and yet we only have two loadouts to chose from

Agreed, but I would accept another model thats focused on another loadout/battlefield role.

8: skitarii HQ that helps improve our dudes in some neat way, maybe by giving re-rolls to close combat to all admech

Vanguard = CC reroll, Ranger = Ranged reroll

9: a strategem to give a magos a chapter master like ability

We need more named characters period, but then again we are one of the newest armies out there so I do not know what to expect.

10: some dogma options of tech priests, like  an electromancer priest or an ordo reductor boi. Some variation of the vast array of cults withing the admech, like the archmagos in 30k.

I do not forsee them making our turn more complicated with more things to keep track of. Add the abilities to the units themselves with the condition of "Priest within 3".

Why does everyone always say Chimera? Is there some specific lore? I do not like the Chimera tbh but I really wish we would get access to the old stuff that Marines no longer have access to, Volkite heavy weapons servitors :tongue.:

There was existing lore but it was both an extremely long time ago and not in the Warhammer 40,000 game. In Epic there used to be three "Tech Guard" Chimera variants. They were called the Chimerro, the Chimerax and the Chimedon. I think one had a weapon similar to a Battlecannon, one had a load of Autocannons and the third was just a regular Chimera with some extra hunter-killer missiles. I think the Taurox has pretty much absorbed these ancient variants. Anyone that actually played Epic back then may be abl to correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived