CA Speculations

Frostglaive

As far as I know -1 armies still get -1. As expected, there are no rules changes in the book besides data sheets unless multiple reviewers completely missed it.

You're right - saw a youtube review with the rules pages directly shown, there are no rules changes besides older ones (Battle Brothers and one other), not even the beta rules about not dropping turn 1, or not dropping turn 1 outside of deployment zone. Those apparently stay beta for now.

Does that affect the twin meltas on the Castellan Knight??

The Castellan has two "twin meltaguns", so no, they stay at 0p. Twin weapons are always their own points value entry, and sometimes differ quite a lot from the single ones in points.

Good news overall for AdMech, but it is hard to judge the whole picture: it seems that *every* army got huge price discounts (except the latest one i.e. Orks, but well, that was expected), so it is hard to gauge to what extent the game will be balanced by CA 2018.

About the cover thing: huge disappointment that -1 hit nonsense was not addressed, as it seems. If that is the case, the game is still deeply unbalanced in my opinion, regardless of points adjustments.

However, the CA Warlord Edition includes tokens for 'soft cover' and 'hard cover': is this a hint that the cover system has been refined, or perhaps I am just missing something?

Edit: ah, never mind the above - it is just useless Cityfight stuff.

The interesting part is that turn 1 deep strike is still only limited in beta rules - my Issobomb still works. :happy.:

Good news overall for AdMech, but it is hard to judge the whole picture: it seems that *every* army got huge price discounts (except the latest one i.e. Orks, but well, that was expected), so it is hard to gauge to what extent the game will be balanced by CA 2018.

For my current 3 armies at least, there's a pattern. The bread-and-butter units like troops stay as they are, but the heavy hitters/support units got cheaper. With AdMech, servitors got more playable, onager and HQ got nice price cuts, but skitarii troops stay as they are. Will work through my lists in the next weeks to see how it affects them...

Am I correct in saying a Techpriest Engineseer is just 30 points??

A Datasmith has dropped 3 points also due to power fist drop?

Big one : An Onager with Neutron Laser and 2 cognis stubbers is only 125? Think I'll add one to my force!!

Cybernetica cohort is as we know. Plus a relic that allows Bots to change protocol of within 6 of character. This makes datasmith redundant and potentially binaric overide depending on when the change takes effect. I may use this if the change is immediate otherwise its a bit meh overall

Servitor Maniple is breachers/destroyers/servitors/dominus.

Warlord trait is pick a unit of servitors within 6 of dominus and breachers/destroyers also within 6. Breachers/destroyers regain d3 wounds or, if no wounded models a slain model returns with 1 wound. A servitor is killed. So cool! And the returned kataphron can then have wounds repaired by dominus remember

The relic is an axe so a bit meh. The stratagems are 1cp to give a unit 5++ before the game so this can be used multiple times. The other is 1cp to give +1 to hit so thats nice to.

I can see myself taking a unit of servitors cheap as and then feeding them to a unit of destroyers who have a 5++. Destroyers probably with plasma for +1 to hit negating overheat

Breaches with 5++ parked on an objective using aqusition at any cost will be hard to shift!

Hell 1cp for the 5++ on any kataphron seems really tasty! The occasional +1 to hit is juicy too. Safe plasma for 1cp.. And stacks with other stratagems too? 2+ to hit plasma doing 3 dmg with ryza. Wow.

Relic axe, meh.

Repair/resurrect w/using servitors for parts, meh.

Honestly, I am having a hard time trying to decide what I want to try first. I have six robots, and the extra relic for the cybernetica cohort makes the entire thing worthwhile if the data change is instantaneous like I have been hearing about. Lucius Deep strike the mistro fisto bots and a datasmith together to charge in and punch the living hell out of stuff while dakka bots sit back and shoot... yea, that is amazing. makes the entire thing worthwhile now in my opinion.

or, make the firebase from hell with servitors and onagers with the servitor maniple and deep strike skitarii down around the board for turn two...

choices choices... now I need more bots AND more servitors (and the book) AND for battlescribe to give me the points in an easily accessible place.

Looking at the price drop to Kataphrons, I'm now very interested to see their formation details in Vigilus.

At risk of looking like an idiot quoting myself, I'm thinking if the stuff for Kataphrons in Vigilus is as good or slightly better than what we've seen for Kastellans, I may have to give Agripinaa a serious look for the Fresh Converts stratagem alone.  Two engineseers at their new cheaper price and nine Kataphrons (who recycle back into combat) at their cheaper price might be something to try out.  The detachment would produce 5 command points, one (I assume) to buy the Kataphron detachment which then leaves enough CP to recycle two of the three-man units of Kataphrons.  Slap the Agripinaa forge world dogma on them and they'd make a pretty tough speed bump. 

Honestly, I am having a hard time trying to decide what I want to try first. I have six robots, and the extra relic for the cybernetica cohort makes the entire thing worthwhile if the data change is instantaneous like I have been hearing about. Lucius Deep strike the mistro fisto bots and a datasmith together to charge in and punch the living hell out of stuff while dakka bots sit back and shoot... yea, that is amazing. makes the entire thing worthwhile now in my opinion.

or, make the firebase from hell with servitors and onagers with the servitor maniple and deep strike skitarii down around the board for turn two...

choices choices... now I need more bots AND more servitors (and the book) AND for battlescribe to give me the points in an easily accessible place.

Seen a clearer image and the change to protocols is NOT immediate. This means that the relic basically replaces the need for a Datasmith only.

I probably wont run the Cybernetica one to be honest as it doesnt do much for shooty robots

Looking at the price drop to Kataphrons, I'm now very interested to see their formation details in Vigilus.

At risk of looking like an idiot quoting myself, I'm thinking if the stuff for Kataphrons in Vigilus is as good or slightly better than what we've seen for Kastellans, I may have to give Agripinaa a serious look for the Fresh Converts stratagem alone. Two engineseers at their new cheaper price and nine Kataphrons (who recycle back into combat) at their cheaper price might be something to try out. The detachment would produce 5 command points, one (I assume) to buy the Kataphron detachment which then leaves enough CP to recycle two of the three-man units of Kataphrons. Slap the Agripinaa forge world dogma on them and they'd make a pretty tough speed bump.

I would go with one single unit of Destroyers personally as its harder to get wiped out and the Warlord Trait and stratagem can only affect one unit per turn anyway.1 unit of 9 and 2 x rangers for the Battallion

At risk of looking like an idiot quoting myself, I'm thinking if the stuff for Kataphrons in Vigilus is as good or slightly better than what we've seen for Kastellans, I may have to give Agripinaa a serious look for the Fresh Converts stratagem alone. Two engineseers at their new cheaper price and nine Kataphrons (who recycle back into combat) at their cheaper price might be something to try out. The detachment would produce 5 command points, one (I assume) to buy the Kataphron detachment which then leaves enough CP to recycle two of the three-man units of Kataphrons. Slap the Agripinaa forge world dogma on them and they'd make a pretty tough speed bump.

I would go with one single unit of Destroyers personally as its harder to get wiped out and the Warlord Trait and stratagem can only affect one unit per turn anyway.1 unit of 9 and 2 x rangers for the Battallion

Well, I'll be the first to admit that my Kataphrons usually sit in the rear with my Dominus and shoot, so the above would be a totally different way for me to use them.  I haven't had a game yet where they were wiped out in melee or shooting in a single turn.  I was thinking that I wouldn't have to use the stratagem more than once per turn anyway due to the amount of effort it takes to clear the whole unit in a single turn, since the way I read the stratagem at least a part of the unit has to still be on the table to use it.  

Am I correct, with cheaper HQ and 20 points for 4 Servitors as Elite a full Brigade with cheapest options is just 864 points?

I make it achievable in 855pts.

So that's

3*1 TPEs

3*4 Servitors

3*5 Rangers

3*5 Vanguard

3*1 Ironstriders with twin Autocannons (cheaper than a dragoon with radium jezzail by 3, I make it)

3*1 Eradicator Onagers

And with the discrepancy, that makes me think you've picked Dragoons over cheap Ironstriders.

That make sense?

I much prefer two functional batallions over using a brigade when designing lists. I don't think the few extra command points are worth it.

These point reductions are great, and much more substantial than I expected - we might be the faction that got the best of CA overall. Still, I can't picture Admech being competitive as a monofaction in the foreseeable future. With a few knight allies, or as a part of the dreaded "soup" on the other hand... I'm really looking forward to getting to try this out.

Archived