Old School RT -> 3rd Edition Marines 30 yr in the Making

Doombob

Hello,

I shared this over on /reddit and thought you all might like it too (if you didn't see it there already).

2018-11-09-40kgame%2B028.JPG

The RT beakies are in the back. Everything must be painted and based before I can play and thus I didn't play my first game until 7th edition! (Note the dreads are WIP and are one of the next projects - haven't played a game w/ them yet). Bought them all mostly in the early 90s and I've tried to use paint styles from their eras. And remember, Camo was depicted on Ultramarines - RT pg 172.

Thought you'd get a kick out of this. I've got about 2/3s of my collection done, by the time I finish I'm sure GW will deprecate all tiny marines for the new ones, ha! Just finished the termies, heard they are about the worst they've ever been, figures. I record my hobby journey at my blog  below.  I document things that work so that I remember years later when I start up again - might help some people out, or inspire those with average skill like me. Take a look at the blog for more up close pictures and such. Enjoy

++end transmission++

I mostly found that the trick to getting eyes right is having the right brush, but I did have a bit of practice doing it with the wrong brush before I switched. A lot of 'detail' brushes are actually really bad because they're tiny, what you want is a decent sized (about 1cm or just under) tip that still tapers to the same point size as a smaller brush (almost always this means kolinsky sable but cheaper detail brushes wear out so quickly that sable brushes are actually more economical in the long run). The trick to avoiding fat and chunky highlights is pretty much the same, your highlights aren't bad but a thin extra layer with a really pale icey blue in a few key areas like the face grills would finish the effect you're going for.

Terminators aren't the worst they've ever been, they're better than they were in 7th. Terminators are terrible right now because marines are so outgunned they can't afford any points inefficiency.

Currently your landspeeders and landraider are in a worse place than your terminators.

Absolutely love the old-school feel of these - I have nearly all the models you do, and both your style and collection take me right back (I'm an RT era relic myself) and hit me with a real punch of nostalgia.  Paint job is great, scheme is great, models are great.

Good work and thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

MR.

I saw this when you posted it in one of my threads... and now I'll be blowed if I can find it! 

Glad you posted it here - that's a cracking looking army and I love the Camo'd marines - great stuff! 

Archived