Who are the 10 most powerful Mortals in the 40k universe?

Ishagu

What counts as powerful? Ability to kill or ability to influence the setting? I'd probably move the Silent King up that list. That or remove him because he might be effectively immortal.

Mephiston is a weird case in that he isn't that tough compared to other librarians but did shrug off the Black Rage which is extremely impressive.

If we are going by what they've accomplished in fluff, Kaldor Draigo should be numbers one through ten because he's a crap character who automatically wins everything.

I'm not sure if Yvraine belongs. She has the potential for sure but I think might be too new to compare to guys like Guilliman and Abbadon who have been shaping the galaxy for 10,000 years.

Yvraine gotten her arse handed to her by Ahriman

Had she failed to deceive Ahriman, he would have killed the Ynnari right then and there

Ahriman is leagues ahead of any Psyker short of Eldrad or Kaldor

(Heck, Ahriman might be capable of killing Guilliman! Grandpa Smurf has a bad history with Sorcerers)

What counts as powerful? Ability to kill or ability to influence the setting? I'd probably move the Silent King up that list. That or remove him because he might be effectively immortal.

Mephiston is a weird case in that he isn't that tough compared to other librarians but did shrug off the Black Rage which is extremely impressive.

If we are going by what they've accomplished in fluff, Kaldor Draigo should be numbers one through ten because he's a crap character who automatically wins everything.

I'm not sure if Yvraine belongs. She has the potential for sure but I think might be too new to compare to guys like Guilliman and Abbadon who have been shaping the galaxy for 10,000 years.

Yvraine gotten her arse handed to her by Ahriman

Had she failed to deceive Ahriman, he would have killed the Ynnari right then and there

Ahriman is leagues ahead of any Psyker short of Eldrad or Kaldor

(Heck, Ahriman might be capable of killing Guilliman! Grandpa Smurf has a bad history with Sorcerers)

Yeah that was to date one of the most impressive and yet simple feats of psychic might a Marine has shown. Simply moving Yvraine&Friends from the webway into the warp and then pulling them back as if it's nothing lol

Doesn't mean Yvraine isn't strong tho. If you compare yourself always just to the strongest you will always think you are weak even if you are the second strongest (not saying she is tho). ;)

I don't see how anybody except psykers can even make the list. Guilliman is powerful certainly, but an alpha-plus psyker cares not for how physically mighty you are when they can just drop a spaceship on your face. Dak'ir alone has demonstrated more power in the climax of Kyme's Salamander trilogy than anything else besides Magnus or the Emperor yet seen in the Black Library. 

I don't see how anybody except psykers can even make the list. Guilliman is powerful certainly, but an alpha-plus psyker cares not for how physically mighty you are when they can just drop a spaceship on your face. Dak'ir alone has demonstrated more power in the climax of Kyme's Salamander trilogy than anything else besides Magnus or the Emperor yet seen in the Black Library.

Counter point is Russ vs Magnus and how Russ was able to deflect spells. Now Russ maybe unique as a anti-psyker, however most Primarch have a little warp in them (giggity) and I think Guilliman would be able to at least defend him a little against a psyker.

Counter point is Russ vs Magnus and how Russ was able to deflect spells. Now Russ maybe unique as a anti-psyker, however most Primarch have a little warp in them (giggity) and I think Guilliman would be able to at least defend him a little against a psyker.

Dak'ir cut a battle barge in half with a spear and was nearly about to blow up Nocturne itself. Likewise Magnus was specifically jobbing in that fight with Russ, and Russ also brought the SoS near him. We've also seen what Magnus (as a Prince) is like when the gloves come off, and pretty much everybody dies unless they have a specific MacGuffin and manage to get a hit in through his shields able to shrug off orbital bombardment. It's akin to comparing Venom or the Thing to Doctor Strange. Sure they're physically or constitutionally stronger, but they only get the chance to throw a punch with a lot of caveats involving gross stupidity on the psyker's part. 

Kor Phaeron defeated Grandpa Smurf with Psyker Powers

Russ only defeated Magnus because his two gigantic pet wolves interfere in the duel

Magnus would have beaten Guilliman if there were no Sisters of Silence

Heck, Skarbrand can beat Guilliman in a duel!

Yes, now that I recall, Russ' giant wolves did seem to help him at a critical juncture...

A blade of pure thought unsheathed from Magnus’ other arm, and he drove it deep into Russ’ chest through his shattered armour.

The blade burst from Russ’ back and the Wolf King loosed a deafening bellow of pain. A chorus of the wolves that were not wolves added their howls to that of their master. The two enormous lupine monsters that accompanied Russ leapt upon Magnus, fastening their jaws upon his legs. Magnus slammed his fist into the black wolf’s head, driving it to the ground with a strangled yelp, its skull surely shattered. With a bellow of anger, Magnus tore the white wolf from his leg with a thought and hurled it away over the heads of the milling army at Russ’ back.

Ahriman felt hands dragging him away as the howling winds and driving rain tore through the gates. He tried to shake them off as someone shouted his name. Hathor Maat and Amon pulled him away from the entrance as the vast mechanisms slowly began hauling the enormous gates closed.

“No!” he shouted, his words snatched away by the screaming winds. “We can’t!”

“We must!” shouted Hathor Maat, pointing towards the crashing waters separating the Space Wolves from the pyramid. Using the stocks of their bolters as paddles, the enemy had jury-rigged concave shards of roof debris to use as makeshift boats, and were surging over the waves towards the gateway. The water had returned to its natural state, frothed patches of liquefied flesh and bone scumming its surface the only reminder of the men who had died there. Hordes of Wulfen plunged into the water, entire packs pushing towards the pyramid with hundreds more right behind them.

Ahriman looked past the approaching monsters to see Magnus and Russ locked in battle high above the causeway, the furious horror of their struggle obscured by ethereal fire and bursts of lightning. A flare of black light erupted and Russ cried out in agony. His blade lashed out blindly and struck a fateful blow against his foe’s most dreaded weapon: his eye.

In an instant, the pyrotechnic cascade of light and fire was extinguished and a stunning silence swept outwards. All motion ceased, and the titans battling on the causeway were no more, each primarch now restored to his customary stature.

Ahriman cried out as he saw Magnus reel back from the Wolf King, one hand clutched to his eye as his shattered arm crackled with regenerative energies. As broken and bloodied as Leman Russ was, he was brawler enough to seize his opportunity. He barrelled into Magnus and gripped him around the waist like a wrestler, roaring as he lifted his brother’s body high above his head.

Lol how can Skarbrand beat Guilliman?

RG has cut so many Greater Daemons down including multiple blood thirsters. He actually beat Skarbrand in gathering storm.

Kor Phaeron did indeed get the better of RG briefly, but at that point he was ignorant of the Warp. KP was also vastly empowered at that particular moment as the Vale between reality and immaterium had been weakened in that instance. Context is everything.

Lol how can Skarbrand beat Guilliman?

RG has cut so many Greater Daemons down including multiple blood thirsters. He actually beat Skarbrand in gathering storm.

Kor Phaeron did indeed get the better of RG briefly, but at that point he was ignorant of the Warp. KP was also vastly empowered at that particular moment as the Vale between reality and immaterium had been weakened in that instance. Context is everything.

Which is the point. Psykers completely outclass everything else in 40k when not swallowing the idiot ball, and realistically speaking Guilliman will straight up die in a fight to a random no-name alpha class psyker who specializes in combat schools because Guilliman can't do anything to a guy who can pick him up and throw him into space with his mind, or pick up a titan and drop it on him repeatedly. Or fly through the air at hypersonic speeds and cut him in half. Etc. The only reason why anything survives contact with psykers in the Black Library while lacking psychic powers of their own is because either they have an arbitrary power or macguffin neutralizing the psyker's powers or the psyker is purposefully written as an idiot - they die. Cato Sicarius and Dante have no defense at all if Mephiston decides to force them to kill themselves with their own boltguns, or outright liquefy them. 

In a fight between a Fighter and a Caster, it's always the Caster's fight to lose.

I'd say that used to be true. With the Emperor's sword he can shield himself from psychic assault and even destroy the essense of Daemons completely.

Psykers are a funny one because their abilities are so inconsistent. Some books make them out to be forces that can ruin entire planets, yet in others they struggle to overcome singular foes. Certain authors are guilty of over doing their capabilities.

I vote for Amberley Vail. She singlehandedly dragged the setting to M42 before it was cool :whistling:

I should probably clarify that I don't mean mortal in the sense that they can't die, but rather if they get removed, it causes a fundamental shift in the setting. If Huron Blackheart dies, it causes some shakeups in the Maelstrom and the Red Corsairs. If Abaddon dies for real, you might as well put the game away, as it's done...

How? :huh.:

No, really, if you think about it, Failbaddon not only controls only small portion of all Chaos forces (for best proof, see aftermath of the Cadia campaign, when he finally managed to breach the gate after 13 failed attempts the black crusade instantly disintegrated as most involved went to do their own thing instead of listening to orders), but but there are others of nearly comparably status. If he kicked the bucket, there are plenty of candidates to take over the Black Legion, Huron, whoever is second in command of BL, clone of Abaddon or Horus seeing they already went there once, or hell, one of the undivided Primarchs all could fill the spot. In the end, the guy is just a random captain from HH, nothing that special if you think about it.

See WH: Fantasy, Empire killed 5 or 6 Everchosen no problem and it was random, unassuming Imperial officer who fell to Chaos who finally became the one to bring the whole thing down, there is really no reason for it not repeating in 40K...

High Marshal Helbrecht (Templars are rumoured to be closer to Legion size than a chapter)

"Rumored" when even most wildly unrealistic, 'count-everything-six-times' fanon count only returned with like 5000 SM total after adding up all crusades hundreds of years apart, and Helbrecht openly admitting he made up the numbers of SM in most of them to get the overall command of campaign a few times? :rolleyes:

Hell of a question. First of all I'll play by the mortal rules set by the op.

Caveat: Guilliman is on a tier of his own, no one else has the power to command the entire Imperium

The more I think about it though there is hardly any individuals that can really influence the setting at the level implied by the post. Pretty much anyone is replaceable so I'll try to find candidates who get close to my absolute 10 in terms of a mortal that influences the galaxy: Solar Macharius.

So in no particular order:

-Eldrad Ulthran: he has been pivotal on the events of the last 10,000 years through the cabal and his farseeing

-The Silent King: complete command of the necrons

-Ghaz: his raw ability to destroy

-Abaddon: self explanatory

I struggle to really find more worthy candidates. Sure, Dante commands nihilus and Grimnar the second biggest fortress in the galaxy along with the most numerous chapter with the Templars but if both were to die not much would change.

Their actions could be easily replicated by their replacements.

Which is the point. Psykers completely outclass everything else in 40k

Pariahs would like a word.
Class A psykers still outclass almost all pariahs on an individual level and there are a lot of cases where psykers get diminished but not rendered powerless. And even a complete psychic null is not gonna save them from a starship that drops on them from orbit. At that point it’s pure kinetic energy.

Which is the point. Psykers completely outclass everything else in 40k

Pariahs would like a word.

As Finkmilkana has said, being unaffected by psychic ability doesn't change physics, and that boulder they dropped on you is going to still be a boulder. So, they'll be protected against fireballs thrown at them, or having their mind read. Other stuff? Not so much.

Archived