Who are the 10 most powerful Mortals in the 40k universe?

Ishagu

Psykers abilities are inconsistent because they have different power levels, some have access to more warp power.  The imperium classifies it with a latin alphabet system, Alpha plus, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, etc.  That's why you get extremely dangerous ones who can destroy entire planets, and others who are very limited. 

Then of course you have sorcery, which is warp manipulation done via various methods that can be done by psykers and learned humans who aren't psykers.

I vote for Amberley Vail. She singlehandedly dragged the setting to M42 before it was cool :whistling:

I should probably clarify that I don't mean mortal in the sense that they can't die, but rather if they get removed, it causes a fundamental shift in the setting. If Huron Blackheart dies, it causes some shakeups in the Maelstrom and the Red Corsairs. If Abaddon dies for real, you might as well put the game away, as it's done...

How? :huh.:

No, really, if you think about it, Failbaddon not only controls only small portion of all Chaos forces (for best proof, see aftermath of the Cadia campaign, when he finally managed to breach the gate after 13 failed attempts the black crusade instantly disintegrated as most involved went to do their own thing instead of listening to orders), but but there are others of nearly comparably status. If he kicked the bucket, there are plenty of candidates to take over the Black Legion, Huron, whoever is second in command of BL, clone of Abaddon or Horus seeing they already went there once, or hell, one of the undivided Primarchs all could fill the spot. In the end, the guy is just a random captain from HH, nothing that special if you think about it.

See WH: Fantasy, Empire killed 5 or 6 Everchosen no problem and it was random, unassuming Imperial officer who fell to Chaos who finally became the one to bring the whole thing down, there is really no reason for it not repeating in 40K...

Just as an aside - this discussion is taking place over here.

Now back to the powerful mortals!

Yeah but they kinda break the lore because a lot of things don't make sense if things like that are possible.

That's why Alpha-plus psykers tend to be apocalyptic threats when they turn up, and are almost laughably rare, even for psykers. The policy on dealing with them tends to be "nuke from orbit", unless they get turned into a warp-rift before that.

I get that, I do. But Magnus doesn't seem to be able to do what some have done in the older novels I've read. No human psyker is more powerful than Magnus, not even close. Heck, Tigurius should be more powerful than any Alpha plus Psyker knocking around.

I get the impression that some older lore wasn't as consistent and perhaps the rules of the universe weren't as established.

It's not just older lore. Even recent stuff is wildly uneven in what psykers can do. It will happen in any literature with magic / superpowers / hyper-technology because there's no metric to judge by.

I think it's more a concept of the ease in which they can do these things. Alpha-plus level psykers have been shown doing impossibly powerful things, but that's during insane rampages where they're literally destroying themselves to do so. Magnus has been shown performing feats admittedly not as impressive, but doing so almost effortlessly.

To put it another way, it's like two athletes, one lifting a heavy weight and damaging themselves doing so, the other lifting one 3/4 as heavy, but without breaking a sweat. Therefore, the things Magnus could achieve in his "alpha-plus insane rampage" would far outclass what we've seen done before.

All those Alpha plus psykers break out in the Eisenhorn series and only a few buildings collapse, and there was like a dozen of them. Destroying planets seems way beyond any Alpha+ psyker we've seen. Then Emperor tosses a planets core into the warp and Malcador shrouds Titan in the warp, Magnus has probably done something equally powerful but I can't think of any off the top of my head. I don't think anyone has ever blown a planet up.

Also, why does Eisenhorn say Ravenor is a low Gamma (or Delta), but then in the Ravenor series that antagonist guy says both he and Molotoch are Alpha plus? Did getting put in that chair really amplify him that much?

All those Alpha plus psykers break out in the Eisenhorn series and only a few buildings collapse, and there was like a dozen of them. Destroying planets seems way beyond any Alpha+ psyker we've seen. Then Emperor tosses a planets core into the warp and Malcador shrouds Titan in the warp, Magnus has probably done something equally powerful but I can't think of any off the top of my head. I don't think anyone has ever blown a planet up.

Also, why does Eisenhorn say Ravenor is a low Gamma (or Delta), but then in the Ravenor series that antagonist guy says both he and Molotoch are Alpha plus? Did getting put in that chair really amplify him that much?

Magnus moved Prospero into the Eye? Surely moving something and having it be whole/alive/with all its bits is harder than ripping it to pieces. And who was the sorcerer that hauled an entire battle barge through the warp and used it as a spear?

Magnus moved Prospero into the Eye? Surely moving something and having it be whole/alive/with all its bits is harder than ripping it to pieces. And who was the sorcerer that hauled an entire battle barge through the warp and used it as a spear?
Prospero was never moved. Sortiarius was pulled out of the Eye but that was the reward of a ritual to Tzeentch, not Magnus doing it himself.

Khayon did get Magnus to kneel but he himself says it wasn't because of his power, as no one has that much power, but due to the circumstances of the situation. So who knows how that will go when we get there.

Archived