Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are Thousand Sons hoping for from Chapter Approved?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,572 posts

I really see their tactics play out differently. Unless your going webway portal my rubric deployment will be straightforward where as SOTs can DS. Also utilizing them in cc where appropriate against specific units sets them apart.

I dont have a diverse meta and play Eldar quite a bit so my sample size research is not great though a unit of SOTs provides a great bully to apsects and other Eldar units with a warptiming Termie Sorcerer. They are situational and there is a need for them to be flexible like a cataphract, though with with DS, WT, even DMC can offer that.

I also play against DA and GK so a MVB to have str5 vs T4 buff I am hoping can do similar work.

That is fair, I often forget their melee ability and with some support they become relatively formidable. I do love fielding them I just hesitate in many of my list builds. 

Heliomanes

Heliomanes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 473 posts

I've played pretty aggressively with my SOT. Using a big 10 man squad to maximize the utility we can get from the buffs we have available, and deploying them right in view of the enemy turn 1. That way they can draw fire from other things, and I have the option of black matter crystalling them into the enemy backfield if I want. Which my opponent has to plan for.

• Prot likes this

Skerr

Skerr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 647 posts
A great tactic Helio, they are really opportunistic if you can manipulate your opponent. I deep strike and often have them in coming T1 into my own deployment zone to shore up defences and /or if my opponent went first and threatens my DZ or needed and wildcard objectives.

I would love to try a 10 man, do you go double src or ever test out the hwf? I assume you go double hellfyre? I know it adds up but at that point might as well. I could see 1 src and 1 hwf with 2 hfm.

What seems to always have me reconsider a 10 man sot or 20 man rubric is knowing i can split them in two for an additional caster.

Edited by Skerr, Today, 12:00 AM.

Paladin777

Paladin777

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 838 posts
  • Faction: Thousand Sons, Blood Angels
I would recommend against 10 SOT’s and 20 rubrics in the same list. If they both get tarpitted in combat after popping the DMC you’re kinda done as you likely won’t have enough points leftover for other stuff. I’ve done it and it was fun, but not effective! One or the other is great!

Edited by Paladin777, Today, 12:58 AM.

Heliomanes

Heliomanes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 473 posts

Good points. Yeah I usually splurge on double hellfyres and gatlings. Again, if you use veterans of the long war or prescience, it will buff all the weapons they have available in one go.

With the micro-smite, and using plenty of character casters, I must admit that I don't find the split up squads too tempting. I much prefer being able to max out the utility I get from the buffs and spells by casting them on a big unit. I usually get the -1 to hit spell on them, since it works in melee as well

• The Blood Raven likes this

Ahzek451

Ahzek451

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 163 posts

I really want to like the heldrakes for the look and the new fluff stating that the sons favor them, but man.... 

With the points discount, I tried using mine again and while I love the reach of the unit, it just does not do enough. And I realize the points drop for the drake was not dramatic enough to do anything....I suppose I wasn't sure what I was expecting.

But! I did try rocking a couple of the vortex beasts. I gotta say, I dig them. You get a couple of them right in the middle of a force and shoot of 2 mortal wounds to every unit in 9"....nice. 

• Prot likes this

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,991 posts

How do you use the Vortex in a post CA world? Are the points that good for what you get? I just couldn't get into them on release.

I haven't pulled out my Heldrake either. It just feels like there's only so much mileage you can get out of a point discount.

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Ahzek451

Ahzek451

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 163 posts

I was ok at 150 with the mutalith, but still not ecstatic. At 125, it was just enough for me to be ok with trying it again. First game with the new CA was against necrons also using the new CA discount. We both benefited from the discounts. He had a shooty list of 3 immortal squads, 6 destroyers, 9 tomb blades, the FW tesseract ark, overlord, cryptek, and triark stalker. I had 20 tzaangors, 10 rubrics with bolters, rhino, 5 rubrics with flamers, prince, ahriman(no disc), defiler, mutalith, 5 SoT, and a sorceror in termi armour. 

The crowning moment for the mutalith was when I warptimed, used diabolic strength, and prescience to have it crash into the main body of immortals where it proceeded to throw a mortal wound on 6 units (granted the living metal rule kinda took that away on a couple of those units), and then stampede into combat and cause havoc. Over the course a few turns, it just kept pulsing the mortal wounds to nearby units and eventually taking out the core of the enemy in melee. (granted, later on it received support from the prince and a handful of tzaangors) One mortal wound could be the difference in stopping a necron unit from coming back hah! Now just imagine having 2 of them. 250 pts. 

Edited by Ahzek451, Today, 03:28 PM.

• Prot and Quixus like this

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,991 posts

I was ok at 150 with the mutalith, but still not ecstatic. At 125, it was just enough for me to be ok with trying it again. First game with the new CA was against necrons also using the new CA discount. We both benefited from the discounts. He had a shooty list of 3 immortal squads, 6 destroyers, 9 tomb blades, the FW tesseract ark, overlord, cryptek, and triark stalker. I had 20 tzaangors, 10 rubrics with bolters, rhino, 5 rubrics with flamers, prince, ahriman(no disc), defiler, mutalith, 5 SoT, and a sorceror in termi armour. 

The crowning moment for the mutalith was when I warptimed, used diabolic strength, and prescience to have it crash into the main body of immortals where it proceeded to throw a mortal wound on 6 units (granted the living metal rule kinda took that away on a couple of those units), and then stampede into combat and cause havoc. Over the course a few turns, it just kept pulsing the mortal wounds to nearby units and eventually taking out the core of the enemy in melee. (granted, later on it received support from the prince and a handful of tzaangors) One mortal wound could be the difference in stopping a necron unit from coming back hah! Now just imagine having 2 of them. 250 pts. 

Interesting. It is tempting to really give it a go it just seems so... fickle, or hit and miss for the points.

• Ahzek451 likes this

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,432 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

I really like the Mutalith on paper and think it might be worth it with the points drop, however what I can see coming is that the opponent sees a new big monster he doesn't know anything about on the table, hears "mortal wounds" and proceeds to nuke it from then on every game asap without ever letting it do its job. Kinda like a Distraction Carnifex lol

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Ahzek451

Ahzek451

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 163 posts

Interesting. It is tempting to really give it a go it just seems so... fickle, or hit and miss for the points.

I'm inclined to agree. I mean, it was one battle. I would like to test drive it a few more times before making a solid judgement(and against other armies). And I have not really seen what it's like when severely wounded (bigger power range but harder to pass on dice) and I wanted to try the strat that lets you activate another power.

I am just trying to get stuff I never really used previously to work under the new point costs. And I missed seeing the forge world points changes so I may change my mind if I find anything that stands out. 

Edited by Ahzek451, Today, 05:38 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Paladin777