Starting A Detachment Of Custodes

Delta.Skies

Due to my madness, I cant help but create new things before finishing others. With that being said, Im already working on a Jump Pack Shield Captain (count as Dawn Eagle Jet Bike) modeling to its load out. Wave 1 of bits came in, but Wave 2 suppose to come at the end of the week.

Any suggestions on building an ally detachment of custodes. I have DW, BA, and AM as backups. Was thinking of a Vanguard Detachment, may do a SC Detachment, but I didnt want to be that guy, but i have the bits to be that guy with the concept im going for. 

Just looking for tips, I have been researching but just wondering what you guys are running with as an ally.

You might want to mount it on the same base that comes with the Vertus Praetors and make sure it is the same height .

I run a vanguard detachment - probably worth waiting until the next CA drops to see of there are any significant point reductions.

You might want to mount it on the same base that comes with the Vertus Praetors and make sure it is the same height .

I run a vanguard detachment - probably worth waiting until the next CA drops to see of there are any significant point reductions.

got the base covered, and i have the stands for them but even then im using stormcast prosecutor legs. Im not sure about the size of the stands, but definitely using the oval bases, gives me room to attempt to create scenery.

got the base covered, and i have the stands for them but even then im using stormcast prosecutor legs. Im not sure about the size of the stands, but definitely using the oval bases, gives me room to attempt to create scenery.

How are you dealing with the different size issue of a bike and jump pack guy?

i dont know what you mean by this, can you clarify?

If you follow my suggestions I think you will be okay... if it is basically just a Space Marine with a jump pack some people are going to claim you are modeling for advantage. I have seen some of your Deathwatch stuff and feel certain this is going to be quite good. :)

If you follow my suggestions I think you will be okay... if it is basically just a Space Marine with a jump pack some people are going to claim you are modeling for advantage. I have seen some of your Deathwatch stuff and feel certain this is going to be quite good. :smile.:

Much appreciation, trying to always set the bar high. But yea I have the base for it with stand. Spent about 70 bucks from bit sellers all together and still have more to go. But I will have enough bits to make 3 shield Captains. Just another spoiler, using prosecutor wings as well.. so I think it will fill out, specially when I have to consider modeling for the toughness as well.

So i made the mistake of thinking that you can take hurricane bolters and salvo missile launcher and the drawing boards include both.

My question is the model itself have hurrican bolters and salvo launchers built in. Cause i cant tell...

And do you think it will be ok to model both on there. And this shield captain will definitely be boltered down but whixh choice do you think has better output?

Eh,cant magnetize this one. I will post a preview cause i can really only work on the torso and arms from the first set i got.

But to mimic the hurricane bolters i used a guardian spear, sentinel blade to display rapid fire 2, stormbolter on an allarus left arm to display another rapid fire 2, then he will have 2 servitor skulls with bolters to display another rapid fire 2. So 6 barrels that can shoot twice.

Because i thought you can have salvo launcher, i grabbed scarab hellyfre missile bits for the second profile and was gonna modify a fragstorm launcher to display the heavy 1 profile attached to a halo servitor skull.

i dont know what you mean by this, can you clarify?

It’s probably me not understanding your idea properly but your description sounds like instead of a guy on a bike you’ll be using a custodian with a jump pack.

Now I’m looking forward to seeing that as it sounds really cool but he will definitely be significantly smaller than the bike. That will affect line of sight quite significantly and I was just wondering how you planned to avoid that.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model though :)

Wave 2 of bits should be coming in today. But this is the progression i made so far.

gallery_105646_15030_1632613.jpeg

gallery_105646_15030_622676.jpeg

gallery_105646_15030_809136.jpeg

Really had to bulk him out to match the toughness. So the shoulders had to be large. Arms are allarus which gave me a difficult time putting pads on them. The arm shoulder to arm is tightly fused so cutting was out. Wanted more of a hanging arm but i couldnt be picky. Custodes bits are expensive. Sentinel blade attach to guard staff part. Seals to match the awkwardness of the blade (this is largely due to the connecting part of the staff) im thinking i should have pinned it but i think it will be fine.

Storcast torso to fill out that lower half. Really had to be cut to fit it in there which might be a problem going about it later on with future models.

gallery_105646_15030_483949.jpeg

gallery_105646_15030_198710.jpeg

Not to fond of my bolt toting servo skull. I have angelus boltguns but the looked to heavy for a servo skull to be toting. So bolt pistol it was and thought it looked funny with the clip in the front so i put it in the back. Im iffy about it. Any suggestions can and will help. But thats its for now :)

Appreciate it, got the other pieces today and as expected ran into some fitting problems got the dark imperium inteceptor back packs and prosecutor wings that are clashing together. Specially with the custodes backpack. May require pinning but im definitely not worried about size now

So with some time today i was able to finish up the dry fit. And i can honestly say im pretty pleased with him.

The concept / inspiration

gallery_105646_15030_59614.jpg

Shield Captain with Jumpack (counts as on Dawn Eagle Jetbike) with Hurricane Bolters and Power Lance

gallery_105646_15030_413692.jpg

gallery_105646_15030_60985.jpg

gallery_105646_15030_265962.jpg

gallery_105646_15030_37328.jpg

This guy proved to be all types of difficult. Mostly cause i was excited and rushed a bit, the pieces didnt go as well as i wanted, nothing was sticking to place, arms were clashing with the wings. Torao clashed with the jumpack, and of course stormcast are still bigger models torso up so theres was that. Arms needed to be pinned to stick. Grenade had to hide a gap in the front. There a huge gap in the back but the knife covers that up. Tac all over the place but overall came out well.

Still some work to do, have to raise him up a bit, theres a gap where the inceptor head is suppose to be that i thought was gonna fill with the cables. Clean up some of the tac and gaps. And of course scenery.

Also have some bits to make 2 more bikes and i have bits that i think im going to use for a librarian outside of custodes. Stay tuned for the other two equiped with salvo launchers hope you like

Decided to do some fitting before i called it quits for the night on the 2nd Shield Captain. This time much easier, more so because they the used vertus praetors torso which worked way better than custodian guard torsos. Ran into a stopping point because im missing arms that would replicate lances.

gallery_105646_15030_186532.jpg

gallery_105646_15030_142657.jpg

Custodes head bits are expensive, and i didnt want to use bare heads, so i used leftover scarab oculut terminator heads and i think they fit the bill. Also used the hellfyre missile launcher to replicate the salvo launcher. Thinking of using the allarus terminator grenades to mimic the heavy 1 profile, but not sure

gallery_105646_15030_44957.jpg

have to fix this part, the backpacks had the hood part on that had to be cut down. Im either thinking of GS'sn it or putting an Imperial Eagle on top. will figure it out.

working on the custodian guard, wanted a different approach. Decided to use stormcast as the base, and had done my research in the sigmarine custodes remix version. Made the mistake of trying to keep it custodes, but stormcast arms, cause well custodes bits are rather expensive. So A SPECIAL NOTE: STORMCAST JUDICATOR ARMS DO NOT MESH WELL WITH ADEPTUS CUSTODES TORSOS WITHOUT SOME WORK BEING DONE. With that being said ... here ya go

gallery_105646_15030_13335.jpg

After some testing and reviews, it was decided to flip the shoulder pads of the stormcast.

Bought the wrong legs of stormcast (trying to be cheap) and bought the stormcast rangers, that has a empty space in the back where the quiver goes, so theres that (covered up by knife till i think of some capes or tabards to place there instead)

gallery_105646_15030_103745.jpg

With Chaos Backpack cause they look cool and i seen conversions of them

gallery_105646_15030_87879.jpg

And With Primaris Backpack because i thought it looked a lil too chaos (using shaved thousand sons helmets)

gallery_105646_15030_48025.jpg

Still alot of work to do , but if you have ANY suggestions i am very much opened to it.

• 3 weeks later...
Shield Captain In Allarus Terminator Armor...

I got a lot of work to do on him, specially the arms. They didnt fit like i would imagine. The back end has been annoying me since i got the damn thing. Hard to put anything else on him even after shaving it down. Everything else went pretty smooth, have to create a decent base, but havent a clue how to really base them. (Still learning the tricks of the trade) hope you like. Any suggestions on filling the arms.

SN: took a bit of putty off the right shoulder in the 2-4 pics after noticing it taking pics

gallery_105646_15030_55546.jpg

gallery_105646_15030_6591.jpg

gallery_105646_15030_33350.jpg

gallery_105646_15030_11787.jpg

Still working on my custodian guard, and trying to get it right, had to order more bits cause i didnt vibe with the 1st version ive created. Will post another test model soon. Hope you like.

Archived