Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sisters Beta Codex - Acts of Faith.

Adepta Sororitas Sisters of Battle SoB Chapter Approved 2018 Sisters Beta Codex Sisters Acts of Faith

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,366 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Dauntless Spirit
Post reserved for summaries relating to Acts of Faith/strategums and Relics.

Edited by Aqui, 10 December 2018 - 03:32 PM.

Once, a Novice Cantus came to me, troubled and uncertain. A slip of a girl, only a few strides down the eternal path leading her to the Golden Throne. She asked me a question. She asked me how we can ever truly understand what faith is. I told her that there is no coin to measure what we feel in our hearts. There are no scales upon which we might weigh the faith of one woman against another. There is only duty and blood. There are only deeds and words. There is only the service to the God-Emperor, and the price that demands from each Sister can only be known by Him. But know that whatever fears must be faced, whatever hardships endured, that price is forever worth its full cost.
- Sister Katherine Elysius,
Daughter of the Emperor (later Imperial Saint Katherine)

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,366 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Dauntless Spirit
Reserved.

Once, a Novice Cantus came to me, troubled and uncertain. A slip of a girl, only a few strides down the eternal path leading her to the Golden Throne. She asked me a question. She asked me how we can ever truly understand what faith is. I told her that there is no coin to measure what we feel in our hearts. There are no scales upon which we might weigh the faith of one woman against another. There is only duty and blood. There are only deeds and words. There is only the service to the God-Emperor, and the price that demands from each Sister can only be known by Him. But know that whatever fears must be faced, whatever hardships endured, that price is forever worth its full cost.
- Sister Katherine Elysius,
Daughter of the Emperor (later Imperial Saint Katherine)

Ficinus

Ficinus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 412 posts
I had an underwhelming experience with Acts of Faith in my first game with the Beta Codex. I tried to use powers 11 times (put of 11 faith points): The Passion twice with 0 successes, Hand of the Emperor twice with 1 success, Divine Guidance three times with 1 success, and Spirit of the Martyr four times with 1 success. I was quite disappointed by my bad luck in using them. One of the successes was on a unit with a simulacrum, though I don't believe it mattered (that unit's shooting also would have all hit even without Divine Guidance). The success with the Spirit of the Martyr also had no effect on the game as the canoness I healed took no damage after that point but also was never again in a threatened position. That said, it might have mattered. The Hand of the Emperor gave one unit of Seraphim slightly better position to shoot and charge, enough that the charge might have failed without it (though the Inferno pistols whiffed, so it didn't help that much).

Overall, they felt more like a disappointment than anything. I still won quite a solid victory without them, so it didn't matter that much in the end. It was also only one game, so we'll see in the future how things go.

Edited by Ficinus, 15 December 2018 - 08:12 PM.

• Beams likes this

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts

I did the whole 3xExorcist 3x Retributors, Brigade of SB BSS with Canoness rerolls and Vessels of the emperor thing in a game and...honestly? Not that great. Even with a 97% chance to hit and nearly 1000pts of models being buffed by Vessels, I was still underwhelmed. Two Knight Crusaders or a Knight Castellan and some Hellverins would have done more damage more reliably for nearly the same points. The only thing this setup has going for it is being highly resistant to high AP shooting like plasma or lascannons. My opponent had aggressors and intercessors and they didn't care very much about my 4++.

• Beams likes this

CaptainMarsh

CaptainMarsh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 650 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Vigilant Heart
Several games in and the Acts of Faith are proving to be underwhelming very consistently. They are more unreliable than before and yet are less impactful, both from how many you can get off in a turn and what they actually do.

Hand of the Emperor: Rarely all that important. While that few extra inches can sometimes be helpful, it is rarely worth a faith point on its own. This is effectively worse than army rules which allow advance and firing without penalty and likewise. If the idea was to stop the Celestine and Seraphim turn one stuff, why not do so without effectively making other units suffer? 6'' movement would be better and still solve the problem, and may make it seem more useful without being OP.

Spirit of the Martyr: This is fine, though just as before it can be a bit underwhelming. Could it do more?

Aegis of the Emperor: Cool new addition and something I can see utility for, though I do wish it was a flat FNP for a phase (choose a phase). Make it worse like a 5+, stacks. I say this only because selfishly my local meta is psyker light and I have used this once.

Divine Guidance: Cripplingly ineffective compared to previously and is a huge weight weighing down the system. Outside of very specific instances a flat +1 to hit doesn't matter. No one quakes when the majority of our weapons roll to hit and flamers don't roll to hit anyway. Ensuring Meltas hit or using Vessels to buff an Exorcist line certainly sounds dramatically powerful. In practice, no. Meh as is. It needs to be a lot stronger.

The Passion: Fine for the units that care and for the Order that wants it. I am content with how it is.

Light of the Emperor:  We have a lot of moral shoring, and MSU style armies see little benefit.

The system is vastly underpowered in comparison to what it used to be and still underpowered compared to what it feels like it wants to be.

• taikishi and ERJAK like this

Pieces of paper for impassable terrain? My main problem with all of this is it really takes away from the game. A giant sheet of white paper on the table sort of breaks the theme of tiny fake armies running around tiny fake locales.

Real men play Adepta Sororitas!

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts

Several games in and the Acts of Faith are proving to be underwhelming very consistently. They are more unreliable than before and yet are less impactful, both from how many you can get off in a turn and what they actually do.

Hand of the Emperor: Rarely all that important. While that few extra inches can sometimes be helpful, it is rarely worth a faith point on its own. This is effectively worse than army rules which allow advance and firing without penalty and likewise. If the idea was to stop the Celestine and Seraphim turn one stuff, why not do so without effectively making other units suffer? 6'' movement would be better and still solve the problem, and may make it seem more useful without being OP.

Spirit of the Martyr: This is fine, though just as before it can be a bit underwhelming. Could it do more?

Aegis of the Emperor: Cool new addition and something I can see utility for, though I do wish it was a flat FNP for a phase (choose a phase). Make it worse like a 5+, stacks. I say this only because selfishly my local meta is psyker light and I have used this once.

Divine Guidance: Cripplingly ineffective compared to previously and is a huge weight weighing down the system. Outside of very specific instances a flat +1 to hit doesn't matter. No one quakes when the majority of our weapons roll to hit and flamers don't roll to hit anyway. Ensuring Meltas hit or using Vessels to buff an Exorcist line certainly sounds dramatically powerful. In practice, no. Meh as is. It needs to be a lot stronger.

The Passion: Fine for the units that care and for the Order that wants it. I am content with how it is.

Light of the Emperor:  We have a lot of moral shoring, and MSU style armies see little benefit.

The system is vastly underpowered in comparison to what it used to be and still underpowered compared to what it feels like it wants to be.

I agree on all points except for the passion. As powerful as it is, the fact that the units that use it A) aren't particularly great in their own rights and B. Are much more difficult to buff with things like Dialogus than Shooting units are, the 5+ roll means that The Passion ends up being just as underwhelming as the rest of the system. Celestine getting an extra fight phase once every 3 Faith points is worse than if she had just been able to get OoBR.

• CaptainMarsh likes this

CaptainMarsh

CaptainMarsh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 650 posts

I watched a single unit of Repentia Rose destroy a Knight and a Custodes Bike Squad using the Passion in one turn just today. It requires too much support to be a reliable strategy, especially since it has such a high failure rate. But I don't really see it any different than I did before, which is that it is possibly very powerful with the right units. I am not a melee man at heart so The Passion has never really been that close to my heart, but it seems to be to be very useful when it works.

When it works, however, being the operative issue with the entire AoF system when coupled with too weak Acts or too infrequent an ability to use them.

Pieces of paper for impassable terrain? My main problem with all of this is it really takes away from the game. A giant sheet of white paper on the table sort of breaks the theme of tiny fake armies running around tiny fake locales.

Beams

Beams

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,554 posts
  • Faction: Order of Our Martyred Lady
The problem with the passion is basically the problem with all of our melee units -- they have amazing killing potential, but are super unreliable. That 5+ even rerolled is something that you can't rely on, and even then, what matters most is just surviving to get to combat, which we have a huge problem with. Just killing stuff we are super good at.

Edited by Beams, 16 December 2018 - 05:08 AM.

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts

The problem with the passion is basically the problem with all of our melee units -- they have amazing killing potential, but are super unreliable. That 5+ even rerolled is something that you can't rely on, and even then, what matters most is just surviving to get to combat, which we have a huge problem with. Just killing stuff we are super good at.

It's never good to design a rule in such a way where the best possible thing you can do as a player is assume it doesn't exist and maybe be pleasantly surprised.

• Beams likes this

Drider

Drider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 565 posts
I think for feedback on AoFs I'm going to say that (paraphrasing) I don't like the randomness of the system because it feels far yo negative to fail a test that can only be attempted once a turn and would much rather have the system be guaranteed and have variable costs.

Mekhitar

Mekhitar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 376 posts
  • Faction: Ashen Wing, Mercurial Legion
Suggestion: a system where each additional faith point spent attempting the Act gives it a +1 to go off (perhaps to a maximum of 2+)? That way the “faithful” orders have a role to play, and managing your faith resources becomes even more important.

It also gives a reason for martyrdom to exist.
  • Beams and theJoeMan like this

Do you hear the people sing?

Beams

Beams

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,554 posts
Right now, I feel like your hard-pressed to use more than your 10 faith points through the game, since realistically your using Move plus 3" and shooting +1 every turn from turn 1 to 5. If you bring a total foot horde with Martyred Lady or the ardent shroud (?), You'll likely end the game with too many faith points lying around.

Drider

Drider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 565 posts
I think that at this point they should just make a straight copy of the command point system with 1 point 2 point and 3 point acts
  • Progenitor and Purifying Tempest like this

Beams

Beams

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,554 posts
I'd be fine if we kept 2 of the 3 restrictions

Faith Points and Rolling, but you can try as many times as you got faith points
Faith Points and Once A Turn -- Your limited, but guaranteed they will go off
Rolling and Once a Turn -- You never have to worry about running out of faith, but you can only try once a turn
  • Servant of Dante, robofish7591 and Skorp like this

Purifying Tempest

Purifying Tempest

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 293 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Azure Flame

I think that at this point they should just make a straight copy of the command point system with 1 point 2 point and 3 point acts

You know... I think this is actually a good response to Acts.  Just make the current 3+ Acts 1 FP, 4+ cost 2 FP, and the lone 5+ costs 3 FP.  Maybe change Ebon Chalice to getting a spent FP back on a 5+ instead of the now useless +1 to Tests.  Remove Tests of Faith entirely.

I know what they were TRYING to invoke in the game: sometimes faith fails or prayers go unanswered.  Got it and tracking.  But for the meager returns, it is just too inconsistent.  If Tests of Faith remain, they need to be lowered a bit to give them some sort of predictability.  I'm thinking something that looks like this:

Hand of the Emperor: 3+ Test or 1 FP - Add +3" to a unit's MV for the phase.  Additionally, this unit may advance and fire any weapon except Heavy Weapons as though they had not advanced previously this turn.  I think it is current +3" for a 3+, so keep it at the same value for Test, but add a little to it as well.  Rets can get some extra speed, or any other squad can get some speed + advance without disrupting their ability to engage.

Spirit of the Martyr: 3+ Test or 1 FP - I actually would not change anything on this AoF.  It just gets too muddled, and already emulates so many other abilities that I think it can just be left alone.  Situationally strong, but always situational.  If you REALLY, REALLY want to spice it up... have any slain model that turn revive on a 5+ or something, within unit cohesion.  Sister Necrons say hi!  Maybe either or, but I am perfectly fine with it as is.

Aegis of the Emperor: 3+ Test or 1 FP - Use AFTER a unit has suffered one or more unsaved wounds.  Give it a 4+ against mortal wounds caused by psychic powers, or 5+ against anything else.  I kinda liked Marsh's suggestion there.  Gives it a purpose outside of "yup, psychic stuff!" and allowing it to be used in response to a particular attack instead of having to premeditate where those smites are coming from.

Divine Guidance: 4+ Test or 2 FP (Possibly even 5+ or 3FP) - Add +1 to rolls made to hit with ranged weapons.  Also add +1 to the number of shots fired for any ranged weapons in the affected unit.  Pistol 1 becomes Pistol 2, Heavy 3 becomes Heavy 4, Assault 1d6 becomes Assault 1d6+1.  BS 2+ isn't really inspiring, though number wise it is helpful.  4+ seems to be too high for that meager gain.  There's already enough 3+ Tests, I would rather see some harder ones, too, that have more of an impact on the game state.

The Passion: 4+ Test or 2 FP - Melee is markedly weaker than shooting in 8th edition.  Things that buff melee should not be judged on the same tier as shooting.  If you Ebon Chalice sleaze this down to 2+, you're likely using STR 3 attacks, and Bloody Rose has to pay points and still have some luck.  Leave the affect untouched, but bring the chance of it triggering up a little.

Light of the Emperor: 3+ Test or 1 FP - Leave it be.  Much like Spirit of the Martyr, it is good when you need it, but situational.  I would almost say drop it to 2+, since it is only ever 1 unit, but that invalidates some use from Ebon Chalice and the Simulacrum, so 3+ feels fair.

Right now, though, most of our active Acts feel just a little lacking or too hard to pull off, the reflexive ones kinda feel okay, though.

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts

Right now, I feel like your hard-pressed to use more than your 10 faith points through the game, since realistically your using Move plus 3" and shooting +1 every turn from turn 1 to 5. If you bring a total foot horde with Martyred Lady or the ardent shroud (?), You'll likely end the game with too many faith points lying around.

I would argue against using +3 move every turn. If it's not getting you actually in range of something you couldn't of been without it it's basically the same as not using it at all. I end up using it 2-3 turns in a game.

Beams

Beams

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,554 posts

I would argue against using +3 move every turn. If it's not getting you actually in range of something you couldn't of been without it it's basically the same as not using it at all. I end up using it 2-3 turns in a game.

Yeah, I wouldn't use it to just use it. I figure it's a good idea to plan on using it when budgeting how much faith you need, like, if you need to rush objectives, or something. I'd honestly say any less than 10 faith points feels anemic, but more than 10 seems excessive, since I can't see myself using more than 2 a turn on average

Drider

Drider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 565 posts

10 still means running 70 models with AoF rule... 70 infantry models... I think i'd almost rather they just shunt Faith points into detachments and get the same number of FP as CP for running a detachment. (It's much easier book keeping.) And do that in conjunction with removing the Faith test in favor of variable cost. 

I think it's just bad design to have some of the stratagem use (Vessels and Faith and fury) gated behind a random dice roll you have practically no control over. It just blows. Example ...You spent several turns engineering a win condition, it's your only chance to win, it all comes down to one Faith Test. if you pass, you cripple your opponent and the game is yours. if you fail you've left yourself horribly exposed and in a position you will never be able to recover from. ...you roll the dice, it fails, you reroll it, it fails again. Ultimate feel badsies.

Edited by Drider, 18 December 2018 - 12:37 AM.

• Beams and theJoeMan like this

Ficinus

Ficinus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 412 posts
I feel like the point of the new faith system, Drider, is that you should never do that except as a desperate gambit. You should never have your overall strategy rely on an Act of Faith: to do so is suicidal.
  • Beams likes this

Drider

Drider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 565 posts
I don't. it's fine when it is in terms of out of actions, shooting, combat etc. Not when it comes to grand strategy. I much prefer things to be quantifiable reliable. It's like if a dice role dictated your moves In chess. I move my knight to trade for your queen, but I don't roll well enough and then you take my knight. so now I've lost a knight and and am in a worse position through no fault in strategy.

Edited by Drider, 18 December 2018 - 01:22 AM.

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts

I feel like the point of the new faith system, Drider, is that you should never do that except as a desperate gambit. You should never have your overall strategy rely on an Act of Faith: to do so is suicidal.

The problem with this is that when your overall strategy can't rely on Acts of Faith, your overall strategy has to built as if acts of Faith don't exist. You have to build your gameplan as if every act of faith will fail and then be pleasantly surprised if they don't. Because if you build your strategy around them succeeding and they don't, you put yourself into a serious hole.

It's very fluffy that reality suddenly warping as a result of Sister's incredible faith is random and impossible to account for, it's pretty lackluster army design.
  • CaptainMarsh, taikishi, Beams and 1 other like this

taikishi

taikishi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts

And it's why I'm upset with people who defend "fluff before rules" as good design and/or how their head canon thinks it should work. For the most part, fluff shouldn't affect rules and rules should never affect fluff. It's one of my problems with GW as a whole -- they tend to design around Rule of Cool and/or "well, this is super fluffy" and it feels like they don't understand how to balance a game first and then add in some fluffy elements in the armies themselves.

For the record, I'm not opposed to someone playing their army in a super fluffy way, but when they tell me I'm doing it wrong because maybe it's not how I want to play or that X rule that is "fine" (in this case, Acts of Faith) is because it's fluffy...

*shrug*

• ERJAK likes this

Purifying Tempest

Purifying Tempest

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 293 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Azure Flame

I had a long post about it, but you know what, I think I'll reserve it for GW.  It seems like everyone is relatively convinced the codex is a dumpster fire, and we're all running around with fingers in our ears screaming "lalala" because it wasn't what we expected.

I've made my points.  I think the AoF system is fine, inventive, and flavorful... but lacking in power.  I would love to see them keep something like the current system, just tweaked a little to add a bit more pop or ease the tests.

So many people, not exclusively here, are wanting the entire system rolled back and made into the awfully unbalanced "free extra actions".  Substance over style.

And for the record, I'm not opposed to someone playing their army in a super competitive way, but when they tell me I'm doing it wrong because maybe it's not how I want to play or that X rule that is "fine" (in this case, old Acts of Faith) because it is stronger...

Pendulum swings both ways.

GW cannot possibly "balance" it all to the point that everyone has the same chance to win without taking EVERY option and unique facet away from every army.  They can get close, but the window of scrutiny for "imbalance" shrinks as the parity in the field grows.  In a "mostly balanced" world, a single point could be the difference between balanced and broken, and it would be found and exploited.  That's why they would rather deliver a product that delivers on feels and then work on competitive.  Feels is how they keep selling models, and sell new models.  Take the feels away and there's no use in diversifying forces, and model sales go buh bye, along with the game.  Why would I ever buy Necros if it is just skeleton-shaped Tau?

• Servant of Dante likes this

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts

I had a long post about it, but you know what, I think I'll reserve it for GW.  It seems like everyone is relatively convinced the codex is a dumpster fire, and we're all running around with fingers in our ears screaming "lalala" because it wasn't what we expected.

I've made my points.  I think the AoF system is fine, inventive, and flavorful... but lacking in power.  I would love to see them keep something like the current system, just tweaked a little to add a bit more pop or ease the tests.

So many people, not exclusively here, are wanting the entire system rolled back and made into the awfully unbalanced "free extra actions".  Substance over style.

And for the record, I'm not opposed to someone playing their army in a super competitive way, but when they tell me I'm doing it wrong because maybe it's not how I want to play or that X rule that is "fine" (in this case, old Acts of Faith) because it is stronger...

Pendulum swings both ways.

GW cannot possibly "balance" it all to the point that everyone has the same chance to win without taking EVERY option and unique facet away from every army.  They can get close, but the window of scrutiny for "imbalance" shrinks as the parity in the field grows.  In a "mostly balanced" world, a single point could be the difference between balanced and broken, and it would be found and exploited.  That's why they would rather deliver a product that delivers on feels and then work on competitive.  Feels is how they keep selling models, and sell new models.  Take the feels away and there's no use in diversifying forces, and model sales go buh bye, along with the game.  Why would I ever buy Necros if it is just skeleton-shaped Tau?

First of all, don't take anything anyone says on dakka seriously. I personally use Dakka to air out my more emotional, negative reactions there and try not to bring it here, to my GW feedback or to meatspace(which I do better some days than others, tbf). It's a forum where hyperbole and exaggeration are taken to extremes, not a place for rational discussion. Treat it as such and it becomes a useful tool for compartmentalizing the worst aspects of gamer...ness. I'm sorry if stuff that gets said there has been getting to you, but it's all just junk. Dakka makes monsters of us all, lol.

It's not that the book is a dumpster fire, it's that it's not particularly better or even more flavorful than the index for a lot of people. On the power side, losing our speed in favor of clumped up center of the board, overlapping aura infantry blobs is technically only a side -grade or very slight downgrade, but is a kick in the nards for many people because it creates a subjectively unpleasant play experience. If you and your opponents haven't run into that issue, that's fine. Like I said, it's subjective. Several people here and even more on dakka have found the slower pace and lower offensive punch to be dull or frustrating. I personally hate Horde style lists, and would appreciate some reasonable alternative based around transports or fast moving seraphim units. There's not really any support for that playstyle with the current rules, unfortunately. You could do it, and probably find some degree of success but the book doesn't really give you any reason to. This is something that's easily fixed, so I included it in my feedback to GW and hopefully we'll see some movement towards more varied playstyles in the future.

On the flavor side, it's not unreasonable for the reduced impact of Acts of Faith to feel like a drain on their 'fluffiness'. When the majority of players seem to be ending the game with excess Faith Points and ignoring important pieces of the Acts of Faith system like Martyrdom and half of the convictions in the list, it starts to feel like there's a disconnect between what the Acts of Faith represent and what the Acts of Faith actually are.  I'm not a lore guy and these are subjective but; I'd like to see more support for flamer weapons in general, especially in the Acts of Faith system. I feel like cleansing flame is a big part of Sisters of Battle and it seems odd that our 'faith powers' don't effect them at all. I also feel like they went slightly too far nerfing Celestine. She doesn't need to be as powerful as she was, it wasn't a healthy thing to have to build an army around, I get that. She just doesn't seem unique or exciting anymore. GW don't have to give her the damn near invincibility she had before, she just needs something to make people go 'Huh, that's cool.' and the resurrection just doesn't cut it for that in 8th edition.  Finally, I tend to favor sisters being fast and aggressive more than slow and plodding. To use space marines as an example, the new codex has us playing like Death Guard, which is fine. I just want some stuff to make playing World Eaters style a little more viable.

Most people here just want to see the current system brought up. Even people like me who would still prefer the old system, are generally okay with the current system, provided it gets tweaked upwards. Them being 'awful' in the past is subjective. I thought they were incredibly well designed. Being at the start of the turn made it so that your opponent had THEIR entire turn to prep for what you were going to do. It was a nice little play-counterplay situation that I enjoyed, again subjectively.  I'm not any more wrong about that than you are. That's the beauty of opinion.

That said, I don't mind the way the current system is setup, I just don't like what it DOES. I personally dislike Vessels more the more I play with it. I think it's responsible for most of the major flaws in the book. I would see Vessels changed to 1-2 CP and only be able to affect the character and 2 other units. If it was more limited I think that would free up a bunch of extra design space for both Acts of Faith and the army as a whole. If you're only effecting 3 units with it max, the buff can be pretty substantial without breaking the game.

For the last paragraph, as far as I can tell, at least some people here aren't totally satisfied with the 'feel' of the army as well. You've credited it to powergamer-isms favoring the more powerful old Acts of Faith, which is a possibility, but isn't necessarily the whole story. I would say that my personal problem with it is how heavily it pushes you towards blobbing up the center, even more so than the fact that it doesn't feel quite as strong as the index.

You've really been enjoying the new book, and that's a GOOD thing. Really it is. And I get being frustrated at people talking down a thing you like, but they're not necessarily wrong it's just subjective.

CaptainMarsh

CaptainMarsh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 650 posts

The system itself isn't a problem, I think. Get FP, spend it on Acts. The structure is fine. The issue is the end result of the process and how our economy works.

The Acts aren't all that impactful. In my 7 games (3-4), none of my opponents really thought it was all that impactful either. You have to design specific scenarios with specific scenarios for any of them to be powerful. No other army has army ide special rules that rely on a specific economy tied to size, can fail, and even if it goes off aren't as impactful as they may sound outside of very specific scenarios.

This is by itself not all that great, but we have two more limiting factors. Pass or fail, we can only attempt any single Act once a round. Fail to get it to go off? Tough. And while we can try to edge the dice in our favor, the fact we have to edge the dice in our favor for the system to be easy to use is a problem as well. On top of that we have the limiting factor of FP tied to size plus 3. This pushes us towards larger squads and sizes. Not a sin by itself, and I benefit as I play blob Sisters most of the time! But it puts the army in a weird spot. It needs an extra edge so it wants the AoF to go off and go off often even if the AoF aren't all that great, but blobs lack competitive edges and even with all the help can fall flat while MSU live and die on what ends up being a smaller pool of potential boons.

I think I can sum it up like this:

Sacred Rites as a Strategem is a terrible trade, yet it connects to our army's major playstyle gimmick. I shouldn't feel like a CP for a FP is an awful trade 90% of the time, but I think it is. 

The system itself is something I can get behind. But if we're tied to an economy and each Act can only be used once a round, then each Act needs to be much more powerful. For how 'broken' people have decided the old system was, it wasn't as if Sisters were rocking Ynnari level win rates and winning all the tournaments. That was free phases that I sometimes got 3-4 off in a turn, all of them the ones I wanted/needed, and then when Suicide Dialogus dies another one would go off. Very, very powerful. Wanna tone *that* down? Cool, I can see that. But there is a mass gulf between the old system and the new system. There is a middle ground where fluff, fun, and effective rests. Hopefully our feedback will help find that.

• Commander Dawnstar, ERJAK, Tirak and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Adepta Sororitas, Sisters of Battle, SoB, Chapter Approved 2018, Sisters Beta Codex, Sisters Acts of Faith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users