Warhammer Quest 40K: Blackstone Fortress

Canadian_F_H

I prefer to paint in subassemblies if there’s any weapons across chests, backpacks etc. But this means I can’t use the minis until they’re completely painted.

So do any of the mins in BSF have anything like that? Or are they nice open poses which are easy to paint fully assembled?

If anyone wants to look into what the miniatures look like assembled without glueing I have some pics in my renegades wip thread.

The models are easy to build but as referred already some parts could easily break or at least get bent.

Link?

Sorry link was in my signature but here it is:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/349863-cornelivs-maximvs-renegades-bane-of-genestealers/page-2

I prefer to paint in subassemblies if there’s any weapons across chests, backpacks etc. But this means I can’t use the minis until they’re completely painted.

So do any of the mins in BSF have anything like that? Or are they nice open poses which are easy to paint fully assembled?

Over half the explorers and most of the hostiles are relatively open poses. Obviously the ranged traitor guardsmen have some weapons covering the chests.

Most could be painted after assembly. In my case I left them unglued in case I want to remove some part during painting, the parts join together rather well so it is not like they will fall apart unglued.

I played one game. Very (surprisingly) fun! Went and ordered myself a box. Gonna play the game with my wife and once I get the hang of it I can see a lot of potential for homebrewing new mobs and player characters. Very excited to give that a shot, though I'll play the base game a bunch first.

I already put the CSM lord and a CSM together. Tho mostly to have more models to compare truescale projects to. Very nice overall tho!

Gonna put the beastmen together because I want to compare them to the beastmen R&H in building.

Nice! I think I’ll convert the chaos dudes as fallen but they should look similar enough that casual players will not be confused. Please post pics if you can for the beastmen, I’m considering picking up the beastmen start collecting for conversion and/or dual system use...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/351032-abhuman-auxiliaries-cfh-wip-log/?do=findComment&comment=5204890

I did the 4 beastmen from BSF, and the 1st 2 beastmen conversionns for the R&H army. Nothing to complex yet...

Would the Betrayal at Calth or Battle for Prospero boards work at all? I know they are way bigger sheets would the hexes could work as a massive area or something for Blackstone Fortress?

I am loving this game so far. Picked up a box on Friday, got everything built. Saturday myself and 3 others played a combat round (not a full expedition unfortunately, just due to time constraints). We all had a good time playing it, despite a lot of questions about rules and whatnot (as to be expected playing a new game for the first time).

I'm very happy the game can be done solo as well. I started an expedition by myself yesterday, just to kill some free time. This game can be so brutal. Got through seven of the exploration cards before the expedition ended. 3 characters taken out of action, 1 of them ending up dead. The other 2 with multiple grievous wounds. It was nasty. And I love it! I can't wait to play more, and I can't wait for the expansions to come out too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As anticipated, Feldherr have produced a foam insert that fits inside the box to hold all the miniatures and cards. Working out which models go in which holes might be a puzzle...

Yeah, that foam looks good. Have just finished putting all the models together (there’s a lot in the box!). Going to try some solo games and if I enjoy it, I can see myself buying a set from Feldherr. Just the shipping cost is a bit annoying.

The Chaos guys are very chuffing spiky almost got one of the Guardsmen to stick to my thumb! The Spindle Drones didn't want to push fit either so I've trimmed the nubs down and glued them - just need to play a game now. 

I've definitely found some of the push fits quite stiff - got there eventually though!

The foam looks great - though with expansions planned and the new ambull shown today could quickly become a juggling act with multiple boxes...

• 3 weeks later...

We've been playing this game on and off at our club, always fun. My personal favorite is UR, just absorbing shots and punching dudes until the flamer girl starts to purge the room. Extra fun with the spindle drone amulet, just take entire groups of spindle drones solo and get inspired along the way.

As we've started to find more equipment cards, how frequently do the active ones of them work?

(I'm translating here, so the actual wording might be different in english)

For example the full auto card says "Play this card after a weapons action to shoot again, no activation dice needed". It doesn't mention how often it can be used, as the one-use cards mention it explicitly. Or the mysterious weapon (the one looted from one of the strongholds) can be played to shoot with it (and requires activation dice as usual).

Can they be played all the time (as long as conditions like previous weapons action or activations dice are met), or once per round/expedition? They're the full value cards, the passive ones of that value (like +1 movement) work all the time.

People at my FLGS have been playing Blackstone Fortress, and me and my buddy Joe had an idea:

Since he and I both own Blackstone Fortress, we could theoretically have games with more than four explorers, as we can double up on Encounters/Boards. I'll keep everyone posted regarding this.

Okay, I found the part about equipment cards. Except for passive ones, they're limited to once a turn.

People at my FLGS have been playing Blackstone Fortress, and me and my buddy Joe had an idea:

Since he and I both own Blackstone Fortress, we could theoretically have games with more than four explorers, as we can double up on Encounters/Boards. I'll keep everyone posted regarding this.

Sounds interesting. But it might pose a problem with concentration of explorers/hostiles: If the hostiles of multiple groups are clustered together, they will put out an insane amount of firepower at the closest explorer, thus removing players from the game regularly. If the hostiles are spaced out as usual, an increased number of explorers might instakill them with ease, while the other hostiles are out of range. In our games, once even 3 out of 4 explorers reach an enemy group, it doesn't take more than one round to kill them all.

Archived