Primaris Calgar: your thoughts?

Dariokan

I was figuring we’d get Calgar in a dreadnought, much like the Red Scorpions character.

Now we know how they’re going to upgrade existing marines. I’m excited. I never liked the terminator armor Calgar, and this will neatly fit into my second edition themed bright blue and yellow army.

The last thing I have to about this is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/wrnjr/EE01F5F4-A1C5-42A5-BC97-E1DD9DBE3E10_zpskwqq0kqo.jpg

I like it.

I don’t mind the maguffin they’ve come up with, a device they can step in to make them Primaris. According to what’s been said at WHW today, the transformation nearly killed him, so I bet this will only be for certain characters

I’m one of those older players, and I definitely want to see the likes of Azrael, Dante, Ragnar, helbrect etc step into the Rubicon and get transformed.

This has a lot of potential

This isn't anything new.

The ability to upgrade existing regular Marines into Primaris Marines was part of the Primaris fluff from the very beginning.

The only thing I don't like is that I'll have to paint Calgar for the third time.

I was hoping for a Calgar Dreadnaught, but this is fine.

This is the 4th version of Calgar. He's like a Pokemon who just keeps evolving.

Big fan of the Honor Guard models.

Calgar is a nice model but there are a few things tempering my enthusiasm:

1) it’s his third iteration, and he doesn’t really look that different honestly

2) it’s a larger scale problem, but I continue to loathe the way primaris were put onto the tabletop by being shoe horned and compressed into 40k fluff. It’s clunky and I still hate the direction they’re going. I get it, but I wish it were done differently.

3) without seeing his rules, Guilliman still renders Calgar obsolete on a crunch and fluff level.

Love it. Paint jobs a bit odd in that only his +2 Fists of Bashing are weathered.

Exactly what I was thinking. And even weirder when you take into account that they are indestructible and no one has been ever able to open them.

Big fan of the Honor Guard models.

Calgar is a nice model but there are a few things tempering my enthusiasm:

1) it’s his third iteration, and he doesn’t really look that different honestly

4th iteration.

http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/marneus-calgar-curis.jpg99800101042_CalgarLordofMacraggeNEW01.jp01.jpg01XOkXBfM6unnE_dXmTM6MVm6rCkdeB6PKBYxn14

Love it. Paint jobs a bit odd in that only his +2 Fists of Bashing are weathered.

Exactly what I was thinking. And even weirder when you take into account that they are indestructible and no one has been ever able to open them.

The Gauntlets are indestructible. The paintjob isn't. Just like Captain America's shield, the metal is indestructible, but Black Panther, bullets, etc can still scratch the paint off.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/4mE2J.jpg

I think the weathering is just to emphasise that the Gauntlets remained the same despite the rest of the armour being upgraded - they are still relics, not new technology.

I think it's more to do with the fact that he's constantly slamming them into stuff.

Eh.
I really dislike the model. The pose doesn't do it for me, it only looks somewhat acceptable from the side imo. The armor looks like a hybridisation of Gravis and Tacticus suits with extra armor plates tacked on wherever there was free space left. The backpack with its four exhausts looks ugly, and the belt buckle is just a little too big. I do like that they decided to stay away from overloading him with gold detail though, like on his terminator-armored mini. The fact that a non-primaris character just got upgraded and what it means for classic space marines bugs me aswell, but I'm too tired to open that can of worms - that also goes for the discussion about this being another Ultramarines character.
If I see someone from here giving the model a different paintjob or even a completely new pose, I may warm up to it. But as it looks right now, it just doesn't do it for me.

I'm not sure why there's hate for the pose. It's pretty clear it's a throwback to a beloved, classic model.

It just doesn't look very dynamic to me. Without any movement in the lower part of Calgar's body, his legs, the tabard and what is visible of his cape kinda just become a single piece in my eyes.

Throwback or not, I'm really not a fan.

Archived