"Primarization" of Future Special Characters

Sete

For me this is the most exciting thing that came out of this Weekender.

Personally besides the 3 BT IC, I'm eager to see the Khan, Seth and Vulkan.

Unfortunately this can also mean that the OGmarine range will become legacy.

What's your take on this development?

Primaris Ragnar!

IMO, OGMarines will become a legacy army by the time 9th Ed drops. It's a sad thing, but it's the unavoidable outcome. 

I just hope the expansion of the Primaris line draws heavily from the existing marines in terms of design, feel and function. 

-Ran

Primaris Ragnar!

IMO, OGMarines will become a legacy army by the time 9th Ed drops. It's a sad thing, but it's the unavoidable outcome. 

I just hope the expansion of the Primaris line draws heavily from the existing marines in terms of design, feel and function. 

-Ran

It's the only outcome for GW to keep their revenue up on Marines players.

They have most likely noticed diminishing sales of their new releases over the years for Marines, so might as well restart.

I don't really mind honestly, as long as they don't ruin the oldMEQ rules.

Don't hate on me for being a downer, but this just makes me sad for the 10,000pts of oldmarines I've collected over the years. On the whole I think it's a good thing that some of the characters from the setting I know and love will have survived the march of time, but it is a reminder of the sacrifices to the setting that were made in order to advance it.

Like my High Elf army for fantasy, it's feeling more and more like my space marines are a collection that just isn't part of the current setting any more.

Yes, GW doesn't prohibit me from using either in games, but they were both built as armies that were part of a particular setting, and the setting has moved on.

On the face of it, 40k/41k isn't very different, but it's seeing a shift in who's alive at the time and a lot else has changed with that.

Right now I'd rather focus on 30k because while it's not seen that much love from GW/FW as a range lately, the range is the setting, so hopefully my collection will never feel out of place in it.

All this said, I don't think this will stop me buying the new Calgar model. It's sweet. The same may be true for any other characters that take my fancy. New models being released are always a good thing for the hobby in general.

WAs the upgrade of the old Astartes into Primaris realy in the codex?
I know we are in Grim Dark, but I thought it impossible for fully grown Astartes to get the new Organs.
I mean, Primaris are bigger, so did Calgar got into an incubator to get taller?

Nah you can keep that you just need to add a few more organs to it.

It's the only outcome for GW to keep their revenue up on Marines players.

They have most likely noticed diminishing sales of their new releases over the years for Marines, so might as well restart.

I don't really mind honestly, as long as they don't ruin the oldMEQ rules.

It's more to do with Marketing and IP rights. They can't trade mark Space Marine to protect their property from third party companies like the whole CH debacle that got us into this mess in the first place. Primaris however can be protected in the same way they changed Imperial Guard into Astra Minestrone, I fully expect a point where they will no longer be referred to as Space Marines anymore. I'm not sure how I feel on that one though to be honest, got nothing against bigger models I just don't like the designs and units released so far. 

WAs the upgrade of the old Astartes into Primaris realy in the codex?

I know we are in Grim Dark, but I thought it impossible for fully grown Astartes to get the new Organs.

I mean, Primaris are bigger, so did Calgar got into an incubator to get taller?

It wasn't possible with what we've known before and it wasn't anywhere mentioned. Hence why it's such big news. We will surely learn about it soon. ;)

This was told to me by someone before the primaris came out.

And it's a way to bring the old marine units into primaris.

And to bring all Marines inline with what there starts should've been.

When everything is primaris, that means your legacy Marines are also primaris.

I'm ok with it, as long as it's limited. I'd rather not see the entire original Marine line get replaced. But I think that's ineveitable, eventually - so I'll just hope it takes them a good few years while I buy up every original Marine kit I can get my hands on. I wasn't planning on a Templar, Dark Angel, Blood Angel or Wolf army. I am now!

On the plus side, there's quite a few original Marine character models that need upgrades. I don't think Calgar was one, but it is what it is and Ultramarines are one of the Chapters I do have an army (mostly grey) for, so there's that. I would have preferred if they'd started with Dante or Azrael though. Those two are really showing their age.

I would have preferred if they'd started with Dante or Azrael though. Those two are really showing their age.

It's definitely in the eye of the beholder - I still think Azrael is an awesome sculpt, way too small I'll grant you, but beautifully detailed. Any new version better included a sculpted banner and Watcher. 

-Ran

Archived