**Rumoured** Ravenwing detachment in Vigilus campaign book

Wrath of Bruinen

Hi everyone,

CM Valrak left an interesting tidbit about the new detachment/formations in the upcoming Vigilus campaign book here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/351428-vigilus-campaign-books-series/?p=5198611

To quote Valrak (sorry mods, having trouble with the quote codes):

http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Do we know if the Detachments in the book are linked to specific subfactions (Chapters/Regiments, etc) or if there are generic/open ones? I assume there are.

Valrak: Something I left out my video (sorry long day), you basically upgrade your detachment so get new traits for your Warlord, new stratagems etc. I'm actually in bed at the moment, super tired, lads, I will get more stuff out tomorrow sometime.

Edit: 

Black Tempalrs and Ravenwing were mentioned in this first book at getting new stuff (Rules wise)."

Let the speculation begin! We might get a return to the good old Ravenwing Attack Squadron from last edition, with bikes, and attack bike, and a land speeder, and could even get a similar bonus/stratagem (+1 to hit with the bikes if targeting a unit the LS has already hit). Or, we might get something completely different!

Anyway, thought it was an interesting little bit of information that people might have missed from the N&R thread

Not surprised this is the direction they are going now all (well, almost all) of the Codices are out - release the basic rules early, then go for campaign books. I just hope they can deliver it better than in seventh.

Guest MistaGav
Maybe it'll be something like giving all RW units obsec like troops choices get and then maybe an improvement to jink. Here's hoping we get a Deathwing and maybe another one too in a similar fashion.

Maybe it'll be something like giving all RW units obsec like troops choices get and then maybe an improvement to jink. Here's hoping we get a Deathwing and maybe another one too in a similar fashion.

Or a mixed wing. Ignore the 9 inch deepstrike rule if Deathwing drop within 3 inches of Ravenwing. Be still my heart.

We need a proper command point return for taking high cost elite & Fast attack detachments

ex - 3 squads of black Knights + 2 HQ's should get you at least 3 command points

same goes for deathwing

Until some generic fixes are done your still going to get CP Farms personally feel that farming should be only available if your entire force is from 1 codex because there are other warlord traits and in guards case other relics.

Looking at certain armies through the lense of gameplay vs fluff, I could see army specific "battalions"
In the specific case of Ravenwing, 2 HQ and 3 Fast attack choices netting you 5 Command Points. Maybe you'd have to specify that even further, having to take bike squadrons as the compulsory choices, but I can see this working in the favour of armies that would otherwise be hard to build but are well established in the lore.

Call me an optimist, but I liked the idea of 7th Ed. detachments. It was some of the execution that was lacking.

Fielding a full battle company of Space Marines? Cool

Take the same unit 3 times and give it additional free upgrades? Yeah...No, the Riptide wing was stupid.

Looking forward to what Games Workshop is cooking up.

Looks like Formations are back....?

I'm not sure how it used to work, but apparently it's only one detachment and now you have to pay CP for the bonuses and that only gets you the rule, the warlord trait, and the relic, and everything else is access to stratigums. And with GWs apparent willingness to balance stratigum costs it will likely be better than last edition 

I'm not sure how it used to work, but apparently it's only one detachment and now you have to pay CP for the bonuses and that only gets you the rule, the warlord trait, and the relic, and everything else is access to stratigums. And with GWs apparent willingness to balance stratigum costs it will likely be better than last edition

To some degree this has already started with the Ork codex. They pay 'x' number of command points to upgrade units. For example, the 'Ard Boyz upgrade for the basic Boyz mob. Apparently this Vigilus Defiant book carries the same idea a few steps further.

To some degree this has already started with the Ork codex. They pay 'x' number of command points to upgrade units. For example, the 'Ard Boyz upgrade for the basic Boyz mob. Apparently this Vigilus Defiant book carries the same idea a few steps further.

If you have next to no command points to start with its pointless

Your typical ravenwing or Deathwing force has 4 / 5 command points also the rule set I've received from a comp I'm entering in February expecially states no farming allowed on pre game CP's (this appears to have been in response to the endless guard farm popping up now allied with Knights)

I about puked when I heard this! My initial thought was "Oh no, they're going to $#%* up 8th edition in order to sell models that aren't selling as well" ...

I about puked again.

But then when another player was telling me how they would cost command points, and that could be increased based on how good the formation was, I felt better. The nausea receded.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/03/3rd-dec-war-zone-vigilus-a-new-theatre-of-wargw-homepage-post-2/

Posted on WHC today. The contents page shows a "Ravenwing Attack Squadron" (do I get points for guessing that correctly in OP?!). Following the example Imperial Fists one, it will probably apply to Ravenwing Bike squadrons, attack bikes, and landspeeders, and Talonmasters (not traditionally in an attack squadron, but the format seems to be including extra warlord traits and relics, and sammael can't take advantage of that).

What do people think about the Blade of Corswain as a new relic? It's the only ravenwing relic that I can really think of, but it might be a challenge to differentiate it from the Heavenfall Blade.

Can't wait to find out more!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/03/3rd-dec-war-zone-vigilus-a-new-theatre-of-wargw-homepage-post-2/

Posted on WHC today. The contents page shows a "Ravenwing Attack Squadron" (do I get points for guessing that correctly in OP?!). Following the example Imperial Fists one, it will probably apply to Ravenwing Bike squadrons, attack bikes, and landspeeders, and Talonmasters (not traditionally in an attack squadron, but the format seems to be including extra warlord traits and relics, and sammael can't take advantage of that).

What do people think about the Blade of Corswain as a new relic? It's the only ravenwing relic that I can really think of, but it might be a challenge to differentiate it from the Heavenfall Blade.

Can't wait to find out more!

I was going to post the exact same thing. Looks like it's wait and see time.

Well the old rules were +1 to BS at the target the Speeder shot at (as long as it hit at least once) and Summon the Deathwing within 12" so.... you never know.

I actually think the former seems more likely than anything, or some sort of aura, relic, or stratagem for ignoring the penalty for moving with heavy weapons for Ravenwing.  It would match up with how the IF detachment looks.  Fluffy, and strong enough to be worth taking, but not so strong that it's overpowered.   It'd at least make my occasional attempts to use my Land Speeder a little less frustrating.

While I'll be happy with anything we get, I'm hoping that the formation has more flexibility than just the historic version of the RW Attack Squadron.

6 Bikes, an Attack Bike, and a Speeder are nice, but it is 3 units with no flexibility, and it doesn't fit the units in our current codex.

I'm hoping it is 2-3 FA units with the RW keyword with a couple special rules and stratagems.

If it's similar to what I've gathered from around the internet it probably won't be so rigid, probably an upgrade to the fast attack detachment with bonuses or synergy to units with Ravenwing in the name. It'll be able to build the old school Ravenwing attack squadrons but won't be locked to it.

Archived