Airborne, Hover Jet, and Objectives

Jolemai

The latest BRB FAQ has an addendum about Sudden Death and to paraphrase it, models who have the Flyers Battlefield Role do not count for this; in short it's all about boots on the ground. The blurb to support this is that they don't stay in combat airspace indefinitely. However, this doesn't say anything about collecting objectives during/at the end of the game.

Now, it's my understanding that those with the Airborne special rule can't collect objectives.

• Have I/my group just assumed this based on the Sudden Death ruling above?
  • Is it because the flying base is more than 3" tall (and thus you're out of range of an objective, or is that another assumption/rules lawyering/house rule)?
  • Does it mention in anywhere in the BRB/various FAQs?

If I elect to use Hover Jet on a model that has it, it loses Airborne (and some other special rules) for that turn.

• Can it now collect objectives?
  • Many folk remove the model from the flying stand at this point (house rule?). Whilst being fluffy and a good way to keep track during a game this would put it into range of collecting an objective...
  • Is this any rules that support using Hover Jet in this manner, or is this overruled by any restrictions to it's battlefield role (if there are any and if so, where considering the above blurb about Sudden Death is just that: blurb)?

So the rules do exactly as they say.

Flyers don't count for Sudden Death because of their battlefield role. The only ruling that refers to rules is the Sudden Death section, the comment about holding ground would need to talk specifically about objectives to count for them. Which leads me too...

In Chapter Approved 2018 there were new Match Play rules implemented, one of which was:

Boots on the Ground:

When determining which player controls an objective marker, exclude all units that have the Flyer Battlefield Role – these units can never control objective markers

It's hidden in the new missions, but is effective in ALL matched play games.

Regarding Hover Jets, again this has no interactions with the ability to capture objectives. Using a Stormraven as the example, it simply removes the Airbourne, Hard to Hit & Supersonic rules and lowers the movement for the model from 20"-45" to 0"-20".

So the rules do exactly as they say.

Flyers don't count for Sudden Death because of their battlefield role. The only ruling that refers to rules is the Sudden Death section, the comment about holding ground would need to talk specifically about objectives to count for them. Which leads me too...

In Chapter Approved 2018 there were new Match Play rules implemented, one of which was:

Boots on the Ground:

When determining which player controls an objective marker, exclude all units that have the Flyer Battlefield Role – these units can never control objective markers

It's hidden in the new missions, but is effective in ALL matched play games.

Regarding Hover Jets, again this has no interactions with the ability to capture objectives. Using a Stormraven as the example, it simply removes the Airbourne, Hard to Hit & Supersonic rules and lowers the movement for the model from 20"-45" to 0"-20".

Question about the bold part.... is that CA 2018 thats not been put up for pre-order OR is it a typo for 2017?

(never brought the 2017 one so cant check)

Archived