Tempestor Prime worth it?

Wassa

So after building about 90 Cadians and 30 Catachans, I've treated myself to a box of Scions.

Primarily I need them to help grab distant objectives and deep strike behind enemy lines which the infantry squads struggle with.

Is it worth building a Tempestor Prime to buff the others? It seems that for the same points you could just buy another squad!

The only real benefit I see is the access to the Storm Trooper Doctrine.

Orders are the bread and butter of any Guard infantry. That's true for Whiteshields just as much as the elite of the Militarum Tempestus.

There's few things deadlier for the point cost than a few squads and command squads with as much plasma as possible dropped near a high profile target. Those guys want and need their orders.

If all you ever do with them is grab some objectives you can likely go without. But in my view, that's wasted potential and of very limited use.

In short yes. My scions constantly roll 1's to hit, I roll without a prime. The tempestor prime wud of given me an opportunity to reroll and get another 1. Seriously though as said above more orders it's never a bad thing

I agree with everything said already.

But here's a twist: is the tempestor prime worth it in kill team? I maintain that a lord commissar costs the same amount of points but is better at everything except for orders. And in the case of orders why wouldn't you take a company or platoon commander?

With no invuln, high cost, and mediocre stats/aura ability, I can't convince myself to take one.

Elimination protocols sanctioned makes your plasma 50% more effective against T8 and the prime opens up the possibility of getting a command squad for no-strings-attached plasma death.

If you ever want to use the scions for assassination/destruction missions then you want that prime.

1) Take Tempestor Prime with Command Rod and Laurels of Command

2) Take 3 max Plasma Scion Squads

3) Drop next to something you want super dead

4) Use Strategem for 3 Orders and give Take Aim + hope for Elimination Protocols

5) Smoke a Knight

Never thought of a combo like that. Do you use scion command or normal scion squads? Assuming double plasma and plasma pistol on the standard squads? Or do you run 10 man squads?

4) Use Strategem for 3 Orders and give Take Aim + hope for Elimination Protocols

5) Smoke a Knight

5) Smoke a Knight

I like where your head is at.

I might have to take this in the future.

5) Smoke a Knight

Add a lord commissar and you can make a battalion. That gives you access to the tempestus doctrine and +5cp. Decent chance for a few extra plasma shots, and a lord commissar is pretty useful if you are taking some infantry in the rest of your army.

I played this battalion a few times:

- Prime with Command Rod and Laurels

- Primaris Psyker

- Tempestus Command Squad with 4 Hot-Shot volley guns

- 3 10-men Tempestus Scion Squads with 4 plasma guns and 1 plasma pistol

In one game they downed a Knight with 4++ from full health, in another just one Squad killed a full redemptor dread. Got like 12 hits and 10 wounds with 9 shots. That was rather lucky though. In the case of the knight the laurels went off 3 times.

I'm aiming to start a small Tempestus force to go alongside my Raven Guard and Grey Knights. Will be quite thematic and fluffy but also want it to be casually competitive.

So with that in mind, what is the role of the Command Squad with the volley guns? From everything I've seen and read, it's 4 plasma or else you're wasting time no?

Archived