FORTIFICATION

Bunker

-Ammo Store

-Gun Emplacement with Quad-gun

-Void Shield

Note: list is meant to be a 5-8/10 on the competitive scale

Note: bit wonky based on models available

Concept:

Grind the enemy down through stubborn attrition and pinpoint firepower....straight outta the IV Legion handbook.

The Bunker forms the centerpiece of the list and deployment of it is going to be almost make-or-break for this list. A squad of Havocs goes in there for that sweet, sweet re-rolling 1's to add to their BS5 Tank Hunting deliciousness. Either the 10x Tac squad or the other Havoc squad goes on top to man the Quad gun for AA.

The rest of the list grinds forward, not taking Morale tests from ranged casualties due to IV Legion CT, then being Stubborn with re-rolls from Perturabo/Vexilias otherwise. The two squads of Tacticals will hopefully be able to spread out and gum up the works of the center of the board while being non-threatening enough to not be a priority, yet deadly enough against Infantry to pack a punch, alternating between Fury of the Legion against stabby targets and the ability to Rapid Fire bolters + charge thanks to Hammer of Olympia perk (hence paying for the combat blades).

Perturabo and the Warsmith go with the Siege Tyrants and either drop in and nuke stuff or march up the board as well, dropping 16x Krak missiles with Tank Hunters (Perturabo) on stuff. Alternatively, one or both of the characters break off and bury in a big Tac blob to spread the damage around.

Dreadnoughts are there as counter-assault and to draw fire away from the Bunker/Siege Tyrants and vice versa.

Not sure if there's any fat that could be trimmed other than maybe on the Warsmith somehow?

Feedback welcome.

Hey, 

list looks pretty solid, I just have a few recommendations/thoughts:

- It can be tricky getting mileage out of a leviathan without a dreadnought drop pod, most of their weapons are pretty short range and they tend to draw a fair bit of attention. You might find that you only get to shoot the storm cannon a couple of times before it gets killed. (i'd also recommend armoured ceramite)

- I would think about a dedicated unit for Perturabo to join, siege tyrants aren't optimal as they want to be shooting and Perturabo wants to be in melee. 

hope that helps a bit :) 

I think it's pretty decent, Indefragable mate.  Like, I'm not spotting anything that seems like an immediate red flag given the gravel munching nature of the IV boys (no breachers which always makes me sad... they aren't super competitive but they are super cool).  Without it being 'change it to what I prefer, to include more tanks, Nyaaaaah' I think it'll probably do what you want it to though I worry about not having some mass infantry killer.  You have a lot of troopers in your arsenal but it might have some issues getting thinned by something like legion artillery, those :censored: mortars, etc in 3K environments. You do look set to deal with armour, though which is nice as we know a lot of 30K players proclivities regarding treads. 

I'd generally agree with Varyn on it but I'm not entirely sure about the Leviathan drop pod: it's conventional wisdom but with nothing able to delay that T1 drop so you can get into position with the rest of your slow moving force, there's a very real worry about it being 'the Lost Battalion' and getting strung out in a bad spot next to a mobile army.  Every astartes with dreams of grandeur will be wanting to clamp a melta bomb on him in short order, and he doesn't have the dual long range weapons to get the job done when he comes down.  Even armoured ceramite won't help a javelin ramming a few rockets up its tailpipes.  I mean, my fear is that it's gonna land, the storm cannon and pals will chew up half a dozen unfortunate legion dudes, flip off the environment with the phosphex, and then pray that they don't use something more than harsh language and spit wads unless he can get his back to a wall.  So, the foot slogging version might work just as well as a counter punch unit to at least vaguely mitigate some of the inevitable threats like deep striking plasma seekers wanting to nip at those Tyrants (Like my XVI would do), without having to turn an overwhelming amount of firepower at them.

I kinda like the Tyrant/Pert combination, it is fluffy but Tank Hunter+large number of tyrants just feels mean.  Honestly, while I rarely ever see fortresses and what not getting used at all, I don't see a lot of fat to trim save for Combi-flamers on sergeants (who don't have power weapons or artificer plate) and maaaaybe the melta bombs?  I mean, you have a decent anti-armour punch with the two Iron Havocs, Tank Hunter Tyrants, and the dreads.  Though a word on the 2 dreads, it feels like they're gonna feel the brunt of some sad single las cannons as they're the only armour on the table. 

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Leviathan:

-I don't have the funds (either real world or points) for a Dreadnought Drop Pod at the moment <shrug>

-I keep getting 8th ed 40k and 30k stats mixed up....I thought the stormcannon was 36" range..

-...so what about going dual CQW on it? If you're gonna DISTRACTION CARNIFEX, you might as well go big or go home, right? Point at the enemy and distract the heck out of 'em

Warsmith

-I could drop the Servo Arm, I suppose to get a few points back

Tacticals

-can you take combi-bolters on Tac Sgts? Is it like 40k where pretty much any unit that can take a combi- weapon can take a storm bolter?

-are 16 bodies enough?

Bunker

-I feel like a Void Shield is just the right level of mean to dissuade enemies from firing at it at all, freeing the Havocs up to unload even more. Is it something I could trim?

Alternatively, I could drop the Leviathan and push the Tacs up to 17, 18, etc... or even try to get a 3rd 15ish squad.

I could also add in 5x Cataphractii termies, Rhinos, a single Outrider squad, and/or a single Iron Circle bot (yea, I only have one, but damn they are expensive in both life and game)! I also am building a smorgasboard of HQ's (Champion, Chaplain, Librarian) for reasons.

Honestly I think you're pretty good to go, mate.  Why not try it once or twice to see how you feel about it before changing anything up.  Because I do think it has a lot of potential as afoot slogger force to match the Long March XVI and Reaping XIV legions.  It's just getting to 'anticipate' the reactions of your opponent and learning how to mitigate the very real threat of mobility and armour advantage.  

Heh, no worries on the 8E vs. AoD mix ups, I'm still doing it... a lot.  Stormcannon is still 24" but it's more that the melta gun is 12, the phosphex is 6-18", and flamers are template. So it's short range even if it's mean. The stormcannon has sunder so it'll crack open light armour pretty reliably but... I kinda like the claw/drill combination and my Angels have one of them while another is kitted out almost exactly like yours for my Sons of Horus. Personally, I think this is a good jack of all trades. 

As for combi-bolters on tac sergeants, I wish (And I made that mistake with 3 of mine too) Only vet sergeants get that option as far as I know (and terminator sergeants).  It would be a whole lot better as far as I'm concerned but noooooo -sighs at that- 16 bodies is right in that middle of the road, it lacks mobility and it lacks the true carry-through of a full 20 strong squad that usually ends up investing in Apothecaries. Personally, without the real steadiness of the Xth or some other mitigating factors, you're gonna see a lot of people advocating dropping to 10 and getting a rhino instead.  Even I think maybe 1 on the 10 strong group as a mobile reserve could be decent (drop the two squads to 15, and the combi-flamers from the tacs and you can fit in a Rhino). 

The other option (if you have it) would be if you have a second contemptor to replace the leviathan and then strengthen the other squads.  But I do think that in city-fights or the like, that leviathan even on foot will pay real dividends. 

Archived