What do you like about Primaris?

BLACK BLΠFLY

In-universe, if the upgrade to Primaris better fits the Emperor's vision of the end state of the Legiones Astartes project, its fine. Its also been ten thousand years. They could retroactively incorporate various phasing in of primaris organs until the High Lords approve their deployment following the Gathering Storm. Go back in and polish the edges by having oldmarines undertake the implantation over the past one hundred years instead of all at once.

Appearance:

• Intercessors are a good 'upgrade' to the visual appeal of regular Power Armour. The gorget is a good tie in to the Mk8 Errant's upgrade over Mk7 Aquila; the small technical details are nice; and the model is obviously much better proportioned. I also very much like the design of the Bolt Rifle et al.
  • Reivers are ok, but I generally find them to be a little...off? The skull mask is apparently some tie in to their Terror Troops rule, but is pretty lame (yes, I know it's supposed to be a radio screeching too) and their lighter armour is just not as nice as the Intercessor's MkX.
  • Inceptors I like, after I removed the little skateboards and modelled them lower to the ground. The bigger Jump Packs are fine, and feel like they could actually give an Inceptor a decently stable firing platform. I'm not a huge fan of Gravis, but Inceptors make it work well.
  • Aggressors are ok, but I have a severe dislike of how the gauntlets are modelled - the gun positioning just feels off somewhat and makes the fists look extra unwieldy. Overall they look fine, but I think they're better when converted some.
  • Hellblasters: basically the same as Intercessors (good) with big ass Plasma, so I find them to be pretty cool looking.
  • Redemptor Dreadnought - it's fine, but it looks a little too dumpy for my tastes. Personal preference, but I feel like the proportions are a bit off. The big Macro Plasma is cool and the fist is good.
  • Repulsor: eh, it's got an ok design, but the bolted on million weapon systems just makes it feel slapdash to me. If I converted it to have a more cohesive weapon placement I think I'd like it a lot more.

Rules/Gameplay:

• Inceptors are the mobile fire support unit I've always wanted Marines to have, and they're pretty great.
  • Aggressors have damn impressive amounts of dakka, which is nice - Space Wolves Aggressors are pretty solid, with Hunters Unleashed giving their fists some extra power which is much needed.
  • Hellblasters are obviously great.
  • Intercessors do have good resilience, though their output is pretty seriously lacking.

Fluff:

• N/A :teehee:

What I love about Primaris is that they remind me so much of Crusade and Heresy era marines, not just in appearence but fluff. After reading Horus Rising I could never really cheer for the Imperium knowing that it's a sad hollow reflection of what it used to be, with the Primaris being introduced and Gilly coming back it kinda feels like that Great Crusade era optimism is back. My dudes don't have to be religious zealots like most of the wider Imperium and it can still fit within the established canon (without them being declared heretics, though that's coming from a mainly Chaos player).

Plus the models look lovely and the range isn't bloated or overwhelming.

What I love about Primaris is that they remind me so much of Crusade and Heresy era marines, not just in appearence but fluff. After reading Horus Rising I could never really cheer for the Imperium knowing that it's a sad hollow reflection of what it used to be, with the Primaris being introduced and Gilly coming back it kinda feels like that Great Crusade era optimism is back. My dudes don't have to be religious zealots like most of the wider Imperium and it can still fit within the established canon (without them being declared heretics, though that's coming from a mainly Chaos player).

Plus the models look lovely and the range isn't bloated or overwhelming.

Preach!

Appearance:

• Intercessors are a good 'upgrade' to the visual appeal of regular Power Armour. The gorget is a good tie in to the Mk8 Errant's upgrade over Mk7 Aquila; the small technical details are nice; and the model is obviously much better proportioned. I also very much like the design of the Bolt Rifle et al.
  • Reivers are ok, but I generally find them to be a little...off? The skull mask is apparently some tie in to their Terror Troops rule, but is pretty lame (yes, I know it's supposed to be a radio screeching too) and their lighter armour is just not as nice as the Intercessor's MkX.
  • Inceptors I like, after I removed the little skateboards and modelled them lower to the ground. The bigger Jump Packs are fine, and feel like they could actually give an Inceptor a decently stable firing platform. I'm not a huge fan of Gravis, but Inceptors make it work well.
  • Aggressors are ok, but I have a severe dislike of how the gauntlets are modelled - the gun positioning just feels off somewhat and makes the fists look extra unwieldy. Overall they look fine, but I think they're better when converted some.
  • Hellblasters: basically the same as Intercessors (good) with big ass Plasma, so I find them to be pretty cool looking.
  • Redemptor Dreadnought - it's fine, but it looks a little too dumpy for my tastes. Personal preference, but I feel like the proportions are a bit off. The big Macro Plasma is cool and the fist is good.
  • Repulsor: eh, it's got an ok design, but the bolted on million weapon systems just makes it feel slapdash to me. If I converted it to have a more cohesive weapon placement I think I'd like it a lot more.

Rules/Gameplay:

• Inceptors are the mobile fire support unit I've always wanted Marines to have, and they're pretty great.
  • Aggressors have damn impressive amounts of dakka, which is nice - Space Wolves Aggressors are pretty solid, with Hunters Unleashed giving their fists some extra power which is much needed.
  • Hellblasters are obviously great.
  • Intercessors do have good resilience, though their output is pretty seriously lacking.

Fluff:

• N/A :teehee:

Quoted for truth. Or at the very least opinions I fully concur with.

I also like the fact Primaris vehicles seem to all be grav repulsor, which will helps set them apart from others. The line also feels more 'elegant' from design standpoint... but its got some obvious holes yet to feel, i think all would agree they need a techmarine just for completionist sake before we even go into what kind of vehicles squads and other character we can add ot the list.

I doubt chapter masters are going to authorise all their marines going through primarisation if it’s really dangerous, regardless of if they all want to or not. It’s not worth risking 10 marines if 9 will die and you only get 1 Primaris for example.

It’s not even worth risking great heroes just for the small power boost, but I guess chapter masters don’t really have anyone to tell them not to do it. Really it’s just a vague Mcguffin they will use to justify doing some famous character they want to do in the Primaris style.

Really it’s just a vague Mcguffin they will use to justify doing some famous character they want to do in the Primaris style.

That's the main takeaway from it. Hence why it's pretty pointless to argue whether famous character would do it or not. They would do it if GW wants to release Primaris versions for them and they wouldn't if GW wants to keep them as regular Marines.

Canadian, what do you mean by hashing such a disagreement? Do you mean the Primaris one or the fallacy one?

The fallacy one primarily

Tho the primaris debate is getting circular in general across the board.

Everybody just be civil, try to be positive, and don't let yourself get too pedantic about semantics. This whole convo so far has been decent in summation and can stay that way if we all want it to.

Some say Marneus was just torso prior to the procedure so I don’t think he is a good example.

And then we wonder what happens to Dante, one of the oldest marines...

No wait, ex machina!

I do like the sizes of them, knee armor trim might need removing and helmets changing but they are nice size. Good conversion potential too for certain dioramas.

I think GW did the best they could introducing some new blood into their biggest cash cow. As with any army there are units I like and others I dont like aesthetically.

My favorite is the Primaris Chaplain, such a badass! Best GW mini 2017 IMHO. (suck it Mortarion!)

The Apothecary is great looking too. Marneus C looks suitably heroic and imposing.

I like the Intercessors and Hellblasters, they look like updated Space Marines. I like that they are not covered in bling.

Aggressors look like menacing walking tanks and "beer belly" Grav Captain is cute. :teehee: Not a fan of the Gene Simmons plateau shoes but thats an easy fix.

Reivers look intimidating, GW nailed the aesthetic on these. They look like speedy and stealthy assassins who like to slit throats and terrorize the enemy.

What I personally dont agree with aesthetically are the inceptors. They look like they all stumbled on their sandwich irons which stuck to their feet. The plastic rod seemingly up their *bleep* isnt helping either. And I dont get the nailgun bolters.

The repulsor looks like a land raider which got robbed of its tracks in a bad neighborhood. Then an Inceptor slapped on some spare sandwich irons on it and all the spare guns from the bitz box. :tongue.:

I'm pretty easy to please, and usually like things that most people seem to not like, at least on the internet. I think the fluff is cool, the idea of a secret project that has had ten thousand years to grow is super cool. I expect more out of it though, if Cawl really spent 10k making these bad boys, he has to have made more than five variants. I like the repulsor a lot, the grav tech looks cool, and it's like a tank Apc. The mkX looks like upgraded Mk4. I want to replace all the backpacks with mk3 though. I just over all want more Primaris, not to change what we have and I love.

After some bewilderment about losing a page...

I like the Primaris Marines because of their fluff. I like the idea that these guys were tithed to Cawl during the height of the Imperium as an attempt to improve on the Space Marine design when they were put on ice, then when they wake up 10 thousand years have passed, everything the Imperium is now is utterly different from what the Imperium was reaching for when they went into cryo. I really like that fish out if water aspect. I just want to see more examples of mutual distrust between OG Marines and Primaris Marines. 

It also gave me a reason to slowly start collecting Space Marines because I never liked the fluff of the existing Space Marines. Surfer dudes Beach bum marines who are much less 'serious' works with the Primaris fluff.

Keeping things positive, I'm ok with supersizing Calgar. It might be literal Deus ex machina but as long as they don't try it/make it successful with every old character it should be fine. Doing it for a character such as, say, Azrael or Belial could help bridge the trust gap between old marines and new marines and lead in to answers on how Primaris fit in to divergent chapter structures.

I like the aesthetics of most Primaris releases. There are some minor things -- the occasional goofy pose, inceptor rocket hats, etc -- that I might not be 100% on board with, but as I like converting everything anyways it's nothing insurmountable.

The fluff...started off in a much worse spot than it is now. The introduction was incredibly hamfisted, and while they'd have to do some serious retcons to get rid of that, the writing quality has improved and they're building on the rocky start as best they can.

Color me cautiously optimistic about future releases.

Yeah the whole tested for 10,000 years sort of reminds me of Dr. Light and reploid/X technology in the Megaman X games (the archeologist who found X reverse engineered him to make reploids and sell them off. Dr. Light was right in wanting to test X, who mostly was proven just, as the reploid copies had a tendency to fall to rampancy/Maverick state due to a virus/corruption put out by Dr. Light's once friend and old enemy Dr. Wily)

I like them because they look (compared to older marines) like Spartan 2s compared to Spartan 4s, and look how Astartes should look. Their pauldrons aren't as stupidly big, they aren't covered with skulls and robes that would get caught in battle (as a Hunter main in destiny, I have a soft spot for hooded cloaks though)

Space marines on bikes is still :cussing stupid, and the Primaris Crisis Suits fill that niche better by providing drop heavy fire (like crisis suits...) Working better with the fly keyword to fall back and shoot instead of falling back and assaulting like bikes, which seems counter intuitive to a stable shooting platform like a bike, like how it's counter intuitive for assault marines (and their cousins) to be able to fall back and shoot...

Calgar and other post marine augmentation could almost be seen as how Luther and Kor Phaeron are enhanced.

As for rules for PriMarneus, it's +1 wound, attack and toughness, for Primaris and gravis armor, assuming 3+4++ and put his standard rules on top.

I like primaris. I'm just hoping for an intercessor esque redesign of terminator armour.

The Calgar thing is interesting. A unit of veterans, 'Rubicon marines', with the iconic helmet would be nice.

I was dead set against the primaris at inception mostly because I have over three hundred old marines. Over time the change in proportion just spoke to me.

I have to say, I hope we never get conventional bikes again as I do think they are a really silly marine unit, and even when biker captains and biker command squads were the hottest unit on the tabletop I couldn't bring myself to field them.

Hover bikes make a lot more sense as something that might function lol, even though they are purely sci-fi

Considering how iconic the Space Marine is, GW nailed it with the Primaris.

Think of the responsibility of modernising the marine range and the questions that brings up. How do we make them still look like marines? How do we design them in such a way that we can improve on the already established love and acceptance of the 'mini-marine?' Well - GW knocked it out of the park on all fronts with the Primaris range.

Intersessors are just gorgeous and I will take them over the mini-marine any day. Some complain of the lack of pose-ability, but in all honesty, there is only so much twisting of the mini-marine torso you can do before the model becomes derpy. And boy have I seen my fair share of derpy mini marines. At least with the Primaris range - the marines are actually shooting, running etc. The posing, while limited, makes for a much more realistic and appealing look.

Gravis armour - I actually really like it. While I would like to see a Primaris Terminator, I quite like the look of the Gravis armour overall. I will choose them over centurions any-day of the week.

The repulsor is awesome. Just don't make it top heavy and all of a sudden it looks like a modern APC - exactly as designed and described.

hr5FTiA.jpg?1

The redemptor is also awesome and needs to be posed correctly. Unfortunately almost every redemptor I have seen hasn't been done so (even from GW) which makes people think it's boxy/fat and not in proportion. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I posed mine in a way that makes it look way more in proportion and menacing. (Twist the torso, spread the arms out to make it look like he is bracing to fire, plant feet firmly on the ground etc..)

Hs1ps0f.jpg?1

I love all the Primaris stuff and while I don't collect Ultramarines, Marneus and his honour guard looks gorgeous, and I am jealous! Now I wait for Kantor to undergo the treatment :)

Archived