What do you like about Primaris?

BLACK BLΠFLY

They are definitely better proportioned.

I always liked the Blood Angels fluff but the 7e Codex was so bland it made me pick up T'au when their Codex dropped (instantly fell in love with Breacher, Stealth Suits and the Ghostkeel) and when I tried to do some Blood Angels again I realised that I didn't really like the Marine models at that time. Then GW released Primaris and I consider myself once more a Blood Angels player ... now I just need some Primaris units with Jump Packs and melee weapons. :P

What I like about Primaris.

At the moment very little.

But they have potential to grow.

Just waiting for the range to be expanded.

Is this the start of a Poem?
Just for you

Here's the second half:

Their lore is brittle

And all these ultra releases blow

I just wish I could tell how I fell without being reprimanded.

Just for you

Here's the second half:

Their lore is brittle

And all these ultra releases blow

I just wish I could tell how I fell without being reprimanded.

I was about to suggest starting a "What do you dislike about Primaris" thread, but I imagine that's already been opened and locked 45 times by now...

Sorry!

Hope you eventually get to see what you want, though. I'm okay with there being a big Ultra Primaris release, especially Calgar, since the only other Primaris ultra release was limited to one country in a magazine.

Though I will say that I'd love to see each of these big name dudes come out with a release...

I mean, imagine if it even followed the same structure of chapter master + 2 honour guard. Shrike with a new, special blinged out raven guard jump pack accompanied by two lightning claw wielding Primaris beakies? Helbrecht with a couple champion style sword dudes? Vulkan next to a couple flame dogs? Lysander accompanied by nothing but two giant stones?  

Here's the problem with Primaris dislike threads.

giphy.gif

People who like them filter into the dislike thtrsds, then the dislikers go to the like threads, which turns onto a screaming match and things get heated which leads to a bunch of locked threads from the overflowing salt.

100% agreed. For every negative there are usually a plethora of opportunities to be positive. One just needs to figure out how.

Over all my positive take away from primaris is the following.

1) They look much better proportioned

2) they look as imposing as marines should look when placed next to my cadians, Cultists and other humans.

3) they have motivated me to truescale all of my marines so that I no longer an bothered by the proportions of them that have bothered me for nigh on 2 decades.

4) they have somewhat reset the aesthetic of marines. The "bling creep" has been noticed by some, but quiting around 2003/2004 and coming back in 2014/2015. I'll tell you it was quite a shock to see how heavily laden down some marines are. Bling has its place and opinions vary, bit I feel like most marines in most armies shouldnt have so much. Marines already look cool to me. And a few chapters of units having more bling stands out better than every army being full of it imo.

5) their stat line and equipment is largely what marines need to be to feel right compared to other army's core infantry. Gone are the days where straight 4s was elite because everybody else was straight 3s with the odd 2 and 4 added to diverge them from mortal humans. When the vast majority of units in the game had 6+ or 5+ saves and more elite units typicallt had 4+ saves with 3+ & 2+ saves relegated to rare elites and characters. And high AP weapons were expensive and few shots. Marines as least felt elite in 3rd edition to me. Primaris are a step in the right direction in terms of stats and basic gear.

5) their stat line and equipment is largely what marines need to be to feel right compared to other army's core infantry. Gone are the days where straight 4s was elite because everybody else was straight 3s with the odd 2 and 4 added to diverge them from mortal humans. When the vast majority of units in the game had 6+ or 5+ saves and more elite units typicallt had 4+ saves with 3+ & 2+ saves relegated to rare elites and characters. And high AP weapons were expensive and few shots. Marines as least felt elite in 3rd edition to me. Primaris are a step in the right direction in terms of stats and basic gear.

These days it takes straight 5s, mutliple wounds and ideally a 2+ save to feel actually elite lol

These days it takes straight 5s, mutliple wounds and ideally a 2+ save to feel actually elite lol

So bascally what Terminators should have been?

The Primaris walk the tight line between Elite and cannon fodder - not too expensive and geared up for one lost model to hurt too much, but not useless as a single model either.

Hey, I just realized, I like that.

Edit: and marginally higher point costs mean that it won't take too long to get to 2000pts. That's good. Not on Custodes levels though, it probably takes a single evening to get 2000pts of them up and running :whistling::wink:

A few things to like about the Primaris!

The looks are pretty good

The new unit types bring some novelty

Stats and rules convey the beefiness of Marines much better than with the older units

Not a great painter nor is it my favourite part of the hobby, so more point per model = less models to field, but about 30%.

Bigger models are easier to paint for hamfisted dudes like me

No pre-existing fluff allows GW more freedom in coming up with unit types. Aside from the crazy looks and the OP weapon, Centurions caused an outrage due to not being codex compliant.

___

Would it have been better if GW just updated the rules for the Marines overall rather than coming up with a new line? Probably.

That said, nothing prevents any of us from homebrewing 'truestat' Marines based off of the new points base for Primaris at 18pts per model with the statline.

I know I wouldn't mind playing with these homebrewed rules if an opponent asks for the favour.

I mean, we literally can play with any model. I know I wouldn't mind beta-ing Primaris 'Tactical' type squads with the standard codex approved loadout.

I love the clean look, the menace their build oozes, and the way that Gravis is an add-on rather than different mark really helps with visual coherency. Intercessors/Hellblasters were initially the only ones I liked, but the proper kit of Inceptors made me fall in love with them (the blast shielding visors look ace). I am still iffy on Aggressors (and the Gravis Captain) but love the profile of the Repulsor and Redemptor, they just need careful posing and a reduction in unnecessary accessories to make them pop.

The only thing I don't like is that when you mix Primaris and regular Marines the former exacerbate the proportion issues the latter have. Hence I am keeping my Salamanders Primaris-free and doing a pure Primaris force (probably Ultramarines having seen Calgar and, especially, his bodyguards).

For me Warhammer has always been about 2/3 modeling and painting 1/3 gaming.

Just when I was thinking about switching to get more Sigmar that have a great model lineup, GW come back with a good line of Marines from hobby perspective and while I’ll still keep my old scouts and marines but I don’t think I’ll paint and convert a lot of oldmarine from now on. The new models are just so nice and clean and fun to paint to a good level.

Oh I'm done with buying old marines. Most that I have are old and badly painted if painted it all... So I'm stripping and converting them via a truescale technique I like. What can't be scaled will be left in a display case I suppose. Mostly a few pewter minis that would require utter butchery and converting skills I cannot fathom.

In the mean time im converting the heck out of whatever primaris models I can to be as worthy of being Black Templars vs possible. Some taking more work than others.

The apothecary has an awesome tabard. All he really requires is BT pauldron or transfer. Tho in hind sight I should have slept on it. I would have removed the details on the grieve and added some stuff and chains. But less is more.

I love them personally!

The proportions are so much better than the old marines, and the new units have great abilities on the tabletop.  Once GW gets it through their heads that marines either need more special rules or cheaper points costs I think they're going to be a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

I'm extremely excited to see where GW takes them in the coming months.  The new IF upgrade sprue indicates to me that GW has decided Primaris are worth pursuing and we're going to start seeing a TON of options and units for them.

I was happy  with the sculpts/sizing  for  the Intercessors, hellblasters, Non-Gravis characters and the Dreadnought. Everything else I have mixed feelings about...  I came from 30K and vastly prefer the specialized single weapon units of legion over the codex equivalents. In such a way Intercessors and Hellblasters are effectively the Legion Tactical Squad and Plasma Support squads of the great crusade recast anew... Hopefully the Sergeants and characters  will gradually be allowed to take more variant weapons as time moves on.

The models are fantastic, I only had a small force of old marines which I sold to buy Primaris so I don't feel the hurt of those who have massive collections, but I always did think it was silly that the Marines and Guardsmen were the same size. These are Marines as they should be.

The backstory is pants though. I get that GW needed a reason to just say that all the old Marines are now obsolete because that would have been the death of the company. Look at the anger after the end of warhammer Fantasy, lesson learned there but maybe a new Mark of power armour found at the back of the Emperors closet would have been better?

Yeah, the fluff is a tad peculiar.

Now with all the old tin models still about, nobody would have batted an eye at larger models. And proportions that actually work? Hell yes!

But hey, Cawl suddenly pulling Tacitus and Gravis armors out of his abdomen and those armors are so darn good they provide the same durability as Terminator armor or better?

IDK... it's less crazy that what we've got, and I actually like crazy...

One thing I do like is that we are in a bit of a vacuum where so many characters are out of scale (from my perspective) affording me, great opportunity for conversions. And I feel I have a need to make these conversions to satisfy my army's visual appeal. So I have motivation is well.

I've got a few conversions on the works now that are coming along quite nicely. Some more extreme than others.

Archived