Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

3rd Company Seeks Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ChaosRising

ChaosRising

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 315 posts
I have not played since sometime in 7th ed, at which point I was trying to build up the *entire* 3rd Co. Once 8th ed arrived I decided to wait and see which way things went on the gaming end before paying an arm and a leg for rulebooks I might never use. As such, I don't own anything from 8th yet.

So, with that in mind, I'm looking for feedback on how best to employ the forces listed below.

++Dark Angels 3rd Company++

Company Master
-bolt pistol & power sword

Librarian
-bolt pistol
-force sword

Squad 1
-7 bolters
-plasma gun
-plasma cannon
-sgt w/ plasma pistol & chainsword

Squad 2
-9 bolters
-plasma gun

Squad 3
-8 bolters
-melta gun
-multi melta

Squad 4
-8 bolters
-flamer
-heavy bolter

Squad 5
-8 bolters
-melta gun
-plasma cannon

Squad 6
-10 bolters

Squad 7
-7 bolt pistols & chainswords
-2 flamer & chainsword
-sgt w/ bolt pistol & power axe

Squad 8
-5 bolt pistols & chainswords

Squad 9
-5 bolters
-4 missile launchers
-sgt w/ lightning claw & plasma pistol

Squad 10
-5 bolters
-4 lascannons
-sgt w/ powerfist & plasma pistol

1 Vindicator
-------------------------------------

Notes:
Librarian is from Dark Vengeance
Squad 1 is from Dark Vengeance
Squad 2 has its own missile trooper that can be rotated in as needed
Squad 9 has 2 heavy bolters in addition to its missile launchers
I have a random "spare" bolter marine that can be rotated into a squad as needed

I am planning to add a company command, as well as the remaining half of Squad 8, in the near(ish) future.

I do have (had?) other DA models, but as I cannot seem to find them right now, I am not listing them among my assets.

Look forward to hearing everyone's insight.

Thanks.

gallery_29004_10383_3565.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_6489.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_328.pnggallery_29004_6198_6366.pngsml_gallery_29004_6198_6363.png

+ Thought begets heresy. Heresy begets retribution. +
Elite.gif

Unlikely Allies [Call of Chaos VIII WIP]

Lorgar's Tribute to Nurgle [Call of Chaos VII WIP]

Blood for the Blood God! [ETL IV Work in Progress]

ETL IV Gallery

Paulochromis

Paulochromis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,545 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines, Carcharodons

Have you looked at how Detachments work?

Obviously, you have enough for a bloated Battalion, but suspect you'll want access to more Command Points (CPs).

For that you'll need 2 more HQs for a double battalion (combat squadding the 7th through 10th squads).

Or a single additional HQ plus 3 Elites (combat squadding the 7th and 9th squads) to get a Brigade.

Good luck with the non-Ork Green Tide.

War will never cease until babies begin to come into the world with larger cerebrums and smaller adrenal glands. -H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)
It's not the genius who is 100 years ahead of his time but average man who is 100 years behind it. -Robert Musil (1880-1942)
People of small caliber like to sit on high horses. -Magdalena Samozwaniec (1894-1972)

2013 LPC

ChaosRising

ChaosRising

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 315 posts
I've peeked at Detachments, yes. Would probably lean towards Brigade for thematic reasons.

Also, my MIA forces have reappeared. See below.

++ Deathwing ++

Command Squad
-Sgt w/ power sword & storm bolter
-Company Champion w/ Halberd of Caliban
-Company banner, power fist & storm bolter
-Apothecary w/ storm bolter
-Cyclone Missile Launcher, power fist & storm bolter

Squad 1
-Power fist & assault cannon
-2 powerfists & storm bolters
-Chainfist & storm bolter

Squad 2
-Power fist & assault cannon
-2 power fists & storm bolters
-Chainfist & storm bolter

Squad 3
-Sgt w/ Thunder hammer & Storm shield
-Thunder hammer & Storm shield
-2 pair of Lightning Claws
-Power fist & heavy flamer

++ Ravenwing ++
Ravenwing Bike Squad
-Sgt w/ chainsword
-Biker w/ bolt pistol
-Biker w/ plasma gun
-All bikes have twin-linked bolters

Nephilim Jetfighter
-Twin-linked lascannon

++ 3rd Company ++
Dreadnought
-Power fist w/ underslung flamer
-Assault cannon

Chaplain / Interrogator Chaplain
-Terminator armor, storm bolter

Edited by ChaosRising, 05 December 2018 - 05:23 PM.

gallery_29004_10383_3565.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_6489.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_328.pnggallery_29004_6198_6366.pngsml_gallery_29004_6198_6363.png

+ Thought begets heresy. Heresy begets retribution. +
Elite.gif

Unlikely Allies [Call of Chaos VIII WIP]

Lorgar's Tribute to Nurgle [Call of Chaos VII WIP]

Blood for the Blood God! [ETL IV Work in Progress]

ETL IV Gallery

Grand Master Raziel

Grand Master Raziel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 666 posts
  • Faction: Night Angels

Gunning for a brigade, huh? You could probably squeeze one into 2000pts with what you've got. You'll have to keep most of your categories fairly cheap in order to use the Elites you've got. 

My initial thought is to take the 2 plasma cannons and group them in a 5-man Dev squad. Group the lascannons in a similar fashion. Spread the missile launchers and the HB into 5-man Tac Squads. Ditch the melta weapons. In this edition, they are not very good.

Take all the guys you have with plasma guns and plasma pistols. Group them into a Company Vets squad. The reason for doing so is to give yourself a good unit to use Weapons of the Dark Age on. The Dev Squad with 2 plasma cannons is a another potential recipient of that strat.

Make your Fast Attack your Ravenwing Bike Squadron and Assault Squads with your flamers. The Assault Squads are basically the screen for the rest of your force. The Ravenwing squad is for objective-grabbing.

Your HQs as you have them. Can't really do that much with them. You might field the Master as a Lieutenant to have him hang around your Dev Squads and give them a bonus on their to-wound rolls. They're not going to be moving much, so Grim Resolve gives them the same bonus a Master would.

From there, if you can squeeze in a 10-man DWT squad, that maxes out your return on Deathwing Assault. If you do that, definitely also field the DW Ancient (The DW banner bearer). He gives nearby DW units +1 attack in CC, which combined with the rerolls in assault granted by the Interrogator Chaplain is brutal. If you're just using the 1 DWT squad, consider giving it 3 guys with hammer+shield. It dilutes their firepower, but gives them access to the Fortress of Shields strat.

The DWT Squad, the proposed Company Vets squad, and the DW Ancient would be your mandatory 3 Elites for your brigade. You could have more if you can afford them, or possibly include the Nephilim. I dunno, you'll have to run the numbers on that. Unfortunately, nothing Space Marine that's good is cheap, and nothing cheap is good. Hopefully CA 2018 will be kind to us.

BHoA_2014_Banner_Artificer.jpg

Profile of the Night Angels

Check out my 40K blog: Crafting Cave Games

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users