BT Primaris/truescale/artscale Heros and Special characters

Canadian_F_H

Unfortunately I have to start this with a warning these days, but here goes.

This topic is NOT for complaints about primaris. It is not for any discussion of the fluff of primaris. Nor is it for their rules, merits or detractions.

This topic, should you choose to participate, and I hope many do, is explicitly for modeling of our heros, characters, special characters etc such that the model is of "primaris" or "true scale" or "art scale".

It doesn't matter if you base the model on any existing primaris models. Or if you chose to "cross the rubicon" with a model from the classic line of astartes using any method.

Known methods of true/art scaling have been things like using terminator parts, inserting sections of plasticised, full on sculpting of new parts. Reposing tricks that often help etc.

I hope to see lots of glorious Black Templars that stand head and shoulders over the mortals of the imperial guard and they have always done in the fluff and should always have done in the models.

Hopefully this gives us some fun goals and inspires others to create their own.

"The Crusade is Eternal"

I'm going to say that if you haven't already seen his work you should check out masteroftheforge.com and Simon's work. His goal is to artscale his army or to create appropriately awesome conversions for lackluster models. I used his centurion guide to make my Assault Centurions feel really imposing. He's also got very detailed tutorials on his conversions and has done terminators and power armored Marines as well. Forewarning, he is a very talented sculptor so achieving his results will take some time, but I managed to succeed with his centurion tutorial and I don't have very good conversion skills yet. When I get home, I'll post a picture of my Centurions among normal scale marines for a good comparison.

In the vein of seeking help from our fellow crusaders, has anyone had luck with a convincing way to bulk out terminators, particularly the assault variant, and make them just feel menacing and brutal? I want to make a titanhammer formation of sword brethren but want them to live up to the name of that formation.

Cheers on the thread Canadian, I think this is going to be fun!

I used  deathwing termie legs. Didn't do a lot of cleanup aside from the tabard; as the idea of a jumppack- equipped Templar seemed to lend itself to armoured-front, less-rear. Plus the tabard helped cover the slightly awkward waist lineup for a first effort. The wider leg armour appears to be fitting visually to the Astartes aesthetic, and he stands *just* shorter than a Primaris Lieutenant with a helmet on an identical base.

20181121 192004~2

20181121 191925~2

20181101 210347 (1)

My favorite way to to true scale black Templars is to use warriors of chaos legs. Leave the boots on and everything. The old line is fine but it's pretty static. But the new line is really fantastic. Here's an example...

https://imgur.com/nPP5qaq

This looks fantastic! I'll have to remember this in the future

How quickly people forget: 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/90388-modelling-doghouse-pattern-gothic-marines/

Here are those pictures I promised of the Centurions, which I really like because it keeps them from being as stumpy as they are originally without making them appear lanky. Best part is you don't need to buy extra bits if you are making the devastator variant as you are using parts from the assault drill bits, so this is a relatively self contained conversion.

That silver bit below the marines boot is the major addition to the centurions height and a few other small shavings are done in and around where the should pads attach to tighten up the top of the model. 

LvZlqP1.jpg

The rest of the bits are from our upgrade sprue and I kept the armor plating for the top of the legs there to really help bulk them out. 

nKM2BYn.jpg

Last picture to show height against some of our more commonly fielded choices.

5dQ05E0.jpg

Well, if we're talking about True-scale marines, I'm currently in the process of making a True-scale Black Templar for an Ordo Hereticus Warband for Inq28

IOUJkh6.jpg

The idea is that, he's not QUITE an Emperor's Champion, but is the sole survivor of his squad and received a vision after having his wounds tended to by the Inquisitor's medicae, and requested a secondment to the Inquisitor's group (that and he also feels like he owes a debt to the Inquisitor, and has a bit of survivor's guilt since he's the reason why his squad was killed). Essentially, he's basically Emperor's Champion, but hasn't had the official vision. He's gotten a very well-crafted sword, and his armour's been finely upgraded and modified by the Inquisitor's acolytes.

Still need to do a surcoat (it's not a tabard, no Black Templar has ever been depicted in a tabard....) in greenstuff. Which will take a while :laugh.:

Also for anyone wanting to do a Primaris Emperor's Champion, or a Black Templar with a hand-and-a-half sword or a two-hander, the Sisters of Silence Vigilator executioner greatblades are PERFECT for this, as they're properly sized and don't look too large or small for the size of a Primaris-sized Marine. Of the Sisters of Silence Vigilators, you get three swords that are good for a Marine, as two either have a hand on them (Sister Superior) or a very notable dent in the quillions to fit against the Sister's shoulderpad.

Here are those pictures I promised of the Centurions, which I really like because it keeps them from being as stumpy as they are originally without making them appear lanky. Best part is you don't need to buy extra bits if you are making the devastator variant as you are using parts from the assault drill bits, so this is a relatively self contained conversion.

That silver bit below the marines boot is the major addition to the centurions height and a few other small shavings are done in and around where the should pads attach to tighten up the top of the model.

LvZlqP1.jpg

Your Centurions have human proportions; they don't look like the "fat babies" that 4chan likes to mock. I'm impressed with your work.

My favorite way to to true scale black Templars is to use warriors of chaos legs. Leave the boots on and everything. The old line is fine but it's pretty static. But the new line is really fantastic. Here's an example...

https://imgur.com/nPP5qaq

This looks fantastic! I'll have to remember this in the future

How quickly people forget:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/90388-modelling-doghouse-pattern-gothic-marines/

I love that look. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to do all that work haha. These were the ones that inspired me, but I don't remember who made them any more

https://i.imgur.com/GyoSMVfr.jpg

Thanks, it's the one from the MK VII Dark Angel marine upgrade sprue. It's really ornate looking and so looks perfect for Templars I think. 

With three tactical squads and a Marshal I think I am a Chaplain away from having a brigade built at the moment, then I will finish painting them properly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just added a couple pictures of an apothecary to my WIP. Honestly this model looks fairly templar to begin with because of the tabard. So less is more, I just gave him a BT pauldron and moved on.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/305544-cfh-acadian-crusade-wip-plog/page-3?do=findComment&comment=5214690

ilT6qetA_o.pngipqUcrEs_o.png

I think he's my favourite of the Primaris Characters. Can't wait for mine in Conquest. He would be a good conversion base for any BT character as well.

For those lamenting the galling lack of a primaris techmarine! (seriously tho, a dozen lieutenants and no techmarine?)

I saw an excellent conversion of the apothecary into a techmarine on the GW site no less... If anyone else wants to build a primaris techmarine and is looking for a good place to start...

10xFIrVi_o.png

Archived