[WIP] Dark Mechanicum - The Silence below

Dreagher

Thanks for the extra view of the Mistress, the cables really lend to the aquatic, more sinister organic nature of the force.

I like the spines on the Thallax, though I think the webbed spines that Vykes mentioned could be a good idea to tie in the aquatic theme a bit more; these three don't seem as much a part of it as the Vorax, say.

And that archmistress is a fantastic one, great base and perfectly dynamic pose. It's looking great,mate! 

That means a lot comming from you!  Finding the base model was a real piece of luck.

I'd say that the one on the left could have it's first spine shortened a tad like its compatriot. Otherwise it's looking sweet!

Thanks! I have to agree with you, so I shortend it a bit (it only broke of once).

Thanks for the extra view of the Mistress, the cables really lend to the aquatic, more sinister organic nature of the force.

I like the spines on the Thallax, though I think the webbed spines that Vykes mentioned could be a good idea to tie in the aquatic theme a bit more; these three don't seem as much a part of it as the Vorax, say.

Thanks! With you beeing the third person to mention that, I will give it a try to see how it would look!

If you have any other ideas/C&C, they are always welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, that took longer than expected, but here are another 10 Thralls to gloriously stand in the way of things and die horribly.

med_gallery_94103_13007_1862825.jpg

I originally wanted to vow them for the L&T, but forgot so take a before picture, so that didn't happen.

Now I'm going to try an sculpture prawn legs on a vulturax. (and most likely faily :rolleyes:)

The Vulturax is coming on nicely, it's a model that suits the theme of your army well, perhaps an extra pair of legs would fit on?

I thought about more legs, but I don't really know where to put them without interfering with the flight-stand. I fear they might accidentally break of during assembly.

Where would you put them?

The Vulturax is coming on nicely, it's a model that suits the theme of your army well, perhaps an extra pair of legs would fit on?

I thought about more legs, but I don't really know where to put them without interfering with the flight-stand. I fear they might accidentally break of during assembly.

Where would you put them?

That's a good point regarding the stand, I imagine that they are inherently quite fragile too. Is there room to place another set next to the current, or would that mess up the spacing? Alternatively, somewhere near the front end of the engines at the back, as it looks a bit bare up there, with all the weight focussed down at the front.

That's a good point regarding the stand, I imagine that they are inherently quite fragile too. Is there room to place another set next to the current, or would that mess up the spacing? Alternatively, somewhere near the front end of the engines at the back, as it looks a bit bare up there, with all the weight focussed down at the front.

The way they are placed currently only leaves place for the three pairs. There would be the possibility for a fourth pair at the front at the height of the gun mount, but as you said, that would add to the front heavieness. I will try out the second idea and see how it would look. Thanks for the C&C!

After a lot of trying, adding more legs didn't work. Appart from the danger of breaking of, the metal core of them also means that they get bent towards the magnet, that connects the model with its base. I gues I'll have to life with its front heavieness.

The next modell is a Triaros with just a few added bits. The plan is to have it as a transport for some yet unbuild hoplites.

med_gallery_94103_13007_581080.jpg

As I'm still unsure which army (either them or some gsc) I should work on for this years ETL, I don't paint very much at the moment and focus on building. The next model will be a magos dominus, that as you can probably guess will be in no way inspired by Bioshock.

dreagher, my dude, the Vulturax Doom Shrimp and Bio-magos are absolutely stellar.  Like, seriously rocking the aesthetic and man am I super jealous of it.  Don't got a ton to add, but for the webbed spines: I think the only way I can think of doing it would be ... gah, there's an article about making cloaks out of tissue in the works section I'll see if I can find.  Aaaanyway, it would be to set the spikes in the way you want, then layer on some damp pvc tissue that's been cut into the web shapes to wrap around those spines. then PVC after its dried to make it solid, then prime and paint. 

I can't wait to see these done up, I really gotta look at doing a creative project some time and your aquatics for Kymerius is a massive inspiration, man!  

dreagher, my dude, the Vulturax Doom Shrimp and Bio-magos are absolutely stellar. Like, seriously rocking the aesthetic and man am I super jealous of it. Don't got a ton to add, but for the webbed spines: I think the only way I can think of doing it would be ... gah, there's an article about making cloaks out of tissue in the works section I'll see if I can find. Aaaanyway, it would be to set the spikes in the way you want, then layer on some damp pvc tissue that's been cut into the web shapes to wrap around those spines. then PVC after its dried to make it solid, then prime and paint.

I can't wait to see these done up, I really gotta look at doing a creative project some time and your aquatics for Kymerius is a massive inspiration, man!

That is quite the compliment from you Vykes, considering I still envy your painting abilities. I will give it a try, but considering how much "fun" the last tries where, it will presumably be the last thing I do before I call the army complete. While I think about it, lets better say, before I finish my current plans, one can always add more.

Well, I'm eager to see what you will do, if you start!

Due to the weather keeping me inside and my lack of imagination in how to convert myrmidon destructors into something fitting (the models are just way to detailed for anything other than more tentacles), I tried a bit of scratchbuilding for a count as macrocarid explorator. I don't have any showable pictures at the moment, but it already has a pilot.

sml_gallery_94103_13007_12851.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Love the pilot, very creepy and twisted, just as the Mechanicum should be!

Thanks! I'm trying to keep that up with the ursurax that I'm currently working on.

Currently I have just a not creepy secutarii hoplite to show. :wink: I'm unsure about adding some rebreather gear to his helmet, what would you guys think?

Beren

• Like 1

Wow.. this is one of the most unsettling looking blogs I have seen - and definitely some of the best Dark Mechanicum!

I actually find them more creepy than the standard daemons even. Love the look of the Thralls, they have a definite 'dark borg' kind of look to them!

And the pilot - would like to see his story!

Brilliant - can't wait to see more. 

That's such a cool idea :biggrin.:

Thanks!

Wow.. this is one of the most unsettling looking blogs I have seen - and definitely some of the best Dark Mechanicum!

I actually find them more creepy than the standard daemons even. Love the look of the Thralls, they have a definite 'dark borg' kind of look to them!

And the pilot - would like to see his story!

Brilliant - can't wait to see more.

That is a big compliment! I'll try to keep up to that standard.

Well, now I have to write his story. Originally I just had the model lying around and didn't know what to do with it.

The story about how he ended up in there might take some time, as I'm really slow at writing stories. What I do have until then is the current WIP of his vessel.

med_gallery_94103_13007_902201.jpg

The base model is a SW Stormwolf, with a bunch of plasticard around it. It currently looks a bit plain, but I really don't what I could add for more details. At the right end will be the cockpit. For painting purposes it is still a seperate piece, that I will add later

In preparation for the ETL, I got most of the work done on my Ursurax. With that, I only need to build a third magos, a dominus and some myrmidon destructors, for my planed list.

Ursurax WIP

sml_gallery_94103_13007_205085.jpg

sml_gallery_94103_13007_244650.jpg

sml_gallery_94103_13007_66481.jpg

Appart from that I'm still not sure what I should add to my macrocariod, as it's a bit plain. Does anyone of you have any ideas?

Those Ursurax look absolutely amazing!

In regards to the Macrocariod:

.An Opus Machina Symbol?

.Barnacles?

.Greenstuffing the edges of the central 'box' to look like the upturned portions of a crab's shell?

Thanks!

I will try those ideas and post the result.

Until then, I got some work done on my Myrmidons. Seeing as the normal model is already pretty busy and looks awesome, I just added a few minor details (and replaced several tendrils after I broke them by accident).

med_gallery_94103_13007_1425749.jpg