Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Black Library Advent Calendar 2018

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,560 posts

It has begun, folks!

Day 1: Old Wounds, New Scars by Graham McNeill - Horus Heresy

Cover:

Spoiler

Synopsis:

Travelling through the warp to Terra, the Perpetual Alivia Sureka faces the shadows of her past and contemplates the horrors to come when she reaches the Throneworld.

As the Imperium prepares for the final great battle of the Horus Heresy, all sorts of heroes make the perilous journey to Terra, some to defend the Throneworld and some to cast it down. Among them is Alivia Sureka, a mysterious Perpetual who turned her back on the world long ago. Called back to the planet of her birth, guided by some force she barely understands, and plagued by memories of her long life and premonitions of the horrors to come, she must guide the ship on which she travels safely into the Solar system – for more than just the lives of those on board depend on it…

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And since BL's webdesigners are dunces again, and Audible spoiled the audio dramas.... the following days, spoilered:

Spoiler

Edited by DarkChaplain, 01 December 2018 - 11:31 AM.

• Tymell, Kelborn and Taliesin like this

A D-B

A D-B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,474 posts

I'm on Christmas Eve? Hot damn!

• Black Orange, Triszin, DarKnight and 5 others like this
Note: Everything I say is my own personal opinion as hobbyist, a novelist, and the world's slowest painter. It's not intended to reflect back on Games Workshop in any professional context.

Blog - Facebook - Twitter

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,560 posts

So this means we'll have NO stories from Sons of the Emperor included, despite speculation, but all but one from the Events Anthology (the missing one being AoS's Shiprats, which is part of the Sacrosanct & Other Stories anthology. Strangely, so is A Dirge of Dust and Steel, which they included anyway...)

@AD-B

Congrats on that, I, too, was excited just going through the list and ending up with you at the climax. The title is fantastic (and seems to relate directly to Laurie's story from Sons of the Emperor), so I'm looking forward to that!

Edited by DarkChaplain, 01 December 2018 - 11:35 AM.

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,329 posts
  • Faction: BotL: XXth Legion - Predators

Hm...last one gives me hope for some Blood Angels stuff by Aaron.

Ninja'd by the guy himself.

@Aaron: Are you going to give us lil' Sanguinius under the Christmas Tree? Maybe the BAs arriving on Terra?

• DarKnight likes this
tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_193556.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_86064.png

Brotherhood of the Lost: XXth Legiones Astartes, the Predators http://www.bolterand...-the-predators/
Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

LordValrak

LordValrak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,269 posts

Hoping for an Imperial Fist/Dorn Successor one biggrin.png

Edit: Just saw the list, kinda let down that Sigmar got all the love for the audio stuff, Necromunda is cool but I want to Space Marine stuff.

Edited by LordValrak, 01 December 2018 - 12:10 PM.

• JH79 and sfPanzer like this

Mt7WQJG.png

-----------
Youtube - Twitch - Discord - Twitter - Steam Warhammer Group

-----------

My WIP Executioners Chapter  happy.png

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,317 posts
Eh think I'm skipping them all...
  • Black Orange likes this

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts

looks to be some good ones in there. 

Necromunda ones may be a fun read too though i've never read or played the stuff before

this first one though; has this perpetual being in something else? i don't recall seeing her so far, though i have missed one or two books/stories 

Edited by Carach, 01 December 2018 - 02:45 PM.

LordOfIron

LordOfIron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7 posts

Necromunda ones may be a fun read too though i've never read or played the stuff before

this first one though; has this perpetual being in something else? i don't recall seeing her so far, though i have missed one or two books/stories 

She was in Vengeful Spirit and Wolf Mother. She was hanging around with Severian when we last saw her trying to save her adopted daughter. I really liked that story so happy to see its getting a follow up. 

• Tymell likes this

LordOfIron

LordOfIron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7 posts
Okay just finished the short. It's nice, not much happens but those who like the perpetual plot will get some more questions raised. Very much feels like a story to explain getting characters from A to B ready for the big showdown we know is coming. But yeah not bad, little disposable but I like Alivia and her arc so happy to see her take some steps forward and not be forgotten.
  • Felix Antipodes and DarkChaplain like this

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 346 posts
Day 4 will be my first purchase.

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 829 posts

There's a fair few from that list that I would like to read.

The upper tier of wants:

• Day 24: A Rose Watered With Blood by Aaron Dembski-Bowden - Horus Heresy ( What could this be about?)
  • Day 4: Man of Iron by Guy Haley - Blackstone Fortress
  • Day 12: The Last Council by L J Goulding - Horus Heresy, Siege of Terra Prequel ( should be good)

Second tier, interested:

• Day 8: The Son of Sorrows by John French - The Horusian Wars( Koleg is a fun character from those books)
  • Day 1: Old Wounds, New Scars by Graham McNeill - Horus Heresy

• Kelborn and DukeLeto69 like this

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,560 posts

Just for the record: The taglines for the Horus Heresy shorts give the premise away, but I figured I'd rather not spoil them ahead of time. Gotta keep some of the surprise, eh?

• LordOfIron likes this

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts

She was in Vengeful Spirit and Wolf Mother. She was hanging around with Severian when we last saw her trying to save her adopted daughter. I really liked that story so happy to see its getting a follow up.

Yea just started the story and realised. Ive read/got both stories so i should of remembered heh

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 346 posts
Just finished Man of Iron. Decent enough with a couple of single line mystery threads to get us talking.

Was a pleasant way to spend my commute this morning!

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 868 posts

I'm on Christmas Eve? Hot damn!

http://youtu.be/yOQk_pWmisA?t=22

You're my present this year.

Edited by N1SB, 05 December 2018 - 11:41 AM.

gallery_57329_13636_22281.jpg

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts

Just finished Man of Iron. Decent enough with a couple of single line mystery threads to get us talking.

Was a pleasant way to spend my commute this morning!

Spoiler

• Burni likes this

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 829 posts

Just for the record: The taglines for the Horus Heresy shorts give the premise away, but I figured I'd rather not spoil them ahead of time. Gotta keep some of the surprise, eh?

I'd still like to to know the tagline for ADB's short.

TheRealMcCagh

TheRealMcCagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 315 posts

Spoiler

• Felix Antipodes, Xin Ceithan, Carach and 3 others like this

Never_born

Never_born

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 111 posts

Hi folks, been a while since I posted on here. Just thought I'd drop in to say that I'm doing my usual one-a-day reviews of the Advent Calendar stories over on Track of Words, and if anyone fancies taking a look I'm linking out to each of them from this post:

https://www.trackofw...-calendar-2018/

I don't want to spam you guys with daily links, so I figure I'll just leave this here and anyone who's interested in the reviews can follow the link and see what's what.

So far I'd say that I've enjoyed all of the stories and found something interesting in each one, but Rachel Harrison's Fire and Fury has been the standout for me - I REALLY love her Commissar Raine stories, and each new one is something to be savoured. Can't wait for the novel in Feb!

Cheers,

NB.

• Felix Antipodes, DarkChaplain and mr.crusader like this

Xin Ceithan

Xin Ceithan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,265 posts
  • Faction: The Obsidian Coil, XXth Legio

Spoiler

Finally a Christmas story I can relate too :)
<p>Call_of_Chaos_7_Banner_01c.jpg;<p>Call_of_Chaos_9_Banner_01b.jpg

A D-B

A D-B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,474 posts

• Day 24: A Rose Watered With Blood by Aaron Dembski-Bowden - Horus Heresy ( What could this be about?)

It's about

Spoiler

• Noserenda, Marshal Loss, RapatoR and 1 other like this
Note: Everything I say is my own personal opinion as hobbyist, a novelist, and the world's slowest painter. It's not intended to reflect back on Games Workshop in any professional context.

Blog - Facebook - Twitter

betrayer41

betrayer41

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,456 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

It's about

Spoiler

OHHHHH man i hope this is true she is easily one of my Favoirte HH characters

Punishing Pete

Punishing Pete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 492 posts

<p>

It's about
Spoiler

Oooo didn’t see that coming! Interesting, good choice for a side story!

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts

i have been waiting for her to turn up again. 

i have also been waiting to see what happened to the lady fighter pilot that was mates with our beloved Sevatar 

RapatoR

RapatoR

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 623 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion

It's about
Spoiler

Man you want to break the BL servers again, don't you? :)
"Hydra might have many heads, but it has always one tail..."

Hydra's tail, Alpha legion penal warband.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users