Black Library Advent Calendar 2018

DarkChaplain

It has begun, folks!

Day 1: Old Wounds, New Scars by Graham McNeill - Horus Heresy

Cover:

BLPROCESSED-Old-Wounds-New-Scars-Cover.j

Synopsis:

Travelling through the warp to Terra, the Perpetual Alivia Sureka faces the shadows of her past and contemplates the horrors to come when she reaches the Throneworld.

As the Imperium prepares for the final great battle of the Horus Heresy, all sorts of heroes make the perilous journey to Terra, some to defend the Throneworld and some to cast it down. Among them is Alivia Sureka, a mysterious Perpetual who turned her back on the world long ago. Called back to the planet of her birth, guided by some force she barely understands, and plagued by memories of her long life and premonitions of the horrors to come, she must guide the ship on which she travels safely into the Solar system – for more than just the lives of those on board depend on it…

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And since BL's webdesigners are dunces again, and Audible spoiled the audio dramas.... the following days, spoilered:

Day 2: Blood Gold by Gav Thorpe - Age of Sigmar

Day 3: Fire and Thunder by Rachel Harrison - Astra Militarum

Day 4: Man of Iron by Guy Haley - Blackstone Fortress

Day 5: The Deeper Shade by C.L. Werner - Age of Sigmar

Day 6: Abyssal by David Annandale - Horus Heresy

Day 7: Acts of Sacrifice by Evan Dicken - Age of Sigmar

Day 8: The Son of Sorrows by John French - The Horusian Wars(from the BL Events Anthology 2017/18)

Day 9: A Lesson in Iron by David Guymer - Horus Heresy: Primarchs (from the BL Events Anthology 2017/18)

Day 10: A Dirge of Dust and Steel by Josh Reynolds - Age of Sigmar, Hallowed Knights (from the BL Events Anthology 2017/18)

Day 11: The Deserter by Justin D. Hill - Necromunda, Audio Drama, Audible link

Day 12: The Last Council by L J Goulding - Horus Heresy, Siege of Terra Prequel

Day 13: Motherlode by Nick Kyme - Blackstone Fortress

Day 14: One, Untended by David Guymer - Age of Sigmar, Gotrek Gurnisson

Day 15: The Battle of Blackthunder Mesa by Phil Kelly - Farsight (from the BL Events Anthology 2017/18)

Day 16: The Atonement of Fire by David Annandale - Horus Heresy: Primarchs (from the BL Events Anthology 2017/18)

Day 17: The Palace of Memory by David Guymer - Age of Sigmar, Audio Drama, Hamilcar/Shadespire, Audible link

Day 18: Expectatio by Matt Keefe - Necromunda, Audio Drama, Audible link

Day 19: Black Atonement by David Annandale - Age of Sigmar, Neferata, Audio Drama, Audible link

Day 20: Purity is a Lie by Gav Thorpe - Blackstone Fortress

Day 21: Hungerfiend by Guy Haley - Age of Sigmar, Prince Maesa, Audio Drama, Audible link

Day 22: Sand Lords by Peter McLean - Astra Militarum, Tallarn

Day 23: Half-Horn by Josh Reynolds - Necromunda, Audio Drama, Audible link

Day 24: A Rose Watered With Blood by Aaron Dembski-Bowden - Horus Heresy

So this means we'll have NO stories from Sons of the Emperor included, despite speculation, but all but one from the Events Anthology (the missing one being AoS's Shiprats, which is part of the Sacrosanct & Other Stories anthology. Strangely, so is A Dirge of Dust and Steel, which they included anyway...)

@AD-B

Congrats on that, I, too, was excited just going through the list and ending up with you at the climax. The title is fantastic (and seems to relate directly to Laurie's story from Sons of the Emperor), so I'm looking forward to that!

Hm...last one gives me hope for some Blood Angels stuff by Aaron.

Ninja'd by the guy himself.

@Aaron: Are you going to give us lil' Sanguinius under the Christmas Tree? Maybe the BAs arriving on Terra?

looks to be some good ones in there. 

Necromunda ones may be a fun read too though i've never read or played the stuff before

this first one though; has this perpetual being in something else? i don't recall seeing her so far, though i have missed one or two books/stories 

Necromunda ones may be a fun read too though i've never read or played the stuff before

this first one though; has this perpetual being in something else? i don't recall seeing her so far, though i have missed one or two books/stories 

She was in Vengeful Spirit and Wolf Mother. She was hanging around with Severian when we last saw her trying to save her adopted daughter. I really liked that story so happy to see its getting a follow up. 

Okay just finished the short. It's nice, not much happens but those who like the perpetual plot will get some more questions raised. Very much feels like a story to explain getting characters from A to B ready for the big showdown we know is coming. But yeah not bad, little disposable but I like Alivia and her arc so happy to see her take some steps forward and not be forgotten.

There's a fair few from that list that I would like to read.

The upper tier of wants:

• Day 24: A Rose Watered With Blood by Aaron Dembski-Bowden - Horus Heresy ( What could this be about?)
  • Day 4: Man of Iron by Guy Haley - Blackstone Fortress
  • Day 12: The Last Council by L J Goulding - Horus Heresy, Siege of Terra Prequel ( should be good)

Second tier, interested:

• Day 8: The Son of Sorrows by John French - The Horusian Wars( Koleg is a fun character from those books)
  • Day 1: Old Wounds, New Scars by Graham McNeill - Horus Heresy

She was in Vengeful Spirit and Wolf Mother. She was hanging around with Severian when we last saw her trying to save her adopted daughter. I really liked that story so happy to see its getting a follow up.

Yea just started the story and realised. Ive read/got both stories so i should of remembered heh

Just for the record: The taglines for the Horus Heresy shorts give the premise away, but I figured I'd rather not spoil them ahead of time. Gotta keep some of the surprise, eh?

I'd still like to to know the tagline for ADB's short.

Having escaped from his prison, Konrad Curze takes up gardening. He still struggles with the concept

Hi folks, been a while since I posted on here. Just thought I'd drop in to say that I'm doing my usual one-a-day reviews of the Advent Calendar stories over on Track of Words, and if anyone fancies taking a look I'm linking out to each of them from this post:

https://www.trackofwords.com/2018/12/01/black-library-advent-calendar-2018/

I don't want to spam you guys with daily links, so I figure I'll just leave this here and anyone who's interested in the reviews can follow the link and see what's what.

So far I'd say that I've enjoyed all of the stories and found something interesting in each one, but Rachel Harrison's Fire and Fury has been the standout for me - I REALLY love her Commissar Raine stories, and each new one is something to be savoured. Can't wait for the novel in Feb!

Cheers,

NB.

Just for the record: The taglines for the Horus Heresy shorts give the premise away, but I figured I'd rather not spoil them ahead of time. Gotta keep some of the surprise, eh?

I'd still like to to know the tagline for ADB's short.

Having escaped from his prison, Konrad Curze takes up gardening. He still struggles with the concept

Finally a Christmas story I can relate too :)

• Day 24: A Rose Watered With Blood by Aaron Dembski-Bowden - Horus Heresy ( What could this be about?)

It's about

Lotara Sarrin

OHHHHH man i hope this is true she is easily one of my Favoirte HH characters

It's about

Lotara Sarrin

Man you want to break the BL servers again, don't you? :)

Archived