Choosing Your Army

Well. It's a WIP that I've barely made headway with but I am working on Word Bearers and Iron Warriors.

Because both are the "evil counterpart" to my loyalist marines.

Word bearers are the zealous Crusaders in the name of the dark gods vs the Black Templars who are the zealous Crusaders in the name of the Imperial Truth (yes I know what that means)

Iron warriors have their bitter rivalry with the imperial fists.

Well that's easy ... sex, drugs and rock&roll. :D

That being said I'd probably do a custom slaaneshi warband but I want the EC boons, namely Noise Marine troops and sonic dreads.

It was just a few weeks after 8th edition's release, when I basically looked at:

- where the 8th ed lore was going (the Konor Campaign, Dark Imperium, etc.), because plot is now moving forward

- where the game/meta was headed, like it's a new ed, so people were constantly adjusting their armies at the time

Then I considered some concepts where those 2 things intersected.  I threw out about a dozen good ideas before I ended up with a Nurgle-themed army that reflected how Loyalists can be corrupted due to no fault of their own (in my case, via disease).  It was basically what I thought was the best combo of lore with gameplay at the time.

If I had to do it again, I'd watch very closely what happens with the upcoming Vigilus Campaign and Chapter Approved, to again look for what stands out in both the lore and the tabletop.  Currently Black Legion is taking certain stage, but it might not be just them.

My Death Guard army is in honor of my father.

In 2011, he went into the DC Veterans Hospital for an abdominal hernia repair. He never left the hospital. After 27 botched surgeries, he went septic in june 2012, and died 2 months later in August.

In the time since, I've been dealing with Major Depressive Disorder, extreme Social Anxiety Disorder, and PTSD. In 2015 I ended up with Shingles, which in turn led to Bell's Palsy and the loss of use of the left side of my face for 11 months. In 2016, I spent 5 days in the hospital with Pneumonia, 3 of which were in the ICU. December 22, 2017 my mother was diagnosed with cancer, and had to have a pacemaker installed before she could have the cancer removed. Most of my Death Guard army is in no small part thanks to some surprise Christmas presents last year. I've been slowly working on the army over the last 12 months, though that has slowed down due to a torn meniscus in my right knee, having several teeth surgically extracted, and the deaths of two uncles...

It also helped that they were new plastic kits. I dont have everything I want for the army yet sadly, as I was denied SSI disability again this year (4th in a row), and it looks like we wont be having christmas this year.

With everything going on, Death Guard seemed ironic and appropriate. 

Honestly, I was torn between several.  I'd really like to do Iron Warriors as they are my favorite legion (hell, I wrote a poem about the legion that popped into my mind one day, and I have the "Unbreakable Litany" memorized) but the game prevents me from having fun with Chaos due to the way the meta currently is.  Death Guard was one of the other choices I liked as they had a cool story, and when the new model range came out I thought they looked really cool so jumped on it.

Well....

- Death Guard: Because it was the easiest way for me to get into 40k (bunch of people at my FLGS got the Dark Imperium starter set, not many kept the Death Guard half)

- World Eaters: I have a habit of playing the angry guy with a big axe

- Emperor's Children: I'm a metalhead, and their style is so hilarious I had to make a small force of Noise Marines and Lucius.

World Eaters: I love everything about Khorne, and I've always been a fan of the raging berserker. 

Daemons of Khorne: Manifesting the blood god in realspace. Purity, really.

Traitor Guard (of Khorne): Super cool models, and a representation of "normal" humans fighting against the Imperium and filthy xenos alike.

For me: 

Thousand Sons: My first love of Warhammer, basically an army of psychic college professors.  Tizca the city of light being the equivalent of a giant planet-sized college. The rather maudlin sense of melancholy they suffer due to their loss, I think everyone can find something extremely human about feeling as if you have no control over your own fate. This combined with my personal focus on academia, knowledge for the sake of knowledge, and focusing on degrees really lent itself well to my own passion for both the esoteric and the scientific (I am a glorious thing of contradictions) 

Black Legion: The main character of the novels is a former Thousand Son so that interested me, but among the 1k sons he is the epitome of an outcast. He certainly was what drew me in, but the depiction of the brotherhood of the Black Legion and Abbadons vision kept me interested so as of last year I began a black legion army and am ready to expand it when Vigilus is out and we get our new plastic kits. 

Genestealer cult: Though not chaos I like them for the mixture of comedy and horror involved in their army, its a "melee guard" army as I always liked the idea of a melee-centric guardsman army and the stealer cult scratch that itch. (not chaos but apt) *also my only non-power armor based army* 

I chose Emperor's Children for several reasons. In order of most to least important, it'd look like this:

1. I read their lore an immediately loved them. They murder, steal, maim, torture, pillage, and turn on their own allies (Angel Exterminatus) and somehow, they always get away with it. They have some of the most hilariously rediculous accolades and victories in all of the chaos legions and in spite of the numerous enemies that they've made, they're still here.

2. One word. AESTHETICS. Look at their 30k versions and you see a bunch of martially and physically perfect soldiers that are some of the best tacticians and whose swordsmanship puts most others to shame. Look at their 40k version and you'll see an absolutely amazing (read: horrifying) mixture of hellraiser cenobites and 80s rock and roll. The fact that each member of the EC is incredibly varied in what they believe looks good mean that there will never be a shortage of diversity for the army.

3. Gameplay. I personally love the run and gun approach that the EC bring to the table. The fact that they're still a legitimate threat at CQC is all the more appealing.

When I first started the game in 3rd Edition, I at first gravitated towards Alaitoc. Elf snipers, hell yeah! But I was short on cash and the Eldar were mostly pewter, which was too expensive for me. Plus, our forming group already had an Eldar player. And a Guard player and a Necron player and a bunch of Marines in red, gray, blue, and black.

We did not, however, have any Chaos players. And most of the range was plastic, so it was comparatively cheap. And when I read in my new 3.5 codex (the greatest Chaos codex ever written) about a legion of Chaos Marines who were quasi-special forces, who always stacked the deck, well, I was sold.

So I chose the Alpha Legion and so began my devotion to the Long War.

Oh, ADB's black legion books have had me consider throwing the whole lot behind the black legion's banner...

But I have a huge black templar army im not about to paint another 100 marines in black! Hahaha!

But when a new abaddon is released I will get him and any appropriate elite body guard he should have. Im hoping for something like him and 10 terminators.

I was instantly corrupted by Chaos with the Lost and the Damned and Slaves to Darkness books back in the day and my affinity for Black Legion soon followed. It was so long ago that I can't really say for sure why I was drawn to them but I know at least part of it was the idea that they recognized and acknowledged their failings and shame, wearing it openly by dawning the Black, and that they were forced to prove themselves against both Traitors and Imperials in order to survive. Besides, someone needs to play the bad guys, and sometimes being bad is sooo good.

My initial chaos force was because I bought them from a friend who has had the codex and a battleforce+ (had a defiler, terminators a lord, Abaddon see old ksons and old noise marines).

I really liked how good Khorne Berserkers were in combat, my first army being Tau (who are not good in combat), but wanting to avoid the situation with my Tau that I'd had, I went online and basically built my army into loyalist marines with chaotic elements.

I don't like any one chapter or legion. Alpha Legion is the closest (but I hate their name) they reasonably train their recruits as a team with focus of accomplishing the mission.

ADB made Black Legion sound cooler, it's an easy color scheme and they are chaos Ultramarines so they will largely have the "middle of the road" to good rules.

I like the Fallen because it's a cool name. I hate frocks but as a Hunter main...got a soft spot for hooded cloaks.

World Eaters are cool, but my head cannon has them more like Klingons as Astartes.

Started out in 1998, Undivided with no Legion because I had split a battleforce with a buddy and our store had lots of all 4 Cult Marines. Legions didn't really exist yet.

Then I got to try using Thousand Sons in my Elite slot and I was hooked.

Of course, I also had an entire force org of Veterans as Troops that all infiltrated and then summoned Daemons of all different gods. That got my brain working from a tactical point of view, along with figuring out how to get use out of the early Oblits.

Then Index Astartes came out and I got to field all Thousand Sons, as well as the army everyone in the store told me to play....the Iron Warriors.

I gradually leaned toward those, but as my income increased, I really started to branch out. Now I've got pretty much some of everything and I love it all, but those two Legions are closest to my heart.

Oh, ADB's black legion books have had me consider throwing the whole lot behind the black legion's banner...

But I have a huge black templar army im not about to paint another 100 marines in black! Hahaha!

But when a new abaddon is released I will get him and any appropriate elite body guard he should have. Im hoping for something like him and 10 terminators.

The voices - do it

In fairness, my first time around with Chaos I did actually choose Worldeaters, but I always had and loved the old Abaddon model and their colour scheme. When it came round to the second time with Chaos (some 15yrs later!) I took the Black without hesitation. Still loved Abe the character but not so much his now diminutive size. It was this artwork won me over -

http://i.imgur.com/8U8reb3.jpg

Exactly what a Chaos raid in the 41st millennium should look like - overwhelming force, then disappear with the spoils :devil:

I'll do my little cobbled together confederation of forces I have planned for chaos.

Small Word Bearer's force pushing cult rabble. An Iron Warriors company. Beastmen Auxiliaries. Abaddon and his elite body guard. A couple of renegade knights.

They will be if GW comes thru for Abby-McStabby and his terminators...

On another note... I have so much work to-do...

And since you like the idea of beastmen. I have a WIP around here somewhere...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/351032-abhuman-auxiliaries-cfh-wip-log/?do=findComment&comment=5204951

There it is... It's in the early stages.

World Eaters: Space Wolves weren't punchy enough in CC and I loved the HH blue and white colors. I also like how the fluff described that sheer horror that would fall upon a world at the mention of their Legion. 

Word Bearers: The box art for Calth and First Heretic.

Death Guard: I was really drawn to the Papa Nurgles Character, the Lord of Death and decay in one light and the Lord of Rebirth and Resilience in the other. 

World Eaters: Space Wolves weren't punchy enough in CC and I loved the HH blue and white colors. I also like how the fluff described that sheer horror that would fall upon a world at the mention of their Legion. 

Word Bearers: The box art for Calth and First Heretic.

Death Guard: I was really drawn to the Papa Nurgles Character, the Lord of Death and decay in one light and the Lord of Rebirth and Resilience in the other. 

I've always been an insane Khorne berserker, but I'm reading Betrayer at the moment and it's opened up a bit of curiosity about the Word Bearers.

There's something quite unsettling about them.

At least the WE will just kill you. Probably quite quickly.

Archived