Legion of the Ashen Choir. My Death Guard army.

CMDR_Welles

In 2011, my father entered the Washington DC Veterans Hospital for what we were told would be a simple Abdominal Hernia Surgery. After 10 months, and 27 botched attempts, my father passed away at 3:12am on August 17, 2012. He went septic in June, and by August, all of his organs were shutting down. Add in the complications of Diabetes from Agent Orange exposure while in Vietnam, it was just too much for him to take. 

Since his death, I've been dealing with crippling Major Depressive Disorder, extreme Social Anxiety Disorder, and PTSD. In 2015 I ended up with Shingles, affecting the Left Trigeminal Nerve. This lead to Bell's Palsy in which I lost the use of the left side of my face for 11 months. Though I've regained most of my facial muscles, I still have nerve damage in and around my left eye. This means I cannot drive safely, as I have no left peripheral vision. It also means that I now have excessive eye strain and now have to use a jewelers loupe to hobby with. Not long after I regained the use of my face, I then developed Pneumonia in 2016, spending 5 days in the Hospital (3 of which were in ICU). While both my sister and mother were sick at the time, neither had it as bad as I did. Things went pretty well after that until December 22, 2017 my mother was given a Cancer diagnosis. She had to have a Pacemaker installed in March of 2018, and then Cancer surgery in April. August 22, 2018 I fell and tore the radial meniscus in my right knee...

Today, December 1, 2018 would have been my fathers 71st Birthday. I started this army after Christmas last year as I was fortunate in receiving some unexpected Christmas gifts. I figured Death Guard was both ironic, and appropriate with everything that has transpired in the last 6 years. There are still more I would like to add to the army, but will have to wait as it does not look like we'll be having Christmas this year afterall as I was denied SSI Disability for the 4th year in a row. 

I've only been able to complete 10 models since January, but I count that as a big accomplishment. I've not painted more than a couple of miniatures since 2000, and not had a painted army since the late 90s. I have many more models to go, but I am not worrying about speed. This army is in honor of my father, and everything we've endured since. 

Thanks, Dad. I miss you so much it hurts.

The Legion of the Ashen Choir

4Gx4Mco.jpg
tOsaNUL.jpg
lrHBqj8.jpg

Lord Pavarottus and his Aria of Filth (still have to get a 50mm to put him on)
x1Nc1QS.jpg
Fu47Cfs.jpg

5kg3J8R.jpg

Squad Verdi
kyfwAYv.jpg

Myphitic Blight Hauler
UG2CurQ.jpg

Plagueburst Crawler
j8tmGYE.jpg

Good job on the models. My condolences for your family's ordeals.

What service was your father in? (I served in the US Army from 2001-2005. I learned of 9/11 Attacks while I was on the bayonet range, during Basic Training.)

Army, 68 and 69. His army records do not list exactly where he was stationed as it is still redacted... But from what little he talked about I know he saw some heavy combat despite being in Water Purification. Because he was in Water Purification, his exposure to Agent Orange was estimated at 10 times more than the average soldier. Despite that he only had 30% disability. Agent Orange was no joke. They didnt admit it until much later, and finally got his disability bumped to 70% in 2006. I spent most of June through August 2012 trying to get it bumped to 100%, and it finally got approved 3 days before he died, thanks to our Congressman. If I hadnt, mom would not have the survivors benefits she does now

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic color scheme. What colors did you use for that blue/gray on the armor? It looks amazing with the copper & steel. Great job. 

Very sorry to hear about what you & your family have been through. 

Fantastic color scheme. What colors did you use for that blue/gray on the armor? It looks amazing with the copper & steel. Great job. 

Very sorry to hear about what you & your family have been through. 

Thanks, I am very glad it worked. I wasnt feeling the DG Green I'd started with. 

The Grey is done like this

Base coat of Coal Black from P3 (its one of my favorite colors)

Washed with Dark Tone from Army Painter

Dry brushed with Army Painter Uniform Grey

Light Dry Brush on edges and creases with Ash Grey (also from Army Painter)

Coal Black has a neat blue/green/teal tinge to it that I've never seen another paint duplicate. It is a fantastic color, and probable one of my favorites. 

Thanks, I am very glad it worked. I wasnt feeling the DG Green I'd started with. 

Coal Black has a neat blue/green/teal tinge to it that I've never seen another paint duplicate. It is a fantastic color, and probable one of my favorites. 

Thanks for sharing. I've never used P3 or Army Painter, I'll have to check them out.

Thanks for sharing. I've never used P3 or Army Painter, I'll have to check them out.

Army Painter is a very close match to the previous Citadel Paints line. Its great if you are trying to match for older colors. They are thick and need to be thinned quite a bit but are really good paints IMHO.

P3 paints are great for base coating and especially for blending. I dont like to dry brush with them, and that is the technique I use most often. Still great paints.

Archived