Texture paint + green instead of flock?

Yeah, so I don't really like flocking bases. Being lazy by nature, I'd much rather just use texture paint to get some unevenness to the bases, but without flock you can't achieve the grassy look. So, I wonder if it's possible to achieve good results by using something like Stirland mud, and then painting the surface partially green (I guess that means Steel Legion Drab for the rim of the base)? I learned about Lustrian Undergrowth literally minutes ago, but it seems unavailable. 

I think using a texture paint then painting green would probably just look like green dirt rather than grass. If anything, and this is purely guess work, maybe if you got some crackle paste, added green paint for color, and mixed in flock it could work with an appropriate texture?

Is there anything stopping you from using a different base style? Even something as simple as switching to mostly rocks/gravel/texture paint, with some premade tufts, would dramatically simplify your life. The right color tufts could even match the flock you've used before.

I think the GW tufts are your friend here.

You would probably achieve some nice looking bases with Stirland Mud and some tufts. You could also get some weathering powders to blend your models into the bases a bit more. Make it look a bit more like they are walking through a battlefield.

Thats the easiest I can think of, as it would only involve three or so products.

Yeah, something like lustrian undergrowth is designed to be a base for a load of other plants/static grass/tufts so it looks like dense undergrowth, on its own is basically green dirt texture and looks it.

Couple of options. The first, as suggested is to use textured paint (stirland mud etc) plus tufts/bushes - you can get a ton of variety of colours and styles cheaper than GW from other places, as they're pretty popular with railway modellers. I use serious play myself. As a variant of that, you can also get base toppers - these are literally pre-made circles of tufts/stones/gravel/flowers to a theme that you literally stick to the base before gluing down the (painted) model, and done. More expensive than doing it yourself, but it's very quick and looks good IMO e.g.

01ee5a33ceb1378a4ed6628f10995e430ae31439

Another option to make static grass easier would be to invest in a static generator; there's a few variants out there but this one with a plate works well for basing. You put the static grass on the box, put pva on the base and clip on a cable; the static grass literally jumps off the plate due to the electric charge and sticks end on to the base so it stands up nice and straight - it makes awesome bloodbowl bases. You can also use it to make your own tufts dirt cheap on a sheet of tacked silicone paper.

Archived