1500 Tournament coming up.

Morticon

Heya all. 

So...the gaming group here in Beijing is running its first mini-tourney.  Likely to be a cool, small affair.  However, the local players are VERY solid, and quite "net-aware". They also seem to have more capital than the local SA players, which means their lists appear to be far more optimized.  

I'm playing pure BA and going to see how things go. My first list had a few more mixed weapons - more ACs and a ML in the devs, but with the amount of big things in the mix (and IG tanks, and Knights etc) im thinking of making sure I have las cannons a-plenty. 

This is what i'm looking at:

Captain - Wings, Shield, Hammer, Artisan, Visions

Captain - JP, Shield, Hammer. 

6x Scouts -  Axe

6x Scouts - Sword

6x Tacs - HF, Axe

8x DC - JP, Hammer, Sword, Axe.

8x VVets - JP, Hammer, Swords, Axe, 5x Shields. 

5x Dev - 2LC, HB

5x Dev - 2LC, HB

Razor - TLLC

Razor - TLLC

Razor - TLLC

- Only 7 CP once ive used visions.  Could make it 6 with Veritas - but i'm unsure. 

Very typical old-skool list of mine - but I havent played with Razors in a LONG time.  Hoping they will do a little something in the 1500 level.  

Dont have my raven(s) with me in China, I'm afraid :/ 

And, the thought of putting two birds down and then losing first terrifies me.  Not a list I'd consider, I think ><; 

Also, doesnt the flyer rule come into effect where if you dont have stuff on the board, you lose?? 

I like the list. Devastators are great support.

Have you considered adding a Cherub to one of the Devastator squads? The reason I say that us because of the Hellfire Shells trick. 2D3 Mortal Wounds hitting on a 2+ is him.

You can even be cheeky and add a Missile Launcher to the same squad and use a Flakk missile on the same target for +1 to hit against flying units and another D3 Mortal Wounds.

It's not crucial but Custodes on Jetbikes with their horrific survivability are a pain and being able to put 3D3 Mortal Wounds on them in a turn, hitting on 3 2+s could help?

Love it though. The Vanguard really soak up attention and can tank it provided you don't roll like I do!

One of the locals here plays strict BA. I played him last night with my Ultramarines vanilla list. I gotta say I'm just not liking Razorbacks lately. Personally I take one vehicle (most likely a Rhino) of that nature to get my drop count down.

Here's just some random, probably useless, thoughts that I note about our games:

- It's too bad you couldn't get some form of Psychic in there because some of the BA powers just seem so darn good and it's always good to have some form of defence. (His BA Libby canceled Tigurius' successful cast of Null Zone which I -desperately- needed against his Smash Capt).

- I personally think Devs are extremely valuable in a largely offensive force like yours. 

- I'd repeat what Idaho is saying above. Basically in the Ultra forum I am always touting those Mortal Wound mechanisms as mandatory in competitive play. I use the Hvy Bolter/Missile Launcher one almost every game because our ability to leverage Mortal wounds is almost non-existent without psykers.

The only caveat to that would be that you play BA. Ultra have very few 'potent' Strats so it's easy for me to spam Flak missile and the Heavy Bolter one... but I notice my BA opponents go through CP like candy in the assault phase. (You have some GREAT CC strats). So your mileage may vary but the ol' Cherub pluck, double shooting, mortal wounding strat is a decent equalizer.

- I don't think I would bother with the +1 models in the troop squads. 

- I'm always blown away by the great FnP survivability on key units in BA. It almost forces me to 'over commit' on units flanking in on me with ability.

- Axes seem underappreciated around here on BA. Your chapter trait and axes are just.... really annoying. (I also just hate fists right now. Really underwhelming).

Wounding on a 2+ is gorgeous. Best Chapter Trait EVER.

I'd spam power swords though. Cheaper and wounding most things on a 3+ is delicious.

Though I appreciate wounding T8 on a 4+ is also delicious.

Yea that's why I like the Axes. I've watched these guys plow into my Castellan, and a Warden Knight and spank it really hard. Sometimes I'm simply hoping for an explosion because I know the Knight is going down when I see that charge. 

Im giving some thought to a biker libby, to be honest! 

Also, 

One of my Devs is usually modelled with a ML - so, I may keep him in, especially since this most recent variant of list has 3x TLLC razors, instead of 2x TLLC and 1x TLAC. 

I was looking at some other lists that may be playing at 1500...man, its just sick. 

One of the board members on here has a SICK Armiger/IG/BA soup list, another dude has a very spammy, though tourney winning (imho) Eldar/DE list - essentially 6 serpents and 3 Ravagers... ><; 

Really just cant deal with that ><; 

For information for all that are reading... Tokugawa (above) actually has a FILTHY IG/BA/Knight list at 1500 <_< 

I think it's possibly one of the strongest I've seen.  That's gonna be a real tough one to deal with.   

That being said, there's a chance I wont make the tourney.....I spent Sat-Mon in hospital cause of a slipped/hernated disk .....so.....i may have to sit (/lay) this one out. But will be cool so see the results of a mini-local tourney.  

For information for all that are reading... Tokugawa (above) actually has a FILTHY IG/BA/Knight list at 1500 :dry.: 

I think it's possibly one of the strongest I've seen.  That's gonna be a real tough one to deal with.   

That being said, there's a chance I wont make the tourney.....I spent Sat-Mon in hospital cause of a slipped/hernated disk .....so.....i may have to sit (/lay) this one out. But will be cool so see the results of a mini-local tourney.  

I want to see that list! Tokugawa, pretty please? :sweat: 

ah damn man, that would suck. Wheelchair and lower the table/get a field commander and a chair :yes: Win you shall!

As for Tokugawas list, from memory its:

Smash Captain

Mephiston

3x 5 Scouts (HB/ML combos)

company comander (IG)

Pask - in Russ

3x 10 Infantry (plasma)

2x Russes, HBSS

2x Helverins 

At 1500 with 11 CP and grand strat, its so nasty!!! Really has all bases covered, i feel. 

As for Tokugawas list, from memory its:

Smash Captain

Mephiston

3x 5 Scouts (HB/ML combos)

company comander (IG)

Pask - in Russ

3x 10 Infantry (plasma)

2x Russes, HBSS

2x Helverins

At 1500 with 11 CP and grand strat, its so nasty!!! Really has all bases covered, i feel.

Yes, that is almost exactly my list. I drop ML to give capatain a shield.

The list is based on models I have, not fully optimized(I don't own bigger knight,basilisk,mortar HWT,etc).

Back from the event. Time is limited to 1 day , so 10 men play 3 Swiss rounds. I got 3-0(win with Harlequins, IG/BA, Orks) and ranked 2nd.

We played 3 malestrom missions from CA2017(local players are not familiar with ITC or other modified formats). #1 is a nids player with Swarmlord/Dakkarant/30+Genestealers/3HiveGuard.

Morticon hurt his back and cannot participate, I'm sorry to say.

Congrats to Tokugawa at least putting in some kind of a BA show :P :P Even it it was IG/Knight backed :P  

But, 3 for 3 is a GREAT result.  SO, well done there.  I'm super bummed out that I couldnt make it.  But...next time!! 

Toughest games Tokugawa?   How was the smash captain and mephiston? 

Congrats to Tokugawa at least putting in some kind of a BA show :P :P Even it it was IG/Knight backed :P&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;

But, 3 for 3 is a GREAT result.&amp;nbsp; SO, well done there.&amp;nbsp; I'm super bummed out that I couldnt make it.&amp;nbsp; But...next time!!&amp;nbsp;

Toughest games Tokugawa?&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;How was the smash captain and mephiston?&amp;nbsp;

As I remember:

Game 1 vs Harlequins

Mission: Tactical gambit Map: Vanguard strike

The opponent is a new player and has not finished sufficient models(IMO) before the event. His list has 3 Starweavers with troupes, 1 unit of Skyweavers bike, and too many heroes(Master, 2 Shadowseer, Solitaire, 3 Jesters).

I know how FAR the harlequins could reach in one turn. So I don't want they charge my scouts and use them as bridges to approach my defense line, and deploy 1 scout squad in a far corner, contact obj. The other 2 screen near my deployment line. Guardsmen screen to two layers.

Turn1

I seized! Shooting kill 2 Starweavers but only kill 2 of the passengers.

He advanced every unit forward and shoot, kill some infantries. Bikes charged and finished a scout squad but cannot consolidate to other units.

Turn2

My shooting kill bikes,some troupes and the last starweaver.

He use a strategem to teleport 3 heroes forward(don't know why, he may boost his Solitaire 20 inches and made one-on-one dual to kill my hero). Shooting phase I lose some screen guardsmen and scout squad in corner. 3 Heroes and 1 troupe unit made their charge, hit the screen, wipe 1 guardsmen squad, consolidate to another.

Turn3

The last guardsmen squad fall back and shoot via order, kill the last 3 troupes. Then I could aim barrels of tanks at his heroes. That is cruel. Tabled him turn4. Lose all the scouts but my tanks are almost untouched. BA hq killed 1 or 2 heroes, can't remember.

Game 2 vs IG/BA Mission: Rage to victory Map: Vanguard strike

The opponent own many armies, but decide to bring his favorite Blood Angels. His list has 2 batallion: BA det has 2 Captains(only one is smash captain. The other has just cheap wargear and babysit back, didn't do much work in the whole game. IMO he really should shave some points from otherwhere to equip him), 3 scout squads, 10 men death company, and a Lascannon dev squad.IG Valhallan det have 2 Tank commander, 1 LRBT(all with battlecannons), guardsmen.

This game is the toughest. Our lists are partially similar, but his units are more aggressive than mine. I keep 1 scout squad on deployment line, 2 squads to hold distant obj.

Turn1

I go first. We trade some infantries. FRFSRF is incredibly good in such situation. And almost all the tankgun shells bounced, only a lucky lascannon of him made 6 wounds on my armiger.

He use UWoF and Descent to throw Deathcompany at my frontline, wipe 1 screen IG squad.

Turn2

My tanks killed 1 TankCo. HB scouts used Hellfire shell to knock down 1 lascannon dev. Meph charged Deathcompany and finished the last survivors.

In shooting phase he knocked the wounded Armiger to 1 wound(!), but just cannot deliver the final blow. He drawed obj card of "assasinate", and throw his smash capatain to Meph. After successful charge and gain total 8 attacks via strategem, he swing...and Meph only lose 3 wounds. Meph swung back, dealed 0 wounds. He has 2 CPs left and couldn't fight again.

Turn3

At that time point I fell behind on VPs by around 4-10, but I restored confidence about taking advantages. Meph fell back, and my tanks vaporized his smash Captain. Also hurted the second TankCo. My smash captain and the remaining scout squad marched to midfield, and charged an IG squad as bridge.

He finally destroyed the 1wound Armiger. Scouts companions dead, but my smash captain receive no damage.

Turn4

My tanks killed TankCo, and Smash captain rolled 11 inches on charge distance, smash the last LRBT down. Meph caught some guardsmen.

His 2nd captain charged Smash captain, dealed 2 wounds and get killed in counterpunch.

Tabled him turn5.

Game 3 vs Orks Mission: Kill Confirmed Map: Frontline assault

The opponent has a Badmoon Brigade with 1 Gorkanought. I tried to deny a flank, but he has much more units than me, so most units of ours are still in the same flank.

Turn1

I shoot at lootas but only killed 1, others damage just turned into two dead grechin units.

His lootas had some good dakka rolls, knock an Armiger to 2wounds, wipe 1 scout squad.

Turn2

I used "Machine spirit resurgent" to make Armiger shoot back with full status. Killed...more grechins and 1 Deffdread.

His Gorkanought teleport in, stomped 1st layer IG screen down, 2nd layer has 4 models left after shooting(I used strategems to pass a morale check). Lootas killed the wounded Armiger and knock another to 2wounds(again!). Deffkoptas dropped and engaged with scouts.

Turn3

All my firepower point at Gorkanought, killed it. Pask rolled two 6's on time of attacks. And I used "Machine spirit resurgent" again. Since Gorkanought died Smash captain charged at the passengers(Nobz), but they disembaked backwards, and even with Angle's wing he couldn't make that 9 inches charging.

His CPs were running out, and cannot afford double-shooting for lootas. Smash captain still alive after shooting, so Nobz charged, killed him, but lose 3 by OIDDDE. A walking Warboss also made his charge and killed some guardsmen.

Turn4

My shooting killed the Warboss and remaing Nobz, reduce the Lootas unit to 7. Meph charged Deffkoptas and chopped them. It was fairly late(near 9PM), and opponent player gived up then.

In the 3 games I used BA HQ as counter-charge units. But my screens were never totally penetrated, so there wasn't much heavy-lifting work left for them.

Archived