Bronze Spray Paint for Minotaurs

Dom_

Hey all,

Starting a small Minotaurs project and wanted to know if anyone knew of a spray that was close to GW's Screaming Bell paint. My Google searches haven't turned up anything.

To my knowledge, you're not going to find one that matches Screaming Bell. It's a very specific colour, and I've never seen any spray-paint or primer that's close to it.

That being said, if you're going for Minotaurs, you're going for the wrong colour. The base colour for Minotaurs armour isn't Screaming Bell. It's actually Balthazar Gold.

If I where you I'd base coat with warplock bronze and then highlight with runelord brass, and then some edge highlighting with a silver colour (runefang steel or whatever), That would look very good and give you a nice bronze

While I appreciate the replies and the painting advice, I'm looking for a spray can to speed up production. Any brass/bronze colour sprays that anyone knows about?

While I appreciate the replies and the painting advice, I'm looking for a spray can to speed up production. Any brass/bronze colour sprays that anyone knows about?

Most non-dedicated model Metallic Sprays/Primer don't take well to painting over them, I learned that when I tried to cheat getting Retributor Armour when I tried to do Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons.

You'd have to spray the metallic paint THEN brush/spray over it with a varnish (satin or matte, up to you) to get it to accept further painting in a decent manner.

That being said, I did find two metallic bronze spray primers: Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Spray Paint: Antique Brass and Krylon ColorMaster Metallic Paint & Primer: New Penny.

The former looks like it'd be good if you want to have the duller, darker bronze of the Minotaurs, whereas the latter would be good if you wanted a brighter finish.

Dunno if you can find those over in the UK though.

I’m on a mobile so I can’t see where you are, but at Halfords here in the UK they have all the bronze/gold colour rattle cans you can dream of. Lord knows who’s driving these hideous bling-mobiles but it could be what you’re after.

Prime, spray, gloss varnish and wash. Just don’t expect to be able to easily touch up if you slip whilst doing the detail work...

If you can use an airbrush or spraygun, darkstar molten metals spray pretty easily with a little thinning with water or a standard non-alcohol airbrush thinner, they also do their own. Darkstar 'copper' is the closest I have to screaming brass. For a dark brass as Imren suggested, then darkstar  'blackened bronze' is a good possibility as base layer, and 'bronze' as a highlight.

Scale 75 also do a wide range of metallics that you can airbrush after thinning with their own thinner, though I found it works best if you thin it in a cup first, so it doesn't clog the airbrush. The scale 75 Copper series has some very nice shades, and decayed metal highlighted with victorian brass is my goto combo for that old brass look.

Archived