Kroot Warband: The "Four Fingers"

airinhere

Departing from their homeworld of Pech centuries ago, these mercenary warriors have endured loss and isolation for generations.  Originally a small fleet boasting four massive War Spheres, numerous smaller battle Spheres and a plan.  A plan to sweep outside of known Kroot Space to discover unknown species to add to the genetic material of the Kroot.  Now, the Fleet has been ruined.  First one War Spere and several Battle Spheres were lost to Ork Voidships.  Surprised and rammed from all directions, only three of the War Spheres made the entry to Warp space.  Entering reality afterwards proved dangerous and the experimental warp drives were prone to erratic behavior.  Soon afterward, Human zealots dressed in Black armor struck.  Again, a War Sphere was lost defending the remaining two craft as they slipped away into the warp.  Plunging deep into unknown space, the massive space station battle Cruisers risked fiery unreality consuming them and as the craft sought safe entry far away from gravity wells that might rip them apart, they found themselves lost and far from even the closest planetary systems.  Drifting for decades, they salvaged parts back and forth raiding far abroad in their smaller Battle Spheres.  Sometimes emerging from darkness with stolen (or earned) supplies, weapons and even captured warships.  Soon several heavily armored battleships were taken from a vicious pirate armada.  Ancient craft loaded with smaller fighters and landing ships, these soon replaced the aging Battle Spheres as the favored cruiser for planetary raids.  Human Frigates allowed safe entry into Imperial territory.  Unable to return to Warpflight, the two massive War Spheres have been modified and built together into a confusing array of passageways and outward facing weapon systems.  Alight with life and two fully functional Gellar field generators, the Massive craft has avoided the fate of being cast into the warp and becoming a Spacehulk.  Drifting safely in deep space, the massive Space station has become a home for the wayward and the abandoned.  

The Warband of the Four Fingers still searches for new genetic material to add to their bloodline.  Kroot warriors range far abroad searching for mercenary work and have developed a dark reputation for solving problems that more civilized elements might shy away from.  Demonic forces, pirate raiders and ancient Xenos threats have seen these unusual Blue skinned Kroot appear with lightning fast effect, driving the darkness back and then fading away to claim their reward.  Imperial, Eldar and many other civilized species have turned a blind eye to the Kroots unsavory needs as their honorable nature proves them to be reliable allies time and time again.  When all else fails, there are always those in positions of power willing to consent to a small sacrifice to resist the greater darkness from closing in.

976653_md-Kroot%2C%20Mercenary.JPG

979283_md-.JPG

976659_md-.JPG

976658_md-.JPG

976651_md-.JPG

Kroot Warriors sometimes are paired with massive Kroot Hound specimens dubbed "Trackers".  These spindly beasts develop massive cranial formations that block out their sight and even hearing within the first year of life.  However the same growths magnify the beasts sense of smell greatly.  Nurturing these blind, deaf beasts Kroot riders develop a bond allowing them to ride into the most terrifying of combat.  Unflinching beasts, they move silently across the battlefield until the time to rush the enemy arrives.

972629_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

972627_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

966748_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

966747_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

Adult male "Trackers" grow to massive size  do not display the cranial overgrowth and are wildly aggressive beasts.  A team of two Kroot riders is required to control the beast and its powerful frame is able to carry heavy weapon systems and armor into battle.  Easily able to outrun the smaller "Trackers", these lone males are held back to provide supporting fire as the smaller females rush ahead until the time is right for them to charge the enemy in a frenzy of claw and beak.

960569_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

960570_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

Kroot Hounds race ahead of their "Tracker" brothers.  Cybernetic limbs are used to mend wounded hounds.  Nearby, mutated Kroot warriors degenerated by contact with Tyranid specimens run wild with the hounds.  Unwilling to murder these aberrations, the infected are sterilized and watched for further signs of mutation.

962345_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

962344_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

962342_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

Knarloc beasts carry weapon systems scavenged from a burning Tau Warship.  Arriving too late to rescue the crew from an Ork assault, the warband took time to carefully salvage the advanced Tau weapon systems.  The decision to recover so much advanced tech cost the warband deeply.  The Orks had already called for help before being wiped out and soon an armada rushed the Kroot fleet.  One War Sphere and several Battle Spheres were lost as the fleet jumped away to safety.  

961052_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

961054_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

960566_md-Conversion%2C%20Greater%20Knar

I have been wrapping up this army for the last several months.  Right now I have Twenty odd Kroot, six Krootox and five armored, heavy weapon Greater Knarlocs in development.

I wanted a different army.  Kroot models always appealed to me, but they seemed overly simplified.  Space cavemen standing as a meatshield for the noblebright tau mechwarriors in their cool Gundam armor.  That description might fit the tamed Kroot assigned to bubblewrap duty for a Tau army, but as I read the story around the Kroot, I realized that was a ruse.  These simple savages built their own warp capable battleships.  They paid lip service to their Tau allies, but in the same breath they denied sharing their technology.  These honorable warriors spread across the galaxy outside of the range of their Tau allies and set to fighting as mercenaries for those they deemed worthy.   These are not galactic rubes, but savvy arbiters searching for genetic prizes and honor.  

Or they are in my headcannon.

Coming soon..... Greater Knarlocs, WIP images, conversions, Dropships and BFG cruisers.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped painting and converting this week and took some WIP images of the two squads of Kroot, a sniper squad, four Krootox and one Master Shaper.  These guys are a load of fun and I have been able to practice using decals, weathering, leather effects, bone, various metals and rust.  So much more variety than marines.  I think I might understand why some people love orks and all the converting madness that they used to require.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall

Group shot of the last Kroot models in this army before I get to start on my Greater Knarloc models!  I have been itching to get started on them and it feels good to be this close.

987613_md-.JPG

Master Shaper beginning to come together.  I researched chrome effects for hours and am still planning how to make his knife and rifle come alive.

987614_md-.JPG

Sniper models firing High powered Kroot Guns.  I am still considering adding a second Kroot with a shield like the Jezzail teams for Skaven.  Or a stick to balance the gun while firing.   Or a second Kroot with a stick.....

987615_md-.JPG

Krootox are supposed to be these intimidating melee beasts.  So I gave them some hand blades and clubs and chopped up three to be a brute squad for assaulting.  Except they will surely be slow and need a way to deepstrike or something.  Maybe bodygaurd meatshields for the master Shaper?  They were a great challenge to repose and I am slowly gaining confidence in using green stuff.  I swear my greenstuff fur came out better than the failcast I was trying to copy.

987617_md-.JPG

987616_md-.JPG

And this briongs me toward the very end of my Kroot project.  Today I wrapped up 20 Kroot Carnivores, 5 Snipers with Kroot Guns, 4 Krootox and a Master Shaper (Aun-Prak)

Kroot Shaper leading his squad

988164_md-.JPG

A second Shaper rallies his squad toward him.

988165_md-.JPG

A rusted and battered flamer serves as a fine trophy taken long ago.

988166_md-.JPG

Master Shaper Traw'Klok directs his Warriors forward.

988167_md-.JPG

Snipers assume support positions where their powerful Kroot Guns are best able to eliminate enemy leaders.  These long range, powerful rifles are the doom of many.  Once these snipers find their target, death comes quickly.

988160_md-.JPG

Breath slowed, sights adjusted for range and a calming breath as the trigger tightens against his finger.

988163_md-.JPG

As the breath leaves his chest Illor-ha slowly squeezes the trigger on his rifle.  A bright flash and recoil pushes against his shoulder.  In the distance men turn as their commander falls to the ground, his body mangled and torn as it collapses to the ground

988162_md-.JPG

Krootox often join their smaller Kroot cousins into battle.  Some Krootox are little more than beasts of burden, able to carry powerful railgun systems operated by Kroot Kindred.  However, some Krootox retain some small intellect and are entrusted with clubs and spiked gauntlets that they use to rush upon their enemies.  

988158_md-.JPG

Rail guns were found in a storage container salvaged from a crippled Tau battleship long ago.  Each of these remaining systems are ancient and greatly valued.

988159_md-.JPG

Warpaint, crude armor and skulls taken from mighty beasts are favored fashion for these enormous Krootox.  

988161_md-.JPG

And now to begin on my final leg of this project.  

Greater Knarloc Heavy Weapon Beasts.

More to come!

Once the Four Finger teams are dropped planetside, they might be without additional support for an extended time.  Heavy weapon support is often carried on the backs of Greater Knarlocs.  Makeshift repairs and improvised upgrades are a constant effort on the part of the Kroot engineers assigned to these units.  Juvenile Kroot "Krootlings" are also introduced to the battlefield under the careful supervision of these exceptional Kroot.  Animal handling skills, mechanical aptitude and combat discipline are constant focus of life for these young Kroot as their role in the battlefield is forged in each conflict.

A pair of Tau rail guns have been salvaged from ruined Broadside suits.  Targeting systems connected to a sturdy gyroscope mount allow one rider to fire while the other guides the Greater Knarloc mount.  Ammo crates and surplus gear are carried atop the sturdy beast.  Supplies that the other members of the combat detachment rely on during extended deployment.

988512_md-.JPG

Assault cannons have been scavenged from a fallen Human, Dreadnought war suit.  Able to provide bursts of intense firepower, drums of additional ammunition are kept ready for quick reloading.  Trophies taken from distant worlds are displayed  proudly by the Kroot riders.

988511_md-.JPG

Twin Flamestorm cannons are mounted atop this Greater Knarloc.  These were removed from a crippled Human armored vessel crewed by power armored warriors.  Additional canisters of Promethium are a precious resource that are eagerly taken in trade or by force.

988510_md-.JPG

An ancient Tau Ion cannon system has seem extensive refit to prevent overheating.  An armored houda carries the Kroot crew and several younger Krootlings.  Bags, barrels and crates of supplies are carried by this Greater Knarloc to support the Kroot teams deployed planetside.

988514_md-.JPG

And the last Greater Knarloc carries a massive Tau rail cannon system recovered from a ruined Armored carrier.  Makeshift armor protects the weapons power supply system and targeting computer. Skulls and helmets of defeated foes adorn the barrel of the rail cannon as well as smaller fetishes intended to offer protection and luck to the Kroot  when deployed.  

988513_md-.JPG

Three Kroot and four Krootlings act as crew for the Ion Cannon and Rail Cannon systems.  These wise Kroot are expected to forge the younger Krootlings into functional members of the warband over the course of several deployments.    However, they are also responsible for the safety of the Krootlings, Greater Knarlocs and the relic weapon systems deployed here.  A task they take with all seriousness, even willing to refute the direction of their Shaper leaders if required.

988515_md-.JPG

As I put the photos online last night of my Kroot warriors, I wondered if the bases (100 mm) for the Greater Knarlocs would ever arrive.  And then, this morning, I found the paper informing me that the bases had arrived.  A little glue and a quick spray of white begins the final round of my Kroot army.

• 3 months later...

Weathered and damaged weapon systems leaking oil and rust showing across the patchwork repairs contrasts against the dirty bags and tents carried on the backs of these Greater Knarlocs.  Each of these massive Kroot species retains a flicker of intellect.  With care and trust they learn to follow the guidance of their handlers into combat.  Warpaint is smeared across the head of both mount and rider in matching patterns showing their close bond.  

The first warbeast carries a pair of XV88 Railguns mounted onto a rusting Ork targeting system.  Reliable and surprisingly able to generate powerful electromagnetic fields, the Kroot riders accept their inability to rebuild the alien device powering the weapons.  Each combat sees another critical system lose function.  In time, the fierce guns shall draw silent forever.

1003704_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

1003705_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

Scavenged from a fallen Contemptor dreadnought,  a pair of assault cannons are connected by long feed trays to small barrels filled with ammunition.  These newly captured weapons already show heat damage to all barrels along with corrosion and oil leakage in the gun mechanisms.  

1003707_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

1003706_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

The third Greater Knarloc carries a set of Flamestorm cannons taken from an armored Landraider chassis.  It was discovered crushed under a bulkhead in an abandoned and wrecked Human starcraft many generations ago.  Valuable Promethium cannisters are carried along with personal trophies, tarps and backpacks filled with support gear.

1003709_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

1003708_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

A massive Tau Rail cannon rides atop the fourth Greater Knarloc.  Skulls and heads taken form enemy leaders are displayed proudly from its massive barrel.  Armored plates protect the delicate Tau power and targeting systems scavenged atop this massive beast.  Two senior Kroot and one juvenile Krootling crew this fearsome weapon system.

1003711_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

1003710_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

The fift Greater Knarloc carries a Ion cannon taken from a Tau armored carrier.  Over the years, it has been rebuilt and the power plant has been modified to provide cooling and stabilization for the sensitive weapon systems.  One aged and wise Kroot Shaper is joined by three young Krootlings who learn under his calm guidance.  As they grow and mature into adults, they will in time join the ranks of the other warriors of the Warband of the Four Fingers.

1003712_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

1003713_md-Cavalry%2C%20Greater%20Knarlo

Mercenary life can be rough. Operating in remote areas with little direct support, Kroot warriors of the Four Fingers rely on a pair of heavily armored planetary assault cruisers. Taken from a marauding band of pirate raiders in the closing years of M39, these two cruisers of unknown make have proven to be formidable weapons and a safe haven among the starts. 

1003854_md.JPG

1003853_md-Battlefleet%20Gothic%2C%20Cav

Contrasting sharply with the fearsome assault cruisers is the Rubicon. Gold plated and luxuriously appointed, the Rubicon was the personal Freighter of the long-dead Rogue Trader Anthonase Kormar. Taken as prize for services rendered long ago, this regal craft is able to scout into Human systems without the risk of arousing the local Imperial Navy fleets. Arriving in less settled areas, the appearance of the well-armed Rubicon deters raiders who might wait for less dangerous targets. 

1003860_md-Battlefleet%20Gothic%2C%20Cav

A massive Urs-Ars harpoon is mounted under the prow of each armored cruiser. These adamantium reinforced spikes are fired into fleeing vessels and slowly dragged back into range to launch boarding torpedoes. This was a favorite tactic of the pirate raiders who once crewed these mighty ships. The Kroot of the Four Fingers take a similar delight in harpooning a target ship and revel in slowly reeling the crippled ships back toward their waiting guns. 

1003856_md.JPG

Armored plating and multiple shield generators offer safety to the Kroot crew aboard each of these Planetary assault craft. Based on energy and impact dispersion, shield generators are spread across the entirety of each cruiser. These project outward form the individual generator orbs and can create a series of layered orbs of protection around each ship. Only after piercing these layered shields, then the heavy armor plates are able to reduce any remaining danger before the crew might fear for their own safety. Kroot engineers are quick to calibrate these shield generators while in combat and risk their own lives to preserve these ancient systems. 

1003858_md.JPG

The Oibpa bears the scars of many fierce battles. Surprisingly agile and quick, the Oibpa can deploy swarms of small, drop pod landers when in planetary assault or near to harpooned vessels. A devastating array of 16 long barreled Bombardment cannons face downward to support a planet side invasion and can swing forward for a deadly salvo at close range against harpooned victims. Each weapon requires massive autoloaders to ready the next round, so normally each gun is fired as part of a pattern cycling all 16 barrels to create a barrage of non stop destruction. However, when the Urs-Ars harpoon has dragged a victim ship into range, all barrels can be fired at once for a vicious killing blow that can spell death to even the mightiest of enemy flagships. 

1003855_md.JPG

The Legan displays its many prow mounted antennae and weapon systems. The Urs-Ars harpoon pokes from underneath the massed weapon systems. Over the centuries, salvaged weapons are often added to the prow arsenal. Ammunition and power systems can run out, but might be made available again, so the weapon remains until it might be useful again. And thus, the prow arsenal grows to resemble something an Ork might look fondly towards. Extended barrels and various sensor arrays, communications amplifiers and even astropathic choir conductor systems are all laced together in a chaotic swirl. 

1003857_md.JPG

Archived