Too Much Ice. More Activity Needed! Rekindle the Flames!

Karack Blackstone

Hello all.

There's too much ice in these halls.

Rekindle the flames of the hearth fires! More activity needed in here!

To that end, what are you all working on?

What models are you waiting to assemble?

What unit loadouts are you considering or adjusting, and why?

What models are you in need of to get closer to finishing your Packs?

As Chapter Approved 2018 is due in a week or two, what do we think might receive points drops? GK's are getting some much needed love. We're not great, but we are in at least a position to see that a revisit is likely coming to us.

As far as table top tactics, strategies, and battle plans have been working for you?

As we await the coming yearly visit of Russ, please get the mead, ale and mjod ready, warm, and flowing! Prepare the hunts, the feasts be upon us!

I've been working on a bunch of things atm. just super bogged down with school, work, and working on a new house.

I've honestly, partly been waiting on chapter approved, while we got our codex and it was nice. CA dropping so soon after made me a wait and see changes across the board.

also with winter break coming I plan on, across the forum updating all my projects.

My Hearth grew cold because I moved house a couple months ago and haven't yet motivated myself to set up a new hobby area.

That said I have been toying with getting a unit of Hellblasters for on the hunt shenanigans, or finishing my multi melta longfang squad now we can negate the movement penalties for shooting.

I had to change my list completely as I now can't find a space for any dreadnoughts as I just don't get the mileage from them.

I'm hoping they standardise the cost of Jet packs for our characters in CA.

I'm at this odd stage of not knowing what I need to fix my lists but at the same time wanting shiny stuff just to paint (Which I can't justify unless I plan to play them!)

Apologies Karrack, my hearth (and heart) has been cold as it looks like right after our Wolves Codex dropped, all of a sudden my meta stopped playing 40K. It conincided with the end of a lot of tournaments which left most of my meta burnt out. And by the time they recovered, the craze from Shadespire started, and there have been  few invasion of TCG as well such as Key stone, Transformers, another warhammer 40K or AOS TCG, I can't remember.... and worst still for me, when Ork codex came out, I COULDN'T FIND ANY ORK TO FIGHT!

Sigh, was just tired of my "wargames" against our cousin chapters. Ironically I've been taking lessons on improving my games from an Ultramarine player. I think I mentioned that these days I never leave my long fangs at home, I always bring minimum two with me. Now I've realised that though hardly game breaking, my ingrained Long Fang importance has prevented me from truly trying out different strategies to maximise our codex and threat potential. Such as an Airwolf list of 2-3 stormfangs/wolves, or jump pack wolf guards, or bike wolf guards, or skyclaws, or even the unit I hate the most, Thunderwolf cavalry, or conversely my favorite but underpowered unit, the terminators.

Speaking of which, the only rumor that really perked my ears regarding unit costs, was that our terminators in conjunction with the Grey Knights ones, maybe going down in cost drastically, I'm talking about nearing the Intercessor point range. Good news, but unfortunately if it is true, that will mean the same for the chaos ones as well.

The cold never bothered me anyway....

Oh, right! sorry for that. I've been out of it for a while and only recently began lurking the halls once again and starting a new plog. Working on my first Primaris pack and hopefully will have a finished photo of them soon, just waiting for some Valhallan Blizzard to arrive in the mail. Hoping to pick up our codex and put my Wolves back on the fields of battle before the year is out. 

The cold never bothered me anyway....

Oh, right! sorry for that. I've been out of it for a while and only recently began lurking the halls once again and starting a new plog. Working on my first Primaris pack and hopefully will have a finished photo of them soon, just waiting for some Valhallan Blizzard to arrive in the mail. Hoping to pick up our codex and put my Wolves back on the fields of battle before the year is out. 

LOL, I use to sing "LET IT GO" whenever I casted Stormcaller power. Now I do it when I use Cloaked by Storm strategem since the Stormcaller power is so obscenely expensive at Warp Charge 8.

I hope your Primaris units work well for you.

I'd like to post up some pics of what I'm working on but for two reasons...

1. I'm not stupid but for the love of fenris I can't work out how the heavens to get pics on here,

and

2. I haven't been painting for 20 years so my results are still developing in the direction I want, and bashing is on hold until I've got that sorted.

Edit: so it's not easy posting from a phone, however, LF pack leader is here for your judgement brothers. (Squad and bases to come soon).

I'd like to post up some pics of what I'm working on but for two reasons...

1. I'm not stupid but for the love of fenris I can't work out how the heavens to get pics on here,

and

2. I haven't been painting for 20 years so my results are still developing in the direction I want, and bashing is on hold until I've got that sorted.

Edit: so it's not easy posting from a phone, however, LF pack leader is here for your judgement brothers. (Squad and bases to come soon).

Looks great brother, very nice and neat :thumbsup:

After finishing my second pack of wulfen with TH and SS (to back up my original pack with a mix of axes and hammers) I have been playing some games to get the hang of the new 'dex and learn the strats etc. mainly against genestealer cult and Admech with knights thrown into the mix now and again. Overall I am really enjoying how the new codex plays and it makes us feel dangerous again as an army which is great, the last game I had was against an Admech army with 2 big knights and 3 Armigers and I was able to take the hits and tear all but one down over the course of the game, the wulfen ripped through his warlord knight, my long fangs were amazing against all the armour and my Rune Priest called on the power of Fenris to blow an Armiger away with living lightning, it was epic ! Really enjoying making different lists and looking at the synergies we can put together, I favour a hard hitting close combat list which works well with the new rules for hunters unleashed and the 6" HI which makes our characters really mobile. Revel in the strength of our arms kinsmen, may we shake the pillars of the world and leave all enemies of the Rout on the red snow :biggrin.:

I just started space wolves last month. I have ten grey hunters, a wolf lord, rune priest, and 5 tartoros terminators finished. I have 20 more grey hunters, 10 blood claws and 5 long fangs to get done next, before I allow myself to buy more!

I've played three games so far, but only agasint my buddies buggie ork list, where he has (pretty much), just an army of the new ork vehicles, a couple of heavy weapons, and a unit of lootas. I've won one game, lost two. Wounding his whole army on 5's is pretty rough! 

Thanks for the check-ins, all.

I myself need to find a way to better manage my time, energy and efforts and start making a sizable dent in the models I have still in boxes thus far, as well as a possible full Logan's Great Company revisit due to the coming Chapter Approved 2018. That's a great thing, to type it.

As far as my personal collection goes, I recently played a game with 2,000 points, two RP's, four GH packs, and three LF packs. Lots of bodies, one of the few times I've recently tried the mass-troops army in a long time. Going over the fight mentally, the problem the Wolves appear to face right now is GH's are pretty well priced with the "free" chainsword, while Long Fangs may be a little high, however their wonderful abilities, even if mostly Strategems, do grant them a seriously strong ability to press and fire well.

Advancing while firing and not caring about the -1 To Hit can be WONDERFUL if using a sturdy weapon. LF's with 5 HB's running around spitting shots like mad should make a very strong threat.

I find myself wondering a great deal about how to proceed on things for myself, and as always, not that it's new, time management is one of my greatest weaknesses, even still. That typed, I do need to find a way to address the issue personally. Advice is always great, however it's up to me to make the changes I need in my life to improve as a person.

Last saturday I was completely outplayed by my buddy (2-11) in a Maelstrom Spoils of War mission, but filthy Emperor’s Children couldn’t hold their so-close victory as they were tabled out just after beginning of the turn five.

First time in my life I’ve fielded axe/shield ven dread, and first verse of his saga was 8” charge, with Daemon Prince butchered in one combat round. Just now I’m thinking about three things: naming of the venerable ancient, how to find time to take proper pics of him and the rest of the army, and the main question - what do I need next, as I’m suddenly ran out of unpainted models. :)

Literally dusting my army off after they'd been shelved since 8th hit and the new Primaris made the old regular marines look so sad. Just ordered some more intercessors to convert 10 more Wulfen out of Primaris marines, I have 5 done but want 15 altogether to replace my 15 older conversions (I despise the official Wulfen plastics). Also ordered a bunch of BP/CCW arms to re-convert those old wulfen conversions into Blood Claws. I was pretty happy w/ the conversions back in 7th, but after the Primaris hit and I made this guy they just weren't up to snuff anymore. I may also re-arm the TWC models for 8th or I may build lists w/o them and leave em home, not sure. They aren't the auto-include that they were before and I've never been fond of the TWC concept. Marines becoming werewolves is cool, marines riding giant wolves not so much

Army has needed the basing finished for a while too, it's just sand and a wash, needs highlights and grass tufts which will be easy enough, a few other details here and there. They're done enough that people don't know they aren't finished unless I tell them, but I know they aren't done and it's bothered me for a long while. High time to get them done.

So after much deliberation I am going to be getting my box of Hellblasters but I am undecided on what colour for the plasma.

I do my wolves the standard ragnar company but I'm not feeling the green or blue plasma. What are peoples thoughts on a Red plasma for the incinerators?

Great idea for a thread. I assume a lot of us check the board but don't post because not a lot going on.

My hobby hearth has been bare lately. The previous year I had a job working a lot of weird hours/days so the days I had off I was a vegetable or doing errands. Then I got a new job with less savage hours. It has opened up opportunity to play more which motivates me to hobby.

My most recent project I finished was metal Bjorn. Updated his heavy flamer to the new one. I want to do some free hand work on him to really be "done."

I am currently working on Dark Eldar *GASP*. I just got tired of painting grey so I am painting some vibrantly painted Dark Kin. I am working on getting 1000 points put together for Adepticon. I am really enjoying converting this new army. Totally different aesthetic so it is pleasing my hobby soul.

I am hopeful Chapter Approved makes some positive changes for us. A gametester said not too much got nerfed and a lot of under-utilized units got buffed.

I've been doing ok. My wolves are aggressive and have been doing solid against most all comers. Not a hyper competitive meta for me, but I've had folks throw fits on my basic bitch 2k list, especially if i go first. Looking forward to having a few more points to throw around. Anyways, my list I've been running in a nut shell...

AIR WING

Stormfang

Stormfang

Stormwolf

BATTALION

Smash Lord (wolfkin and wulfen stone)

Rune Priest (armor of Russ, powers to opponent)

3 x 5 Hunters with a plasma gun

2 x 6 Wulfen (3 th/ss, 2 axe, boss cutter)

OUTRIDER

Wolf Priest (Jump, powerfist)

3 x bitey cyber bark

Finally getting around to build completion of my 8th ed rework. Only 1k points for the first lot that Im committing to painting before adding any other built stuff to it. I'll post the lot of them later in the week when Im finished, still sourcing parts for scout conversions.

Just finished this guy tonight.

Jumpy Choppy WGBL/Lord depending on the list, complete with Black Death. rawr

986087_md-.jpg

The hobby has slowed down for me a bit lately as I've moved house and thus been confined to hobbying in our freezing conservatory that puts even Fenris' temperatures to shame, and now also having to work on a nursery (it was going to be my new hobby room until we found out we were expecting :facepalm:).

I consider myself an honorary wolf as the Wolves' codex best reflects how I've always envisioned my knightly Chapter so behold my first count as Wulfen Dreadnought that I'm just finishing off (going with counts as blizzard shield and great frost axe). Will be starting the second one in a couple of weeks between my Chapter Master and other HQs.

gallery_98904_14021_647808.jpg

gallery_98904_14021_21888.jpg

The hobby has slowed down for me a bit lately as I've moved house and thus been confined to hobbying in our freezing conservatory that puts even Fenris' temperatures to shame, and now also having to work on a nursery (it was going to be my new hobby room until we found out we were expecting :facepalm:).

I consider myself an honorary wolf as the Wolves' codex best reflects how I've always envisioned my knightly Chapter so behold my first count as Wulfen Dreadnought that I'm just finishing off (going with counts as blizzard shield and great frost axe). Will be starting the second one in a couple of weeks between my Chapter Master and other HQs.

gallery_98904_14021_647808.jpg

gallery_98904_14021_21888.jpg

Very lovely model, well done!

my hall is cold and empty because RL has a tight grip on me

i have spent the last month meeting with a handful of pool builders and landscapers to figure out if the family can get a dream backyard built sometime in 2019. I am serious when i say my limited free time has been spent researching costs...collecting pinterest images...and background checking potential contractors and reviewing their portfolios.

The fire of my hearth is like a blacksmith's forge, after the Master has died and the Apprentice is still hesitating to take the tools into his own hands.

Merely a spark, left in the uncaring winds of Fenris...

1. What are you all working on?

Slowly chipping away at the great grey mountain of shame to clean up and glue the models I still have. (Current Tempo: 1 or 2 Marines on 2 or 3 Evenings a week... yea...)

At the same time I try to find motivation to paint again soonish, while fighting the urge to sell it all or most of it.

2. What models are you waiting to assemble?

I'm holding back on Leman Russ. I want him to be my reward for painting a large bunch of my Collection.

Also the Knight Ally I want to theme after a character of folklore...

3. What unit loadouts are you considering or adjusting, and why? What models are you in need of to get closer to finishing your Packs? As far as table top tactics, strategies, and battle plans have been working for you?

My gaming group dissolved at the end of 7th. Some friends turned out to be worse than heretics. Meanwhile the two "old-school" Masters that lead our group for the last few years both turned to smaller, easier games with less or no painting involved. (One got a baby earlier this year, the other will be a father in 7 months... - also, one of them was a BT Player)

My best buddy moved quite a bit away and I can count the times we have played digitally together since then on one hand.

My local GW has a pretty competitive group of players - which is fine, just not my thing. Also there would be a problem of army logistics and especially time.

And while i got our new Codex, I doubt it will see any gaming use soon.

Which is also perfectly fine, I have settled on collecting, converting and painting.

--------

How much interest would others have in a blog-thread of Space Wolves and associated allies, converted and painted on a okayish, not really outstanding level?

@Knightsword:

With Conversions like that (and the others in your collection I have seen), you will always be a honorary Son of Russ - even long after your deeds have turned into Sagas.

Archived