Too Much Ice. More Activity Needed! Rekindle the Flames!

Karack Blackstone

To that end, what are you all working on?

What models are you waiting to assemble?

What unit loadouts are you considering or adjusting, and why?

What models are you in need of to get closer to finishing your Packs?

As Chapter Approved 2018 is due in a week or two, what do we think might receive points drops? GK's are getting some much needed love. We're not great, but we are in at least a position to see that a revisit is likely coming to us.

Well I've been working on my wolf knights generally. I have three Questoris built and painted, and three Warglaives built and painted. One Warglaive WIP. Two Questoris, and a Dominus need to be built, and two Helverins need to be built. At some point I need to get back to my Space Wolves but for that I really need to pick a new Great Company symbol and sort out getting that modified on all my models. The recent move forward in the fluff has given me some impetus for updating the markings on my wolves. I also think I need to get around to working on more Dreadnoughts, I have parts for a Mk IV Venerable and Contemptor, a Deredeo and I need to get the plastic Dreadnougt, a Leviathan and a Redemptor for I want to run something along the lines of a Dreadnought heavy army going forward as a new and refreshing direction over my tank heavy previous incarnation of my army.

Also I put my wolf Knights on my old Space Wolves display board for this year's Armies on Parade and took home first place!

gallery_24192_13370_811567.jpg

To that end, what are you all working on?

What models are you waiting to assemble?

What unit loadouts are you considering or adjusting, and why?

What models are you in need of to get closer to finishing your Packs?

As Chapter Approved 2018 is due in a week or two, what do we think might receive points drops? GK's are getting some much needed love. We're not great, but we are in at least a position to see that a revisit is likely coming to us.

Well I've been working on my wolf knights generally. I have three Questoris built and painted, and three Warglaives built and painted. One Warglaive WIP. Two Questoris, and a Dominus need to be built, and two Helverins need to be built. At some point I need to get back to my Space Wolves but for that I really need to pick a new Great Company symbol and sort out getting that modified on all my models. The recent move forward in the fluff has given me some impetus for updating the markings on my wolves. I also think I need to get around to working on more Dreadnoughts, I have parts for a Mk IV Venerable and Contemptor, a Deredeo and I need to get the plastic Dreadnougt, a Leviathan and a Redemptor for I want to run something along the lines of a Dreadnought heavy army going forward as a new and refreshing direction over my tank heavy previous incarnation of my army.

Also I put my wolf Knights on my old Space Wolves display board for this year's Armies on Parade and took home first place!

Oh my Lord, that is beautiful. Especially the diorama, which can be easily repurposed. I presume you ordered the scuplts of all those wolf heads from that fellow or company that first made the awesome Wolf Imperial Knight ages ago? I can't believe you did it not only for the normal Knights but the Armigers as well. Not to mention use Belisarius Cawl model as presumably super Dominus Techpriest.

God, I wouldn't mind fighting and being smashed by a Knight list of this painting calibre.

Oh my Lord, that is beautiful. Especially the diorama, which can be easily repurposed. I presume you ordered the scuplts of all those wolf heads from that fellow or company that first made the awesome Wolf Imperial Knight ages ago? I can't believe you did it not only for the normal Knights but the Armigers as well. Not to mention use Belisarius Cawl model as presumably super Dominus Techpriest.

God, I wouldn't mind fighting and being smashed by a Knight list of this painting calibre.

I'm glad you like it. The wolf heads on the board were actually repurposed from a hot wheels playset, thunder on wolf mountain or something like that. Someone else on this board used it to make some terrain and I asked what set it was. Found it on ebay for like, fifteen bucks or something and stripped the heads off. However while taking it apart I realized it had lights and sounds of wolf howls so, given that I know a little bit about electronics from boy scouts I decided to salvage the lights and speaker as well. Snipped some wires, re-sodder a few things, carve out a hole in the back of the display and voila, the eyes of the wolf-heads light up and the board howls when I press some trigger buttons mounted on the back.

Also yes Cawl is basically my Sacristan Super-Dominus who leads my Skitarii Household Guard. I'm also working on a Counts-as Yarrick made from Ruststalker parts who will lead my Sentinels as a Tallarn outrider detachment.

I am very happy with how the army is coming together but I do work much too slowly sometimes, I have as many Knights unpainted as I do painted, plus some thirty Skitarii and another three Sentinels to build and paint and that's just what I have purchased and while I work on my Knights my Space Wolves have sort of sat untouched for a few years. I need to start cutting down on projects and maybe sell-off some stuff I'm probably never going to get to and just focus on my Wolves and Wolf-Knights. I certainly enjoy playing the Knights, especially against other Knights. The army is now I think five for five in its recent games all against other pure Knight armies with almost identical lists. Sort-of like early Horus Heresy if both players are running pure Knights the lists will be almost the same and have the same number of Command Points, it makes for some nicely balanced contests where the difference is decided almost purely by the dice-rolls and decisions of the players instead of list-building and meta.

Speaking of the wolf heads actually the same guy now has ones for the little Titanicus Knights and I'm musing about doing a new board for next year's Armies on Parade featuring a Bastion converted into an Imperial Knight Drop Keep (a giant drop-pod castle carrying twelve knights and support) delivering Titanicus sized versions of my wolf-headed Knights into a ruined city.

I'm glad you like it. The wolf heads on the board were actually repurposed from a hot wheels playset, thunder on wolf mountain or something like that. Someone else on this board used it to make some terrain and I asked what set it was. Found it on ebay for like, fifteen bucks or something and stripped the heads off. However while taking it apart I realized it had lights and sounds of wolf howls so, given that I know a little bit about electronics from boy scouts I decided to salvage the lights and speaker as well. Snipped some wires, re-sodder a few things, carve out a hole in the back of the display and voila, the eyes of the wolf-heads light up and the board howls when I press some trigger buttons mounted on the back.

Also yes Cawl is basically my Sacristan Super-Dominus who leads my Skitarii Household Guard. I'm also working on a Counts-as Yarrick made from Ruststalker parts who will lead my Sentinels as a Tallarn outrider detachment.

I am very happy with how the army is coming together but I do work much too slowly sometimes, I have as many Knights unpainted as I do painted, plus some thirty Skitarii and another three Sentinels to build and paint and that's just what I have purchased and while I work on my Knights my Space Wolves have sort of sat untouched for a few years. I need to start cutting down on projects and maybe sell-off some stuff I'm probably never going to get to and just focus on my Wolves and Wolf-Knights. I certainly enjoy playing the Knights, especially against other Knights. The army is now I think five for five in its recent games all against other pure Knight armies with almost identical lists. Sort-of like early Horus Heresy if both players are running pure Knights the lists will be almost the same and have the same number of Command Points, it makes for some nicely balanced contests where the difference is decided almost purely by the dice-rolls and decisions of the players instead of list-building and meta.

Speaking of the wolf heads actually the same guy now has ones for the little Titanicus Knights and I'm musing about doing a new board for next year's Armies on Parade featuring a Bastion converted into an Imperial Knight Drop Keep (a giant drop-pod castle carrying twelve knights and support) delivering Titanicus sized versions of my wolf-headed Knights into a ruined city.

Hotwheels..... gotta remember that. They do have a lot of weird bits and pieces. Maybe one of these days, I'll walk through Hamley's or Toys R Us to get inspiration for Armies on Parade. Then try e-bay the bits I want.

Just curious, have you tried a force of Wolves and Ad Mech Skitarii before? (just the metal men without Knights and Kastelan Robots) If so, how did they work? recently I remembered from Know No Fear HH novel that there was a particularly interesting Skitarii commander which provided me with ability to emphathize with the metal men. And so, make me consider to have a side project of skitarii despite my mono-army approach to date.

Hotwheels..... gotta remember that. They do have a lot of weird bits and pieces. Maybe one of these days, I'll walk through Hamley's or Toys R Us to get inspiration for Armies on Parade. Then try e-bay the bits I want.

Just curious, have you tried a force of Wolves and Ad Mech Skitarii before? (just the metal men without Knights and Kastelan Robots) If so, how did they work? recently I remembered from Know No Fear HH novel that there was a particularly interesting Skitarii commander which provided me with ability to emphathize with the metal men. And so, make me consider to have a side project of skitarii despite my mono-army approach to date.

Actually I looked it up, it was a Matchbox cars set called just Wolf Mountain.

As for Skitarii and wolves I haven't tried it but I could see some uses. Onager Dunecrawlers can put out some considerable anti-armor firepower with the awesome neutron laser or defend against flyers with the icarus array. Sydonian Dragoons are fast and can hit hard if you want some rapid-flanking and Skitarii troops are pretty good for their cost. Their plasma weapons are good and can dish out some damage and they are also a troops choice that can take as many as three sniper rifles that can target characters in a single squad. All three of those things could potentially dovetail nicely into a Space Wolves list.

@ fearpetey - Sounds like I'm repeating myself but your diorama also deserves the exclamation Oh my Lord, that is beautiful. Of note, your Ven dread with the Fenrisian Great Axe looks particularly unique, the axe I mean.

Thanks! Yea I love my dreads a ton. I was just getting my contemptor build not 5 minutes ago! I had meant to finish painting my second venerable but I didn’t get a chance to paint. He’s close though!

I just made my own Wolf Mountain too haha. I was calling it “pack rock” though since I was watching the lion kindly with the little pup.

Very nice, reminds me of a couple of SW display boards I've seen before at NOVA in recent years. I guess rocky cliffs are a common board idea for us wolves... can't imagine why... :whistling:

It also reminds me of a board I saw this year:

gallery_24192_13370_379466.jpg

I just made my own Wolf Mountain too haha. I was calling it “pack rock” though since I was watching the lion kindly with the little pup.

Very nice, reminds me of a couple of SW display boards I've seen before at NOVA in recent years. I guess rocky cliffs are a common board idea for us wolves... can't imagine why... :whistling:

gallery_24192_13370_379466.jpg

Yea it’s hard since I like the outdoor snow bases. I’d really love to do a display within the fang of all my dreads with the iron priests maintaining them but I’d have to rebase everything to get it to fit and that’s a big old no thanks from me. I have a few tricks up my sleeve though before I start stressing the display ideas though...

That's nice too except for those damn bananas hanging at the bottom right.

@ fearpetey, I hope your vision of "pack rock" aka "pride rock" from the Lion King is the 1995 one, not the upcoming one CGI one. (will reserve judgement till i see it, but I'm wishing they stop with making the old classic animation into CGI animation. Oh well, at least I got Wreck it Ralph 2 to look forward to).

There is a big exit wound in the back of my head after seeing all those dioramas, mind = blown!

@ fearpetey, I hope your vision of "pack rock" aka "pride rock" from the Lion King is the 1995 one, not the upcoming one CGI one. (will reserve judgement till i see it, but I'm wishing they stop with making the old classic animation into CGI animation. Oh well, at least I got Wreck it Ralph 2 to look forward to).

I too am reserving judgement on the remake. Rowan Atkinson isn't coming back as Zazu which makes it less appealing :laugh.:

On my working station I am having a couple of aggressors in making, and in the pile of shame, I have a couple of packs of skyclaws in dire need of converting and painting. I hope to get a two to three razorbacks soon and I am in need to get a two dreadnought sets, so I can make two Wulven dreads running along with Bjorn.
I am not really considering anything over that, not before the CA drops, after that I might see. I always get more Space wolf packs so I have the bits to convert any kind of ordinary marine set or primaris, my aggressors are coming along fine and I think the look wolfy enough. Pics will come later.

This weekend will be my first game in awhile. My work has been crazy at it always is for the last few months of the year until March of the following year. Playing 2k worth of the Rout versus Abby's Black Legion. Bjorn, two other dreads and seven termies with Arjac should be fun to play with. I usually run with Wulfen and TWC but I could use a break from them.

I just got done listening to the audiobook version of Wolfsbane while driving for Thanksgiving vacation. It has rekindled the urge to do some proper space vikings. I have far too many models on the bookcase(s) of shame, but due to my glacial pace, I have a ton of things that I can use to wolf up my troops. I like the look of the Wulfen heads and arms on Primaris bodies, I despise the main Wulfen models. 

I really like the look of the Primaris dudes, the scale just seems right. I don't think I'll be making any mini marines any time soon. I'm hoping with Calgar getting the Primaris treatment that it opens the door for some older sculpts to be redone as well. Here's looking at you Ragnar. If they do that, I may finally be convinced to actually do Ragnar's GC since those are the embossed bits they give us.

Other than that I've been working on my Titanicus stuff recently. I've done a total of 4 Warlords, 4 Reavers and 4 Warhounds, a pair of each for Legio Mortis and Legio Astorum.

Hello all, ran out of likes.

Great job doing the check ins and updating each other on how things are going overall.

While I cannot paint, isn't there usually a winter building and/or painting vow event in here? Winter (something) or other?

I wonder if there is any collective opinion that we all can agree on as to whether or not to push for something like that these days. With the holiday season in pretty solid swing, it might be best to wait until after the New Year instead of getting in the way of friends, family and faith time. Either way, again, thanks for all the wonderful posts.

Please keep the hobby hearth in your heart. Life does happen, so just get to it when, where, and how you can!

Hello all, ran out of likes.

Great job doing the check ins and updating each other on how things are going overall.

While I cannot paint, isn't there usually a winter building and/or painting vow event in here? Winter (something) or other?

I wonder if there is any collective opinion that we all can agree on as to whether or not to push for something like that these days. With the holiday season in pretty solid swing, it might be best to wait until after the New Year instead of getting in the way of friends, family and faith time. Either way, again, thanks for all the wonderful posts.

Please keep the hobby hearth in your heart. Life does happen, so just get to it when, where, and how you can!

I don't see why we couldn't have another Winter Advance. Could set sign-ups to end at the end of December, and the event to run through the end of February or so. Maybe get in touch with one of the mods about it.

BTW I found the board I saw a few years ago. It was mid game and the board was for a SW&DA super-friends list with Ravenwing bikers and Thunderwolf Cavalry and so forth:

gallery_24192_13370_891505.jpg

Also four years of Armies on Parade with my board:

This was my first time entering, took home silver that year:

gallery_24192_13370_1587051.jpg

Second year I put more on the board and didn't have the Knight as it was WIP being painted over to Gray at the time. However I think in part some confusion over 6's and 9's mixed up the votes a bit that year and I didn't place.

gallery_24192_13370_296772.jpg

Third year I shifted over to my Wolf Knights. I picked up Renegade the year before and slowly built and painted up three Wolf Knights instead of one. Didn't place this year either, the competition was fierce but I did take home the Monsters and Machines certificate... thingy. I also completely forgot about the Inner Circle competition thing GW was doing, my local shop wound up with only three entries, I had meant to enter but wound up busy that day, it's a shame.

gallery_24192_13370_1441990.jpg

This year and my fourth year entering Armies on Parade with the same board. The models were mostly the same, I just added three of the four Armiger Warglaives I picked up as part of Forgebane, number 4 still needs some paint. I think for next year I am really going to have to put together a new board but given that this one has electronics with lights and sound I feel like anything I do that does not at least also have lights would be a step backwards... darnit! For year four I managed to take first place and the certificate for Best Thematic Board. So this board has now racked up a first and second place win, and two certificate awards over the last four years... not bad I think.

gallery_24192_13370_811567.jpg

I also put some WIP shots in my B&C gallery if anyone wants to see. Pink foam and spackle painted gray really and nailed to a base board. I glued some felt to the bottom just so I could slide it around without scratching up the table surface as well.

@ Vash113 - Oh my Lord (Dear God, I know it's Advent season, but I seem to be invoking and thinking of Him more than usual. Oh well.... tis the season), that is a beautiful progression. I can't imagine how long and how difficult getting the materials and sculpting it would be. I'm guessing it is styrofoam or cardboard, something malleable to make as the "Cliff".

Didn't notice the first time I saw your diorama, but now I'm thinking that the two wolf head statues somehow remind me of the Cat's Lair from Thundercats.

Back to topic, for my pile of shame, I still have a few Reivers, some Wolf Guard Sergeants with Wolf claws, and strangely enough, some Multim Melta Long Fangs which I assembled because I want to use up my old Long Fang sprues and since I'm somewhat of a hoarder, I have kept the multimelta sprues for years without throwing them away despite the unlikelihood I'll ever field them (rule of cool aside, being more expensive than a Lascannon is really disgraceful and inefficient, just for an extra AP). Still, I plan to make them a surprise factor one day just for laughts (either for me when it works, or my opponent when it doesn't). Cunning of the Wolf + Keen Senses + Wolf's Eye reroll wounds on 5 multimeltas will either hilariously erase a Stompa or bounce off a Knight.

Oh yeah, and whatever that's in the Tooth and Claw box also is in my pile of shame. But I'll get the Battle Leader ready before the New Year I promise myself.

@ Vash113 - Oh my Lord (Dear God, I know it's Advent season, but I seem to be invoking and thinking of Him more than usual. Oh well.... tis the season), that is a beautiful progression. I can't imagine how long and how difficult getting the materials and sculpting it would be. I'm guessing it is styrofoam or cardboard, something malleable to make as the "Cliff".

Didn't notice the first time I saw your diorama, but now I'm thinking that the two wolf head statues somehow remind me of the Cat's Lair from Thundercats.

I have some WIP shots in my gallery now. The main structure is pink insulation foam which I had laying around from past projects and decided to use up in one fell swoop. Then ontop of that I layered spackle, used to fill holes in drywall, all over the foam with my hands and made some grooves and ridges. Sanded all of that down, primed black and painted it up gray and silver and that was about that. I put the whole thing together in under a week while I was sleeping on the floor during a house renovation, and all because the manager of my local store said he was only expecting three or four entrants and I figured I stood a chance of placing if there wasn't going to be much competition.

Back to topic, for my pile of shame, I still have a few Reivers, some Wolf Guard Sergeants with Wolf claws, and strangely enough, some Multim Melta Long Fangs which I assembled because I want to use up my old Long Fang sprues and since I'm somewhat of a hoarder, I have kept the multimelta sprues for years without throwing them away despite the unlikelihood I'll ever field them (rule of cool aside, being more expensive than a Lascannon is really disgraceful and inefficient, just for an extra AP). Still, I plan to make them a surprise factor one day just for laughts (either for me when it works, or my opponent when it doesn't). Cunning of the Wolf + Keen Senses + Wolf's Eye reroll wounds on 5 multimeltas will either hilariously erase a Stompa or bounce off a Knight.

Oh yeah, and whatever that's in the Tooth and Claw box also is in my pile of shame. But I'll get the Battle Leader ready before the New Year I promise myself.

That's not too bad a pile of shame, I don't even want to list what I still have to work on, even for my Wolves it's gotten a bit excessive. So much so I couldn't even bring myself to pick up Tooth and Claw even though I wanted to. I still have two sets of Dark Imperium Primaris Marines I don't know what I'm going to do with, I just couldn't justify getting more...

• 2 weeks later...

Finished converting the 9 more Wulfen this weekend, now have 3 squads of the claw/axe/3x hammer&shield loadout that seems popular this edition. Basecoat and frost effects airbrushed, needs details and washes of course, but progress nonetheless. Took longer than I intended to convert, they aren't difficult conversions but each needs to be matched and cut individually to make a natural pose. I don't require everything I build to have a unique pose, but it's a nice bonus on these guys

20181217_073210_resized.jpg

20181217_073219_resized.jpg

Finished converting the 9 more Wulfen this weekend, now have 3 squads of the claw/axe/3x hammer&shield loadout that seems popular this edition. Basecoat and frost effects airbrushed, needs details and washes of course, but progress nonetheless. Took longer than I intended to convert, they aren't difficult conversions but each needs to be matched and cut individually to make a natural pose. I don't require everything I build to have a unique pose, but it's a nice bonus on these guys

20181217_073210_resized.jpg

20181217_073219_resized.jpg

Gorgeous model conversions.

Tutorial please?

If willing to do a tutorial, please make a thread dedicated to informing the rest of the Fang as to how you managed this amazing badassery.

Gorgeous model conversions.

Tutorial please?

If willing to do a tutorial, please make a thread dedicated to informing the rest of the Fang as to how you managed this amazing badassery.

Thanks! I'm not sure they really need a full tutorial, but I'll take some in-process pics if I make any more. They're just regular Intercessor easy-build bodies from the starter set and wulfen arms, weapons and heads from ebay bits resellers. Liquid plastic glue is essential for these conversions, it lets you adjust the position as it's drying and the final model is completely welded into a solid plastic piece by it. Torsos/legs are glued together like normal and any with the built-in upper arms or shoulderpads are clipped off as appropriate. I just pick a Wulfen plastic arm that matches the pose I want and sand the "armpits" down flat to match the torso. There's some big ugly gaps, but those get filled with putty (if I even bother), most of it gets covered by the shoulderpads. Weapons are then glued to the arms at an angle that looks good. There's a big range of movement depending on what angle you cut the armpits at (even though the arms are mostly the same) and it's the most time consuming [art because each one needs to be done to fit that particular pose. It's easy enough to eyeball the cuts and get close enough or shave them down more if you really want to fine tune it, they're very forgiving conversions because the shoulderpads hide so much. The 2-handed axes are slightly challenging, but not terribly so, you just glue both arms to the axe haft first, twisting the arms at the wrist to so the shouders leave a space roughly torso-wide, then glue them to the torso and fill in any gaps with putty, cover it in a shoulderpad. Heads are wulfen heads with some kind of bit glued to the back of the head to form the neck. Oddly enough, a GW plastic skull is perfect for the socket in the back of the wulfen heads, glue in the back of the skull into the wulfen head-socket and the skull's chin becomes the neck. Cover the skull-neck in putty and slupt it to look vaguely like hair, you really don't see it much.

You can see some better pictures on my post over on Dakkadakka when I did the original squad

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/730875.page#9467412

Archived