Too Much Ice. More Activity Needed! Rekindle the Flames!

Karack Blackstone

Somewhat jokingly...

*Stirs the embers, hoping to rekindle the flames again...*

I need to get to work on some of my mini's at this rate. I won't lie, I have a sizable backlog myself. For what it's worth, many of the models I intend to build I am unsure how to do so, as I have a new best friend: I have a cat now! So, clearly the nom-bit problem is high when trying to kitbash at home.

So much wonderful work being done. I mostly just lurk but I'm feeling kind of accomplished.

I've put together a 5man Wulfen unit with Reiver bodies and legs and wolf guard to bits.

Here's where things got complicated. I decided that my ironwolves should not ride regular wolves and began working on converting juggernauts. I've never sculpted or worked with green stuff before. https://imgur.com/a/KbJ5NRn

"Much like a dreadnought is to us, the thunderwolf is to them"

I think for the upcoming 2019, I'm going to dust off my terminators and start using them as sergeants for outflanking squads as well as my Long Fangs. My primary intention is to use them as bullet sponges as opposed to DPS. Reason is due to the rather massive cost saving of terminators, over 10 points cheaper I think, which I think can be viable for squads again.

As for full terminator squads, I still have to get over my bad luck and trauma regarding them, similar to TWC.

I have a massive pile to get through, just finishing up some more LF's, then 10 wulfen, TWC, some characters and Murderfang - converting from the forge world ven dread. I really want to work on some termies though so I'm going to sort out two with cyclones for my LF laddies and then maybe a few more just cos they're awesome.

Deliberately trying to build up a backlog of stuff for the new year as when my daughter is born I won't be buying much for a loonnnnggggg time. My "Wulfen" dreadnought got a little brother for Christmas. Reckon a dreadnought with a pair of swords would pass as a count-as Murderfang?

knight dreadnought02 03

brothers 01

I've been keeping on painting my wolves. Our local store will be running a Viligus Campaign next year, so the Wolves will be representing! I've played against only Orks and Adeptus Mechanicus so far with my Space Wolves, so I'm hoping to find (eventually), more diverse foes to fight!

Progress report, Christmas gifts started arriving early and I was instructed by the Allfather to open them.

So my plan of Hellblasters is a go but I also have Grimnar on storm rider to finish building and paint (he has been magnetised for both profiles!)

Speaking of does anyone know what size base I need for him on foot?

Hm.

So my Logan GC got quite a bit more points efficient.

The only problem is, armor saturation at any points level is going to be hard from both sides of the fight. Managing losses and mitigating packs needing to hoof it under fire support after a ride gets popped...

As far as Primaris go, I will have when done with my massive list quite a number of packs, mostly Intercessors.

Which Bolt Rifle variant gets the best results? I’m thinking the normal BR itself.

Also, is the Stormhawk with Skyhammer Missile Launcher and Icarus Stormcannon a good anti-air assest? 170-ish seems good for such a high hunting value to secure the skies...

Depends on the anti air you need. I love em in general and they rule against all flavor of elves esp when you use keen sences.

If you going hunting for eldar flyers though you’re going to die. While we have to make flight plans 3 turns ahead of the game, eldar flyers just do what they want and will just kill you with maneuvering.

In short it’s not that great of a fighter but for my money with keen senses it’s got great all around value.

Primaris...

- What is the best pack equipped Bolt Rifle variant? I think the base BR is the best all around option.

- Besides the torso, and elevation of the carried weapon, is there really any further posing ability considering the rather static models and their poses? Combinations seem... lackluster.

I think I may end up with this as my standard Intercessor Pack:

- 1 Intercessor Leader, Bolt Rifle, BP, Chainsword

- 9 Intercessors, 9 BR's

- Repulsor, I forget the loadout, mostly dakka, with a decent spread of grenade launchers. Has the two Onslaught Gatling weapons, however.

I am running these in a very expensive points and money wise large list, assuming it ever gets fully assembled. I guess my overall question is, other than very limited kitbashing options, are there really that few ways to combine and pose the models out of their own box?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Finally decided to add a Levi dred to my SW. I faced a regular opponent who brought out 3 Decimators with soulburners. He mortal wounded my terminator squad to death in one round of shooting. I need to up the dakka so I figure double cannon array will do the trick. 20 STR 7 shots at -2 AP and 2 DMG a shot will do the trick.

I figured as much. Thanks Triszin, the confirmation assists me greatly.

As it is, I have to find the skill and manage my time better so I can start to get some mini's built. As it is, I have a pretty large backlog. Still, the chance to work on it is hard, especially with a small feline friend now, who would LOVE to eat my model bits. Can't have that happen, I won't let him risk his life choking on them...

Anyway, maybe tomorrow if I can manage it. Still, thanks, that helps greatly.

Primaris...

- What is the best pack equipped Bolt Rifle variant? I think the base BR is the best all around option.

- Besides the torso, and elevation of the carried weapon, is there really any further posing ability considering the rather static models and their poses? Combinations seem... lackluster.

I think I may end up with this as my standard Intercessor Pack:

- 1 Intercessor Leader, Bolt Rifle, BP, Chainsword

- 9 Intercessors, 9 BR's

- Repulsor, I forget the loadout, mostly dakka, with a decent spread of grenade launchers. Has the two Onslaught Gatling weapons, however.

I still like the stalkers on at least one backfield squad, if only because only 1 in 3 games sees them getting pressured so the range is key. I don’t run them aggressively because I use our classic infantry options for that so YMMV

I guess my overall question is, other than very limited kitbashing options, are there really that few ways to combine and pose the models out of their own box?

Please advise.

Yea pretty much no possibility other than arms but the legs and torsos lean a certain way that there’s not too many options. I’m hoping further kits expand them.

I had my first match for the year the other day. 2k Ad-mech vs My wolves. I was not amused that we got a No mercy mission as I knew my opponent would bunch up his ad-mech in a corner and make me come to him. He on the other hand was not amused realizing that there was many scary targets on my side. My Wulven dreads together with Bjorn took the bulk of the shooting the first turn, but they had all survived due to their shields. My Skyclaws moved forward aggressively with a wolf priest and rune priest tagging along behind them. My long fangs and whirlwind took first victory points as they pounded the closest skitarris. Several Skyclaws and a Wulven dread went down turn two, but he realized that sure, the very scary stuff was taking a beating, but my grey hunters was also closing in fast as my advance roles had been very good. The average of my advance rolls was 5!  Outflanking aggressors arrived close to the his line and the shooting phase started.  My long fangs destroyed one dune crawler and and more chaff and the whirlwind destroyed one of those ad-mech robots. The charge phase was incredibly interesting, the skyclaws rolled a two for charge and could not reach their target, but the over watch did nothing to them. My Aggressor on the other hand rolled a twelve and charged into the flank of his army. Bjorn and the surviving Wulven dread reached his line and and the ensuing mayhem was glorious. 
My opponent conceded after that, as he knew I would continue to slaughter his army as they were to closely bunched up and I would just continue to slaughter his squads.
He knew he had put some of his squads to close so I could reach his lines in the second turn, he did not have a knight which would have been a problem for me, I was incredibly lucky with my advance and charge rolls. We have meet each other several times, but this time I was not as elity as I use to be, I had almost as many minis as he had. I can't say I learned that much as the thing that made me win was some awesome rolls, managing to charge with four out five units the second turn is not a thing you can count on, but I can say that I was surprised how well my Aggressors worked.

Cpt.Danjou

I am definitely opting for the stalker bolters, I'm running 3x 5 man intercessor as a CP battery plus objective grabber, they won't be running to the front. Also great to try and pull lone wolf stratagem by adding a power fist on the sergeant.

Well with the lack of any new announcements for the Primaris my hearth is remaining pretty cold for my SWs.

Going to start painting some intercessors, modifying some Wulfen as Thegns, and my plans with reiver/TWC are on hold, I just don't think TWC are a good choice without outflanking or something else. I have a Redemptor dread coming but no real will to build him as the rest of my army is a skeleton.

My single biggest problem right now is time management.

One major modeling question: what is the most effective way to take a SW/SM PA helmet head and turn it into a worn helmet? The mounting peg that keeps the head in the torso is easy enough to clip off, I would think. How do I make sure it's a worthwhile mounting point and where do I put it, as I do like the idea of bare heads, just, if I have enough PA SW / SM heads, a helmet at least on the model will certainly help immensely...

My single biggest problem right now is time management.

One major modeling question: what is the most effective way to take a SW/SM PA helmet head and turn it into a worn helmet? The mounting peg that keeps the head in the torso is easy enough to clip off, I would think. How do I make sure it's a worthwhile mounting point and where do I put it, as I do like the idea of bare heads, just, if I have enough PA SW / SM heads, a helmet at least on the model will certainly help immensely...

So like the helmet at the hip look? They describe mag locking most gear to their armor pretty frequently. Rule of cool at the hip or wherever serves the model IMO.

Archived