Khorne berzerkers and tactics, fluff question.

Token

In recent times we've definitely gotten more interesting Berzerkers. Outside of battle they come across as short-tempered, matter-of-fact, and (at least on the surface) very crass and abrasive. In Talon of Horus, there's some insight that they're still very intelligent and have retained some of the strong camraderie seen in Betrayer. In battle, the Nails seem to be something that operates in degrees rather than an on/off switch.

The reason the World Eaters are one of my favorite legions is because the Nails produce a side-effect in their narrative that I think was unintended (possibly, if ADB stumbles across this, perhaps he can clarify, I have not learned how he is summoned). World Eaters combat ends up reading like historical accounts of warfare from before the modern era. There's lots of planning, lots of positioning, but the commanders know that once the armies actually engage there will be an increasing degradation of command and control. In the case of the World Eaters, this is because the Nails start to bite and they turn into warriors as opposed to soldiers. While historically the breakdown was usually just to the lack of good communications.

If you want to have some in depths on the matter then you should definatly read "Betrayer" and "Khârn; Eater of Worlds".

Its really interesting and they have some of the most bad ass scenes, involving Zerkers and specificaly Khârn.

Funny thing is that Khârn, outside of battles and fights, was actually a pretty chill guy.

If you want to have some in depths on the matter then you should definatly read "Betrayer" and "Khârn; Eater of Worlds".

Its really interesting and they have some of the most bad ass scenes, involving Zerkers and specificaly Khârn.

Funny thing is that Khârn, outside of battles and fights, was actually a pretty chill guy.

Yeah, I've noticed that Khârn was actually relatively chill outside of battles and fights. It's quite an interesting contrast to when he's "on" in a sense. If one's ever heard of the literary term "Red Oni/Blue Oni" [Two characters, one passionate, headstrong and wild (red), and the other level-headed, collected and rational (blue), are associated with each other for contrast.], Khârn would be the Blue Oni to Angron's red. And even in the 40th Millennium that's still accurate :laugh.:

Yeah, I've noticed that Khârn was actually relatively chill outside of battles and fights. It's quite an interesting contrast to when he's "on" in a sense. If one's ever heard of the literary term "Red Oni/Blue Oni" [Two characters, one passionate, headstrong and wild (red), and the other level-headed, collected and rational (blue), are associated with each other for contrast.], Khârn would be the Blue Oni to Angron's red. And even in the 40th Millennium that's still accurate :laugh.:

I could probably answer this myself by reading more BL but did something change in Khârn after Skalathrax? I've always seen him described post- that (i.e. in the 40k world) as an insane berserker, which in Betrayer and even the Red Path, he very much is not. 

I could probably answer this myself by reading more BL but did something change in Khârn after Skalathrax? I've always seen him described post- that (i.e. in the 40k world) as an insane berserker, which in Betrayer and even the Red Path, he very much is not.

I think it's less that Khârn has gone totally insane and more that he's stopped pretending to have any shred of chill left after all the years with the Nails.

From What ive seen/read hes still himself more or less but when he gets lost to the nails mow he REALLY REALLY gets lost haha and they seem to take hold much quicker as well

I am starting a csm army soon and the core of it will be berzerkers/chosen. Atm I do not have any rhinos so my zerkers gotta footslog up the battlefield. I want to know if I should run as renegades or world eaters? Renegades have pretty good mobility but world eaters get so many free attacks with zerkers. I will also be using psykers (my warband has a story). Thoughts?

Lacking transports, I’d run them as Renegades. The extra attacks that World Eaters get are great, but they have lots of attacks on their own. Being able to advance and charge is pretty sweet.

However, another perk of running them as WE is that they count as troops, which for detachment and objective holding purposes is nice. You’d need cultists or chaos marines to fill out the troops section, unless you want to bring the elites detachment (vanguard, is it?) to bypass that requirement.

Another thing to consider is maybe playing smaller games in terms of points and table size until you get some rhinos. Footslogging Berzerkers are gonna get shot to hell, and at least with a smaller table they’ll have a chance of doing something. The rhinos are pretty crucial, overall.

Some food for thought.

Lacking transports, I’d run them as Renegades. The extra attacks that World Eaters get are great, but they have lots of attacks on their own. Being able to advance and charge is pretty sweet.

However, another perk of running them as WE is that they count as troops, which for detachment and objective holding purposes is nice. You’d need cultists or chaos marines to fill out the troops section, unless you want to bring the elites detachment (vanguard, is it?) to bypass that requirement.

Another thing to consider is maybe playing smaller games in terms of points and table size until you get some rhinos. Footslogging Berzerkers are gonna get shot to hell, and at least with a smaller table they’ll have a chance of doing something. The rhinos are pretty crucial, overall.

Some food for thought.

As it stands yes I'd just be bringing Vanguard detachments of them, although I may look into proxying my storm raven as a storm eagle. What's the size difference between the two models, do you know?

Archived