Through Perilous Stars - An Invaders Chapter plog

So I have a bunch of Primaris from random box sets I haven't been painting.

To do list:

Based but missing the odd detail

30 Intercessors

10 helblasters

6 inceptors

1 Dark Imperium Lieutenant

Company Ancient

Store Birthday Captain

6 Aggressors

1 Primaris Librarian

1 Phobos Librarian

3 Eliminators

11 Infiltrators

5 Incursors

10 Reivers

Shadowspear Phobos Lieutenant

Chaplain conversion

3 Shadowspear suppressors

2 Redemptor Dreadnoughts

In progress

4 Infiltrators

5 Incursors

3 Outriders

Judiciar

Indomitus Lieutenant

3 Bladeguard Veterans

Bladeguard Ancient

3 Eradicators

Undercoated

10 assault intercessors

Not even undercoated

1 Dark Imperium Lieutenant

5 assault intercessors

The Captain was half painted in a box, the rest either on the sprue or partly built.

gallery_85153_15039_339684.png

gallery_85153_15039_362184.png

Goal was to have a nice bright 2nd edition-esque scheme. Still not sure what company to go for. Red and yellow will probably look best on the green.

So at the end of November I got started on my first 10 intercessors to see if I could do a simple white undercoat, moot green, biel tan green and then highlight with nurgling green and ushabti bone scheme.

gallery_85153_15039_530745.png

gallery_85153_15039_654372.png

They're going to get called Salamanders a lot if I take them to a tournament :sweat:

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Next goal is to get a third combat squad and a second HQ ready so I can field a battalion.

gallery_85153_15039_430778.png

But I like painting marines without back packs and arms but hate having to paint that stuff when the body is done so I'm going to just go ahead and paint a ton of extra bobbins to put on various latter batches on infantry. I did this before with my Black Legion and it helped a lot.

gallery_85153_15039_427178.png

gallery_85153_15039_32551.png

Painting arms first looks a bit silly.

gallery_85153_15039_739356.png

gallery_85153_15039_458472.png

Moot green is really bright, almost neon, before you slap a biel tan green wash over it.

gallery_85153_15039_404310.png

3rd combat squad is getting close to done. Next I want to start basing them before moving on to support squads.

gallery_85153_15039_1082115.png

Characters wip.

First battalion getting close to done. Still need to finish the chapter badges, the banner and the Captain's cloak. Bone coloured skulls on a white background turns out to look terrible, something I should have known before I started painting this chapter.

gallery_85153_15039_600167.png

Want to get these guys based, then I'll move onto the support units.

Thinking about character names now. Every IC and every sergeant needs a name. The Star chapter symbol on the shoulder pad makes me think of 19th century Americans for some reason and my favorite 19th century Americans names are the ones with boring English surnames and wacky pretentious Biblical or classical first names. I don't want to use actual names but I like the idea of mismatched first names and surnames, the only problem is that they can also end up really comical.

Brainstorming

Shalmaneser Higgins

Lysimachus Tuffnell

Euthydemus Hawthorn

Mithridates Wormwood

Ahasuerus Bromley

Pausanius Scarborough

Ariobarzanes Whitby

Psammetichus Roberts

Sardanapalus Lenton

A little 'sci-fi-ication' of modern-day names goes a long way – it's something Dan Abnett does a lot. Try removing syllables, transposing vowels or swapping common endings between names.

Examples, using the top UK ten baby names 2018:

Oliver - Oler
Harry - Harr
George - Geirgas
Noah - Ahno
Jack - Iack
Jacob - Jabin
Leo - Ilio
Oscar - Ascor
Charlie - Cherlai
Muhammad - Hummud

If you're after some really fantastic Christian names, try the English Puritans – there's a copy of Curiosities of Puritan Nomenclature (1888) viewable on the (always inspirational) Public Domain Review website here: https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/curiosities-of-puritan-nomenclature-1888/

How does 'Ebedmelech' strike you? Or 'Epaphroditus'? 'Learn-wisdom' is a fun one; and the Review themselves pick out '“Job-rakt-out-of-the-asshes” and “Dancell-Dallphebo-Marke-Antony-Dallery-Galleiy-Caesar"'
Edited by Apologist

A little 'sci-fi-ication' of modern-day names goes a long way – it's something Dan Abnett does a lot. Try removing syllables, transposing vowels or swapping common endings between names.

Examples, using the top UK ten baby names 2018:

Oliver - Oler
Harry - Harr
George - Geirgas
Noah - Ahno
Jack - Iack
Jacob - Jabin
Leo - Ilio
Oscar - Ascor
Charlie - Cherlai
Muhammad - Hummud

If you're after some really fantastic Christian names, try the English Puritans – there's a copy of Curiosities of Puritan Nomenclature (1888) viewable on the (always inspirational) Public Domain Review website here: https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/curiosities-of-puritan-nomenclature-1888/

How does 'Ebedmelech' strike you? Or 'Epaphroditus'? 'Learn-wisdom' is a fun one; and the Review themselves pick out '“Job-rakt-out-of-the-asshes” and “Dancell-Dallphebo-Marke-Antony-Dallery-Galleiy-Caesar"'

Oh yeah, Puritan names are one lovely rabbit hole of "what in the world?"

Probably the most well-known is Nicholas If-Jesus-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone, better known as Nicholas Barbon, pioneer of fire insurance.

Side note: I can't not see "Hummud" and think of "Hummer" as in the vehicle :laugh.:

Also, another way to use George would be Georgius, as 40k loves the Latin versions of names.

Actually, really. I'd recommend looking at Latin or Greek versions of common names.

Picked up a copy of first strike and the Imperial Fists battleforce so now I have pretty much enough for a 2000 points list. I'll probably take a break before finishing all of that.

gallery_85153_15039_367265.png

gallery_85153_15039_189927.png

Actually, really. I'd recommend looking at Latin or Greek versions of common names.

That's how most of the canonical 40k names are done and I'd rather add a bit more diversity.

I love the Invaders as a chapter and you've done a great job here. They always struck me as Spartans (mainly because of the 300 reference) with their limited back story, if I remember right they were reduced to three companies after the Eldar launched a retaliation attack on their homeworld. 

Keep up the good work, they're looking very nice. :tu:

The Star chapter symbol on the shoulder pad makes me think of 19th century Americans for some reason

Interesting, I always assumed it was like the one painted on the side of Sherman tanks and what have you (with "Invaders" possibly a reference to Overlord). Anyway, the idea of mismatched biblical forenames and English surnames is a good one, but the modern forms of those names might stick out a bit. If you look into their histories you'll almost always find an older form, which can be useful if you want a basis for constructing a fictional name.

A lot of your examples are place names in England, which were common surnames for American settlers. You can't do much with Bromley (Bremlegh, "bramble-wood") but Scarborough (Skarðaborg, "hare-lip's town") has changed quite a lot over the years. Wormwood (wermod, "guard of the mind") is another one with a lot of potential variation.

There is a website that might be useful, it has lists of names according to the country of origin, historical regions, mythology, etc:

https://www.behindthename.com

It might be useful as inspiration, or to find variations of names or their roots.

Edited by Elzender

gallery_85153_15039_294382.png

4th combat squad is at the same stage as the others so that means I have my first 10 man squad.

Without the height of the standard flying stands my inceptors are aiming too low at the ground. I might be able to fix that by tilting them.

gallery_85153_15039_864984.png

gallery_85153_15039_178643.png

Getting started on my Aggressor arms and the librarian so I can glue him to his base with the harder to paint regions inside his coat finished.

gallery_85153_15039_125009.png

The guns and back packs for all my intercessors are close to done so I went ahead and finished building the bodies so I could prime the last two combat squads.

gallery_85153_15039_670626.png

Also got my second helblaster combat squad primed.

gallery_85153_15039_737950.png

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the last 10 infantry.

gallery_85153_15039_124600.png

That brings the Helblasters up to a full 10 man squad that still needs basing and the guns finished, plus that guy's flesh (there's so little bare flesh in the army its going to get all done at the same time latter). Sergeant helmet isn't really done either now that I look at the photo.

gallery_85153_15039_236353.png

gallery_85153_15039_208932.png

Last intercessor combat squad need final highlights and transfers, not to mention basing and faces. The auspex scanner and arm computer will be done at the same time as ones from other squads.